Re: [mythsoc] Re: article on HP and mythopoesis

  • Trudy Shaw
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 3, 2001
      Welcome, David --

      Start with Tolkien's essay "On Fairy-Stories" in The Tolkien Reader, which I'm sure is still available in paperback (I hope so, since I'm about ready for a new one). Then, in the same book, move to "Leaf by Niggle" for a delightful use of the ideas. "On Fairy-Stories," in fact, includes the poem which Tolkien says he "...wrote to a man who described myth and fairy-story as... 'Breathing a lie through Silver.'" The man he wrote it for was C.S. Lewis, and although the poem isn't given a title in the essay, it usually goes by "Mythopoesis."

      That's just the beginning. The door opens wide from there, with Tolkien's own letters, other people's books on Tolkien's writing (I'd especially suggest those by Verlyn Flieger), and comments by Tolkien's son Christopher in the many books he's published of his father's work posthumously.

      I'm more of a Tolkien person than a Lewis one, so there are others here who can comment on him. Of course, the only reason I'm sending this note instead of any of the other members here who could give the same info, is that I seem to have gotten to the computer first this morning! Others will add more, I'm sure. It's a fantastic journey that never ends.

      --Trudy Shaw

      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 3, 2001
        Also, read Lewis's Preface in the Eerdmans editions of George MacDonald's _Lilith_ and _Phantastes_, in which he discusses mythopoesis and asserts that MacDonald is the supreme mythopoeic artist.

        Ted Sherman

        Trudy Shaw wrote:

        > Welcome, David --
        >
        > Start with Tolkien's essay "On Fairy-Stories" in The Tolkien Reader, which I'm sure is still available in paperback (I hope so, since I'm about ready for a new one). Then, in the same book, move to "Leaf by Niggle" for a delightful use of the ideas. "On Fairy-Stories," in fact, includes the poem which Tolkien says he "...wrote to a man who described myth and fairy-story as... 'Breathing a lie through Silver.'" The man he wrote it for was C.S. Lewis, and although the poem isn't given a title in the essay, it usually goes by "Mythopoesis."
        >
        > That's just the beginning. The door opens wide from there, with Tolkien's own letters, other people's books on Tolkien's writing (I'd especially suggest those by Verlyn Flieger), and comments by Tolkien's son Christopher in the many books he's published of his father's work posthumously.
        >
        > I'm more of a Tolkien person than a Lewis one, so there are others here who can comment on him. Of course, the only reason I'm sending this note instead of any of the other members here who could give the same info, is that I seem to have gotten to the computer first this morning! Others will add more, I'm sure. It's a fantastic journey that never ends.
        >
        > --Trudy Shaw

        Dr. Theodore James Sherman, Editor
        Mythlore: A Journal of J. R. R. Tolkien, C. S. Lewis, Charles Williams, and Mythopoeic Literature
        Associate Professor of English
        Murfreesboro, TN 37132
        615 898-5836 Office
        615 898-5098 FAX
        tsherman@...
      • daeron@bellsouth.net
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 3, 2001
          Thank you, Trudy and Dr. Sherman! I've read The Hobbit, LotR, the
          Silmarrilion, and The Lost Tales many times but somehow have never
          gotten ahold of The Tolkien Reader. I was oblivious to George
          MacDonald until I subscribed to this list. Looks like I've got some
          reading to do. Don't tales ever have an end? :-)
        • Wayne G. Hammond
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 3, 2001
            Trudy wrote:

            >Start with Tolkien's essay "On Fairy-Stories" in The Tolkien Reader, which
            I'm sure is still available in paperback (I hope so, since I'm about ready
            for a new one). Then, in the same book, move to "Leaf by Niggle" for a
            delightful use of the ideas. "On Fairy-Stories," in fact, includes the
            poem which Tolkien says he "...wrote to a man who described myth and
            fairy-story as... 'Breathing a lie through Silver.'" The man he wrote it
            for was C.S. Lewis, and although the poem isn't given a title in the essay,
            it usually goes by "Mythopoesis."

            The title of the poem is "Mythopoeia". Only a few lines are quoted in "On
            Fairy-Stories". For the complete poem, don't go to _The Tolkien Reader_,
            but instead, find one of the editions of _Tree and Leaf_ beginning in 1988
            that say "including the poem Mythopoeia": in these the complete poem has
            been added to the volume.

            Wayne Hammond