HOBBIT ACTORS CHAT

  • Joan Marie Verba
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 2 6:24 AM
      HOBBIT ACTORS CHAT

      Actors Dominic Monaghan and Billy Boyd have been talking about working
      on
      the Lord of the Rings project. Both actors were interviewed as part of
      E!
      Online's monthly coverage of the films.

      Regarding what was most challenging about the project, Monaghan answers,
      "Neither of us had worked on anything this big. It was a unique
      experience
      to have possession of a character for so long."

      "It's an actor's dream. Not only in terms of being able to show the
      characters maturing over a year but playing such a huge range of scenes,
      from largely comic to very emotional," says Boyd. "In the beginning, our
      characters are just boys. They're living it up--going to parties or
      fishing,
      running through a field stealing carrots from Farmer Maggot. They have
      no
      idea what's in front of them, what ordeals they're going to face."

      On this point, Monaghan later follows, saying, "The final movie is going
      break people's hearts. All the Fellowship are crushed, chewed up and
      ultimately spat out the other side. They're scarred forever by their
      journey."

      Regarding having to act in sequences that were out of order for three
      films
      at one time, Boyd says, "That's always tricky, but in a way that helped
      us
      realize the parts better. We started off with a lot of battle scenes,
      like
      Amon Hen and battling Uruks and Orcs, and jumping onto Orc's backs and
      stabbing them, and then we came to Hobbiton. Doing the battle scenes
      really
      informed our view of Hobbiton--what the characters are going to go
      through,
      which is more than they know themselves. So, it really made us enjoy the
      Hobbiton scenes even more and think it's such an ideal place, almost a
      Utopia."

      As for the last day of shooting, Monaghan reveals his perspective,
      saying,
      "Finishing was insane. It felt for a long time like we never would. We
      had a
      lot of 'fake' finishes. Pete and Fran gave us champagne the last time
      all
      four Hobbits were together. Then came the final day. I was in the band
      at
      the wrap party, and the next day I was flying away for Christmas. Wild,
      wild, wild."

      Boyd adds, "I was never that good at reading schedules and didn't
      realize it
      was my last day until Peter announced it to the crew. It was only then
      that
      I realized the adventure was coming to an end."
    • Juliet Blosser
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 2 9:38 AM
        On Fri, Mar 02, 2001 at 11:54:38PM -0500, Stolzi@... wrote:
        > In a message dated 3/2/01 9:11:58 PM Central Standard Time, intyalin@...
        > writes:
        >
        > > Kevin
        > > (disgruntled,
        >
        > But don't =you= love fried carrots for breaktast?

        Indeed, I fried up some carrots and bacon this morning, and let me tell
        you, the smell was delicious!

        Julie the carrot-lover (NOT)
      • intyalin@aol.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 2 7:11 PM
          >>"In the beginning, our characters are just boys. They're living it up--
          >>going to parties or fishing, running through a field stealing carrots
          >>from Farmer Maggot. They have no idea what's in front of them,
          >>what ordeals they're going to face."
          >>On this point, Monaghan later follows, saying, "The final movie
          >>is going to break people's hearts.

          My heart was broken when I reached the part about the hobbits
          stealing CARROTS from Farmer Maggot, but that's me. I'm sure
          the movie will be very entertaining in its own way. I look forward
          to Jackson's adaptation of A Shortcut To Carrots & am practically
          salivating over the scene where Frodo laughs at the rising scent
          of carrots from the covered picnic basket put up by Mrs. Maggot.
          As we all know, hobbits have a passion for carrots, "surpassing
          even the greediest likings of Big People. A fact which explains
          Frodo's long expeditions, &c."

          Kevin
          (disgruntled, not trying to draw fire from the other camp).
        • Stolzi@aol.com
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 2 8:54 PM
            writes:

            > Kevin
            > (disgruntled,

            But don't =you= love fried carrots for breaktast?

            Mary S
          • ERATRIANO@aol.com
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 3 4:34 AM
              In a message dated 03/02/2001 10:11:54 PM Eastern Standard Time,
              intyalin@... writes:

              << As we all know, hobbits have a passion for carrots, "surpassing
              even the greediest likings of Big People. >>

              WHAT?! Say it isn't so!

