Re: [mythsoc] Digest Number 527

  • Juliet Blosser
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 3, 2001
      On Sat, Mar 03, 2001 at 03:08:50PM -0500, stephen@... wrote:
      > The carrot thing made me think of something I never thought about before. Do
      > hobbits cultivate mushrooms in fields? Does anyone do that in our times? I
      > think of mushrooms as being collected in the woods. Did farmer Maggot have a
      > private mushroom forest that Frodo poached from?

      http://www.mushroomcouncil.com/
      has some information on how mushrooms are grown in modern times, for the
      curious :)
    • Stolzi@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 3, 2001
        In a message dated 3/3/01 10:53:42 AM Central Standard Time,
        sschaper@... writes:

        > Or carrots sauted in virgin olive oil.

        A little off topic, but I recently discovered that baby carrots, cut into
        fine rounds, =can= be sauteed/stir fried, and very good they are, too. Just
        smother or stir them long enough to get them slightly tender.

        As for mushroom culture, don't Pennsylvania farmers grow whole basements full
        of them?

        I can see where -visually- carrots would be funnier: capering young hobbits
        reach down, grab the leaves, and pull: then run away with swinging, bright
        orange, handfuls. A hat (say) full of amorphous brown lumps would not
        photograph as well.

        mary s
      • stephen@stephen.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 3, 2001
            Stephen wrote:

            >The carrot thing made me think of something I never thought about before.
            Do
            >hobbits cultivate mushrooms in fields? Does anyone do that in our times? I
            >think of mushrooms as being collected in the woods. Did farmer Maggot
            have a
            >private mushroom forest that Frodo poached from?

            My impression has always been that Farmer Maggot's land, in the Marish and
            so with lots of natural moisture, was simply a particularly good place to
            find wild mushrooms.

            Wayne Hammond