Re: article on HP and mythopoesis

  • daeron@bellsouth.net
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 2, 2001
      --- In mythsoc@y..., Matthew S Winslow <mithlond@j...> wrote:
      > Here's an interesting article on Harry Potter that talks a bit about
      > mythopoesis. Nothing really new to this group
      [snip]
      > www.cornerstonemag.com/cm/imaginarium/features/muggle.html

      Well, it was new to me. I'm kind of a newbie here. I'm no stranger
      to the fictional works of Lewis and Tolkien but I did not know what
      the term "mythopoesis" meant nor that they had coined it. I can see
      that it's going to be something of a life changing concept for me.

      Is the definition in the above referenced article satisfactory for
      everyone? Is there a better or more complete one I should know of?
      Where can I find a more thorough discussion of the idea, preferably
      by Lewis or Tolkien?

      David Finnamore
    • Trudy Shaw
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 3, 2001
        Welcome, David --

        Start with Tolkien's essay "On Fairy-Stories" in The Tolkien Reader, which I'm sure is still available in paperback (I hope so, since I'm about ready for a new one). Then, in the same book, move to "Leaf by Niggle" for a delightful use of the ideas. "On Fairy-Stories," in fact, includes the poem which Tolkien says he "...wrote to a man who described myth and fairy-story as... 'Breathing a lie through Silver.'" The man he wrote it for was C.S. Lewis, and although the poem isn't given a title in the essay, it usually goes by "Mythopoesis."

        That's just the beginning. The door opens wide from there, with Tolkien's own letters, other people's books on Tolkien's writing (I'd especially suggest those by Verlyn Flieger), and comments by Tolkien's son Christopher in the many books he's published of his father's work posthumously.

        I'm more of a Tolkien person than a Lewis one, so there are others here who can comment on him. Of course, the only reason I'm sending this note instead of any of the other members here who could give the same info, is that I seem to have gotten to the computer first this morning! Others will add more, I'm sure. It's a fantastic journey that never ends.

        --Trudy Shaw

        > Here's an interesting article on Harry Potter that talks a bit about
        > mythopoesis. Nothing really new to this group
        [snip]
        > www.cornerstonemag.com/cm/imaginarium/features/muggle.html

        Well, it was new to me. I'm kind of a newbie here. I'm no stranger
        to the fictional works of Lewis and Tolkien but I did not know what
        the term "mythopoesis" meant nor that they had coined it. I can see
        that it's going to be something of a life changing concept for me.

        Is the definition in the above referenced article satisfactory for
        everyone? Is there a better or more complete one I should know of?
        Where can I find a more thorough discussion of the idea, preferably
        by Lewis or Tolkien?

        David Finnamore

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • Ted Sherman
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 3, 2001
          Also, read Lewis's Preface in the Eerdmans editions of George MacDonald's _Lilith_ and _Phantastes_, in which he discusses mythopoesis and asserts that MacDonald is the supreme mythopoeic artist.

          Ted Sherman

          Trudy Shaw wrote:

          > Welcome, David --
          >
          > Start with Tolkien's essay "On Fairy-Stories" in The Tolkien Reader, which I'm sure is still available in paperback (I hope so, since I'm about ready for a new one). Then, in the same book, move to "Leaf by Niggle" for a delightful use of the ideas. "On Fairy-Stories," in fact, includes the poem which Tolkien says he "...wrote to a man who described myth and fairy-story as... 'Breathing a lie through Silver.'" The man he wrote it for was C.S. Lewis, and although the poem isn't given a title in the essay, it usually goes by "Mythopoesis."
          >
          > That's just the beginning. The door opens wide from there, with Tolkien's own letters, other people's books on Tolkien's writing (I'd especially suggest those by Verlyn Flieger), and comments by Tolkien's son Christopher in the many books he's published of his father's work posthumously.
          >
          > I'm more of a Tolkien person than a Lewis one, so there are others here who can comment on him. Of course, the only reason I'm sending this note instead of any of the other members here who could give the same info, is that I seem to have gotten to the computer first this morning! Others will add more, I'm sure. It's a fantastic journey that never ends.
          >
          > --Trudy Shaw

          Dr. Theodore James Sherman, Editor
          Mythlore: A Journal of J. R. R. Tolkien, C. S. Lewis, Charles Williams, and Mythopoeic Literature
          Associate Professor of English
          Murfreesboro, TN 37132
          615 898-5836 Office
          615 898-5098 FAX
          tsherman@...
        • daeron@bellsouth.net
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 3, 2001
            Thank you, Trudy and Dr. Sherman! I've read The Hobbit, LotR, the
            Silmarrilion, and The Lost Tales many times but somehow have never
            gotten ahold of The Tolkien Reader. I was oblivious to George
            MacDonald until I subscribed to this list. Looks like I've got some
            reading to do. Don't tales ever have an end? :-)
          • Wayne G. Hammond
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 3, 2001
              Trudy wrote:

              >Start with Tolkien's essay "On Fairy-Stories" in The Tolkien Reader, which
              I'm sure is still available in paperback (I hope so, since I'm about ready
              for a new one). Then, in the same book, move to "Leaf by Niggle" for a
              delightful use of the ideas. "On Fairy-Stories," in fact, includes the
              poem which Tolkien says he "...wrote to a man who described myth and
              fairy-story as... 'Breathing a lie through Silver.'" The man he wrote it
              for was C.S. Lewis, and although the poem isn't given a title in the essay,
              it usually goes by "Mythopoesis."

              The title of the poem is "Mythopoeia". Only a few lines are quoted in "On
              Fairy-Stories". For the complete poem, don't go to _The Tolkien Reader_,
              but instead, find one of the editions of _Tree and Leaf_ beginning in 1988
              that say "including the poem Mythopoeia": in these the complete poem has
              been added to the volume.

              Wayne Hammond