Re: [mythsoc] Digest Number 527

  • Juliet Blosser
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 3, 2001
      On Sat, Mar 03, 2001 at 03:08:50PM -0500, stephen@... wrote:
      > The carrot thing made me think of something I never thought about before. Do
      > hobbits cultivate mushrooms in fields? Does anyone do that in our times? I
      > think of mushrooms as being collected in the woods. Did farmer Maggot have a
      > private mushroom forest that Frodo poached from?

      http://www.mushroomcouncil.com/
      has some information on how mushrooms are grown in modern times, for the
      curious :)
    • Wayne G. Hammond
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 3, 2001
        Stephen wrote:

        >The carrot thing made me think of something I never thought about before.
        Do
        >hobbits cultivate mushrooms in fields? Does anyone do that in our times? I
        >think of mushrooms as being collected in the woods. Did farmer Maggot
        have a
        >private mushroom forest that Frodo poached from?

        My impression has always been that Farmer Maggot's land, in the Marish and
        so with lots of natural moisture, was simply a particularly good place to
        find wild mushrooms.

        Wayne Hammond