Re: [mythsoc] Digest Number 527

  • Juliet Blosser
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 3 12:45 AM
      On Sat, Mar 03, 2001 at 03:08:50PM -0500, stephen@... wrote:
      > The carrot thing made me think of something I never thought about before. Do
      > hobbits cultivate mushrooms in fields? Does anyone do that in our times? I
      > think of mushrooms as being collected in the woods. Did farmer Maggot have a
      > private mushroom forest that Frodo poached from?

      http://www.mushroomcouncil.com/
      has some information on how mushrooms are grown in modern times, for the
      curious :)
    • Steve Schaper
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 3 8:51 AM
        mythsoc@yahoogroups.com wrote:During the 5:30 a.m. news this morning, our ABC affiliate here in Omaha ran at least a short piece of the Harry Potter movie. I don't know if it was part of the trailer, or some other kind of short cut the studio sent out for PR. My eyes weren't quite open yet, so I can't tell you what it looked like, but there was a
        sinister-sounding voice involved.

        Snape looks exactly right.

        But.

        Harry's hair is far too neat, I'm informed.

        > But don't =you= love fried carrots for breaktast?

        Or carrots sauted in virgin olive oil.
        Or carrots stuffed with sour cream and herbs and deep fat fried! Yum!

        not.

        Then again, I've wondered for a long time how Farmer Maggot could possibly grow mushrooms in a field. . .Maybe a few fairy rings, but you don't go out and sow mushrooms in rows, ya know. . .

        http://www.users.qwest.net/~sschaper/
        sschaper@...
      • Stolzi@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 3 9:48 AM
          In a message dated 3/3/01 10:53:42 AM Central Standard Time,
          sschaper@... writes:

          > Or carrots sauted in virgin olive oil.

          A little off topic, but I recently discovered that baby carrots, cut into
          fine rounds, =can= be sauteed/stir fried, and very good they are, too. Just
          smother or stir them long enough to get them slightly tender.

          As for mushroom culture, don't Pennsylvania farmers grow whole basements full
          of them?

          I can see where -visually- carrots would be funnier: capering young hobbits
          reach down, grab the leaves, and pull: then run away with swinging, bright
          orange, handfuls. A hat (say) full of amorphous brown lumps would not
          photograph as well.

          mary s
        • stephen@stephen.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 3 6:16 PM
              Stephen wrote:

              >The carrot thing made me think of something I never thought about before.
              Do
              >hobbits cultivate mushrooms in fields? Does anyone do that in our times? I
              >think of mushrooms as being collected in the woods. Did farmer Maggot
              have a
              >private mushroom forest that Frodo poached from?

              My impression has always been that Farmer Maggot's land, in the Marish and
              so with lots of natural moisture, was simply a particularly good place to
              find wild mushrooms.

              Wayne Hammond