Re: [mythsoc] HOBBIT ACTORS CHAT

  • Juliet Blosser
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 2, 2001
      On Fri, Mar 02, 2001 at 11:54:38PM -0500, Stolzi@... wrote:
      > In a message dated 3/2/01 9:11:58 PM Central Standard Time, intyalin@...
      > writes:
      >
      > > Kevin
      > > (disgruntled,
      >
      > But don't =you= love fried carrots for breaktast?

      Indeed, I fried up some carrots and bacon this morning, and let me tell
      you, the smell was delicious!

      Julie the carrot-lover (NOT)
    • intyalin@aol.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 2, 2001
        >>"In the beginning, our characters are just boys. They're living it up--
        >>going to parties or fishing, running through a field stealing carrots
        >>from Farmer Maggot. They have no idea what's in front of them,
        >>what ordeals they're going to face."
        >>On this point, Monaghan later follows, saying, "The final movie
        >>is going to break people's hearts.

        My heart was broken when I reached the part about the hobbits
        stealing CARROTS from Farmer Maggot, but that's me. I'm sure
        the movie will be very entertaining in its own way. I look forward
        to Jackson's adaptation of A Shortcut To Carrots & am practically
        salivating over the scene where Frodo laughs at the rising scent
        of carrots from the covered picnic basket put up by Mrs. Maggot.
        As we all know, hobbits have a passion for carrots, "surpassing
        even the greediest likings of Big People. A fact which explains
        Frodo's long expeditions, &c."

        Kevin
        (disgruntled, not trying to draw fire from the other camp).
      • Stolzi@aol.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 2, 2001
          writes:

          > Kevin
          > (disgruntled,

          But don't =you= love fried carrots for breaktast?

          Mary S
        • ERATRIANO@aol.com
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 3, 2001
            In a message dated 03/02/2001 10:11:54 PM Eastern Standard Time,
            intyalin@... writes:

            << As we all know, hobbits have a passion for carrots, "surpassing
            even the greediest likings of Big People. >>

            WHAT?! Say it isn't so!

            Lizzie
          • Diane Joy Baker
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 3, 2001
              > In a message dated 03/02/2001 10:11:54 PM Eastern Standard Time,
              > intyalin@... writes:
              >
              > << As we all know, hobbits have a passion for carrots, "surpassing
              > even the greediest likings of Big People. >>
              >
              > WHAT?! Say it isn't so!
              >
              > Lizzie

              Of course everyone knows it's *mushrooms.* ---djb.

            • ERATRIANO@aol.com
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 3, 2001
                In a message dated 03/03/2001 10:57:34 AM Eastern Standard Time,
                dianejoy@... writes:

                << Of course everyone knows it's *mushrooms.* ---djb. >>

                right.... so... did they substitute carrrots in the movie, or is this a list
                joke? I like carrots, but they are not mushrooms....

                Lizzie
              • David J. Finnamore
                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 3, 2001
                  Juliet Blosser wrote:

                  > On Fri, Mar 02, 2001 at 11:54:38PM -0500, Stolzi@... wrote:
                  > > In a message dated 3/2/01 9:11:58 PM Central Standard Time, intyalin@...
                  > > writes:
                  > >
                  > > > Kevin
                  > > > (disgruntled,
                  > >
                  > > But don't =you= love fried carrots for breaktast?
                  >
                  > Indeed, I fried up some carrots and bacon this morning, and let me tell
                  > you, the smell was delicious!

                  Carrots and bacon with beer (and other good farmhouse stock). Hard to beet! uh, beat! Especially while listening to elves play their lutes.

                  --
                  David J. Finnamore
                  Nashville, TN, USA
                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 3, 2001
                    Not even hobbits can live on mushrooms alone--but I didn't know they like carrots enough to steal them! From the interview, it sounds like this is an added scene rather than a substitution.

                    So the burning question is whether the mushrooms show up later, or if their role in the story has been entirely handed over to the carrots. If the mushrooms have been eliminated, it must be one more ploy to bring in the U.S. audience, where, as everyone knows, carrots are a much bigger box-office draw than mushrooms--especially among the younger crowd who are more likely to say, "A movie about fungus? Ewww."! But have no fear, as news of this leaks out, someone will certainly start a "Restore Mushroom Integrity" petition.

                    --Trudy Shaw

                    dianejoy@... writes:

                    << Of course everyone knows it's *mushrooms.* ---djb. >>

                    right.... so... did they substitute carrrots in the movie, or is this a list
                    joke? I like carrots, but they are not mushrooms....

                    Lizzie

                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                    Click for Details

                  • daeron@bellsouth.net
                    Message 9 of 11 , Mar 3, 2001
                      --- In mythsoc@y..., ERATRIANO@a... wrote:
                      > In a message dated 03/03/2001 10:57:34 AM Eastern Standard Time,
                      > dianejoy@e... writes:
                      >
                      > << Of course everyone knows it's *mushrooms.* ---djb. >>
                      >
                      > right.... so... did they substitute carrrots in the movie, or is
                      this a list
                      > joke?

                      Those are not mutually exclusive options, you know. ;-)

                      > I like carrots, but they are not mushrooms....

                      Evidently, Peter Jackson would disagree. If you have the intestinal
                      fortitude, please see the article from which the carrot reference was
                      taken:

                      http://netscape.eonline.com/Features/Specials/Lordrings/Location/01030
                      1.html

                      Here's another of my favorite quotes from it:

                      "[Merry and Pippin are] the Fonzies of the town. Everyone thinks
                      they're cool--they're the Danny Zukos of the Shire."

                      You know, I'm beginning to wonder whether the third movie might end
                      with paddy wagons blocking off the army led by Aragorn and Gandalf to
                      the gates of Mordor, with constables arresting everyone and shoving a
                      hand over the camera lens.

                      David Finnamore
                    • ERATRIANO@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 11 , Mar 3, 2001
                        In a message dated 03/03/2001 12:30:23 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                        daeron@... writes:

                        << "[Merry and Pippin are] the Fonzies of the town. Everyone thinks
                        they're cool--they're the Danny Zukos of the Shire."

                        please just shoot me now. Ohhhh the mortification, when all the
                        otherwise-good folks who never read LOTR see this movie and think that's what
                        we've all been possessed by these many years.

                        Lizzie, oh the pain!!