              Lizzie
            • Diane Joy Baker
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 3 7:53 AM
                > In a message dated 03/02/2001 10:11:54 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                > intyalin@... writes:
                >
                > << As we all know, hobbits have a passion for carrots, "surpassing
                > even the greediest likings of Big People. >>
                >
                > WHAT?! Say it isn't so!
                >
                > Lizzie

                Of course everyone knows it's *mushrooms.* ---djb.

              • ERATRIANO@aol.com
                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 3 8:04 AM
                  In a message dated 03/03/2001 10:57:34 AM Eastern Standard Time,
                  dianejoy@... writes:

                  << Of course everyone knows it's *mushrooms.* ---djb. >>

                  right.... so... did they substitute carrrots in the movie, or is this a list
                  joke? I like carrots, but they are not mushrooms....

                  Lizzie
                • David J. Finnamore
                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 3 8:26 AM
                    Juliet Blosser wrote:

                    > On Fri, Mar 02, 2001 at 11:54:38PM -0500, Stolzi@... wrote:
                    > > In a message dated 3/2/01 9:11:58 PM Central Standard Time, intyalin@...
                    > > writes:
                    > >
                    > > > Kevin
                    > > > (disgruntled,
                    > >
                    > > But don't =you= love fried carrots for breaktast?
                    >
                    > Indeed, I fried up some carrots and bacon this morning, and let me tell
                    > you, the smell was delicious!

                    Carrots and bacon with beer (and other good farmhouse stock). Hard to beet! uh, beat! Especially while listening to elves play their lutes.

                    --
                    David J. Finnamore
                    Nashville, TN, USA
                    Message 9 of 11 , Mar 3 8:38 AM
                      Not even hobbits can live on mushrooms alone--but I didn't know they like carrots enough to steal them! From the interview, it sounds like this is an added scene rather than a substitution.

                      So the burning question is whether the mushrooms show up later, or if their role in the story has been entirely handed over to the carrots. If the mushrooms have been eliminated, it must be one more ploy to bring in the U.S. audience, where, as everyone knows, carrots are a much bigger box-office draw than mushrooms--especially among the younger crowd who are more likely to say, "A movie about fungus? Ewww."! But have no fear, as news of this leaks out, someone will certainly start a "Restore Mushroom Integrity" petition.

                      --Trudy Shaw

                      dianejoy@... writes:

                      << Of course everyone knows it's *mushrooms.* ---djb. >>

                      right.... so... did they substitute carrrots in the movie, or is this a list
                      joke? I like carrots, but they are not mushrooms....

                      Lizzie

                      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                      Click for Details

                    • daeron@bellsouth.net
                      Message 10 of 11 , Mar 3 9:20 AM
                        --- In mythsoc@y..., ERATRIANO@a... wrote:
                        > In a message dated 03/03/2001 10:57:34 AM Eastern Standard Time,
                        > dianejoy@e... writes:
                        >
                        > << Of course everyone knows it's *mushrooms.* ---djb. >>
                        >
                        > right.... so... did they substitute carrrots in the movie, or is
                        this a list
                        > joke?

                        Those are not mutually exclusive options, you know. ;-)

                        > I like carrots, but they are not mushrooms....

                        Evidently, Peter Jackson would disagree. If you have the intestinal
                        fortitude, please see the article from which the carrot reference was
                        taken:

                        http://netscape.eonline.com/Features/Specials/Lordrings/Location/01030
                        1.html

                        Here's another of my favorite quotes from it:

                        "[Merry and Pippin are] the Fonzies of the town. Everyone thinks
                        they're cool--they're the Danny Zukos of the Shire."

                        You know, I'm beginning to wonder whether the third movie might end
                        with paddy wagons blocking off the army led by Aragorn and Gandalf to
                        the gates of Mordor, with constables arresting everyone and shoving a
                        hand over the camera lens.

                        David Finnamore
                      • ERATRIANO@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 11 , Mar 3 10:06 AM
                          In a message dated 03/03/2001 12:30:23 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                          daeron@... writes:

                          << "[Merry and Pippin are] the Fonzies of the town. Everyone thinks
                          they're cool--they're the Danny Zukos of the Shire."

                          please just shoot me now. Ohhhh the mortification, when all the
                          otherwise-good folks who never read LOTR see this movie and think that's what
                          we've all been possessed by these many years.

                          Lizzie, oh the pain!!