Re: [mythsoc] Philip Pullman article

  • Stolzi@aol.com
    Message 1 of 47 , Mar 3, 2001
      Believe it or not, the following quote wh I found this morning in my
      MereLewis mail is NOT from Pullman:

      "Take C. S. Lewis's allegories. They are some of the vilest ever written.
      They are fascist in style and in method. If you want to see what I mean,
      read the first page of The Voyage of the Dawn Treader. Although I may happen
      to agree with the opinions, Lewis sneers at people. People who behave in the
      way he describes I _may_ find objectionable. But he says they _are_. Also I
      think he books are very badly written and morally repugnant."

      Yet this same author contradicts himself in other things he is quoted as
      saying abt CSL.

      Mary S, morally indignant
      Message 47 of 47 , Mar 10, 2001
        In a message dated 3/10/01 12:56:32 PM Eastern Standard Time, Stolzi@...
        writes:

        << Must today's children be protected from Lewis'
        evils? Or should the first chapter be revised to say simply that "Eustace's
        parents were rather disagreeable people" - as DR DOOLITTLE has (in my view
        rightly) been rewritten in certain parts, as PL Travers rewrote a bothersome
        chapter of MARY POPPINS? >>

        It's possible to take a middle position. It's possible to think a writer is
        good and to agree with him on many things and yet to disagree with him on
        others, while not finding it necessary to tell children that they should
        ignore certain points in the book. I give all my nieces and nephews a copy
        of the Chronicles of Narnia. I agree with much of Lewis said, but I think
        that (like anyone else) he was incorrect on a few issues. I don't find it
        necessary to include an "errata" list of wrong ideas in Lewis's books (or
        anyone else's books I give as presents). I think that my nieces and nephews
        are already learning the lesson that they should read a lot of books and
        think for themselves about the issues involved.