Re: [mythsoc] Re: article on HP and mythopoesis

  • Ted Sherman
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 3, 2001
      Also, read Lewis's Preface in the Eerdmans editions of George MacDonald's _Lilith_ and _Phantastes_, in which he discusses mythopoesis and asserts that MacDonald is the supreme mythopoeic artist.

      Ted Sherman

      Trudy Shaw wrote:

      > Welcome, David --
      >
      > Start with Tolkien's essay "On Fairy-Stories" in The Tolkien Reader, which I'm sure is still available in paperback (I hope so, since I'm about ready for a new one). Then, in the same book, move to "Leaf by Niggle" for a delightful use of the ideas. "On Fairy-Stories," in fact, includes the poem which Tolkien says he "...wrote to a man who described myth and fairy-story as... 'Breathing a lie through Silver.'" The man he wrote it for was C.S. Lewis, and although the poem isn't given a title in the essay, it usually goes by "Mythopoesis."
      >
      > That's just the beginning. The door opens wide from there, with Tolkien's own letters, other people's books on Tolkien's writing (I'd especially suggest those by Verlyn Flieger), and comments by Tolkien's son Christopher in the many books he's published of his father's work posthumously.
      >
      > I'm more of a Tolkien person than a Lewis one, so there are others here who can comment on him. Of course, the only reason I'm sending this note instead of any of the other members here who could give the same info, is that I seem to have gotten to the computer first this morning! Others will add more, I'm sure. It's a fantastic journey that never ends.
      >
      > --Trudy Shaw

      Dr. Theodore James Sherman, Editor
      Mythlore: A Journal of J. R. R. Tolkien, C. S. Lewis, Charles Williams, and Mythopoeic Literature
      Associate Professor of English
      Murfreesboro, TN 37132
      615 898-5836 Office
      615 898-5098 FAX
      tsherman@...
    • daeron@bellsouth.net
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 3, 2001
        Thank you, Trudy and Dr. Sherman! I've read The Hobbit, LotR, the
        Silmarrilion, and The Lost Tales many times but somehow have never
        gotten ahold of The Tolkien Reader. I was oblivious to George
        MacDonald until I subscribed to this list. Looks like I've got some
        reading to do. Don't tales ever have an end? :-)
      • Wayne G. Hammond
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 3, 2001
          Trudy wrote:

          >Start with Tolkien's essay "On Fairy-Stories" in The Tolkien Reader, which
          I'm sure is still available in paperback (I hope so, since I'm about ready
          for a new one). Then, in the same book, move to "Leaf by Niggle" for a
          delightful use of the ideas. "On Fairy-Stories," in fact, includes the
          poem which Tolkien says he "...wrote to a man who described myth and
          fairy-story as... 'Breathing a lie through Silver.'" The man he wrote it
          for was C.S. Lewis, and although the poem isn't given a title in the essay,
          it usually goes by "Mythopoesis."

          The title of the poem is "Mythopoeia". Only a few lines are quoted in "On
          Fairy-Stories". For the complete poem, don't go to _The Tolkien Reader_,
          but instead, find one of the editions of _Tree and Leaf_ beginning in 1988
          that say "including the poem Mythopoeia": in these the complete poem has
          been added to the volume.

          Wayne Hammond