Re: [mythsoc] HOBBIT ACTORS CHAT

  • Trudy Shaw
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 3, 2001
      Not even hobbits can live on mushrooms alone--but I didn't know they like carrots enough to steal them! From the interview, it sounds like this is an added scene rather than a substitution.

      So the burning question is whether the mushrooms show up later, or if their role in the story has been entirely handed over to the carrots. If the mushrooms have been eliminated, it must be one more ploy to bring in the U.S. audience, where, as everyone knows, carrots are a much bigger box-office draw than mushrooms--especially among the younger crowd who are more likely to say, "A movie about fungus? Ewww."! But have no fear, as news of this leaks out, someone will certainly start a "Restore Mushroom Integrity" petition.

      --Trudy Shaw

      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 3, 2001
        --- In mythsoc@y..., ERATRIANO@a... wrote:
        > In a message dated 03/03/2001 10:57:34 AM Eastern Standard Time,
        > dianejoy@e... writes:
        >
        > << Of course everyone knows it's *mushrooms.* ---djb. >>
        >
        > right.... so... did they substitute carrrots in the movie, or is
        this a list
        > joke?

        Those are not mutually exclusive options, you know. ;-)

        > I like carrots, but they are not mushrooms....

        Evidently, Peter Jackson would disagree. If you have the intestinal
        fortitude, please see the article from which the carrot reference was
        taken:

        http://netscape.eonline.com/Features/Specials/Lordrings/Location/01030
        1.html

        Here's another of my favorite quotes from it:

        "[Merry and Pippin are] the Fonzies of the town. Everyone thinks
        they're cool--they're the Danny Zukos of the Shire."

        You know, I'm beginning to wonder whether the third movie might end
        with paddy wagons blocking off the army led by Aragorn and Gandalf to
        the gates of Mordor, with constables arresting everyone and shoving a
        hand over the camera lens.

        David Finnamore
      • ERATRIANO@aol.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 3, 2001
          In a message dated 03/03/2001 12:30:23 PM Eastern Standard Time,
          daeron@... writes:

          << "[Merry and Pippin are] the Fonzies of the town. Everyone thinks
          they're cool--they're the Danny Zukos of the Shire."

          please just shoot me now. Ohhhh the mortification, when all the
          otherwise-good folks who never read LOTR see this movie and think that's what
          we've all been possessed by these many years.

          Lizzie, oh the pain!!