Re: [mythsoc] article on HP and mythopoesis

  • David S. Bratman
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 22 1:47 PM
      WendellWag@... writes:

      > I think that whenever J. K. Rowling does a book
      > signing, she should ask the children as they come up to her, "Which
      character
      > in the books do you think your life most resembles?" Anyone who says
      > "Harry Potter" she should slap silly. Yes, there are children who live
      > unhappy lives these days, but any child who gets to go see an author speak
      > and have them autograph their copy of the book is extremely unlikely to be
      > one of those children.

      Methinks this protesteth too much. "Grotesque child abuse at home" is not
      the sole component of Harry Potter's life. The keynote in his life is
      being secretly special but generally unappreciated, and I suspect most
      children feel that way. That is probably part of what makes him popular in
      the first place.

      David Bratman
    • daeron@bellsouth.net
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 2, 2001
        --- In mythsoc@y..., Matthew S Winslow <mithlond@j...> wrote:
        > Here's an interesting article on Harry Potter that talks a bit about
        > mythopoesis. Nothing really new to this group
        [snip]
        > www.cornerstonemag.com/cm/imaginarium/features/muggle.html

        Well, it was new to me. I'm kind of a newbie here. I'm no stranger
        to the fictional works of Lewis and Tolkien but I did not know what
        the term "mythopoesis" meant nor that they had coined it. I can see
        that it's going to be something of a life changing concept for me.

        Is the definition in the above referenced article satisfactory for
        everyone? Is there a better or more complete one I should know of?
        Where can I find a more thorough discussion of the idea, preferably
        by Lewis or Tolkien?

        David Finnamore
      • Trudy Shaw
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 3, 2001
          Welcome, David --

          Start with Tolkien's essay "On Fairy-Stories" in The Tolkien Reader, which I'm sure is still available in paperback (I hope so, since I'm about ready for a new one). Then, in the same book, move to "Leaf by Niggle" for a delightful use of the ideas. "On Fairy-Stories," in fact, includes the poem which Tolkien says he "...wrote to a man who described myth and fairy-story as... 'Breathing a lie through Silver.'" The man he wrote it for was C.S. Lewis, and although the poem isn't given a title in the essay, it usually goes by "Mythopoesis."

          That's just the beginning. The door opens wide from there, with Tolkien's own letters, other people's books on Tolkien's writing (I'd especially suggest those by Verlyn Flieger), and comments by Tolkien's son Christopher in the many books he's published of his father's work posthumously.

          I'm more of a Tolkien person than a Lewis one, so there are others here who can comment on him. Of course, the only reason I'm sending this note instead of any of the other members here who could give the same info, is that I seem to have gotten to the computer first this morning! Others will add more, I'm sure. It's a fantastic journey that never ends.

          --Trudy Shaw

          > Here's an interesting article on Harry Potter that talks a bit about
          > mythopoesis. Nothing really new to this group
          [snip]
          > www.cornerstonemag.com/cm/imaginarium/features/muggle.html

          Well, it was new to me. I'm kind of a newbie here. I'm no stranger
          to the fictional works of Lewis and Tolkien but I did not know what
          the term "mythopoesis" meant nor that they had coined it. I can see
          that it's going to be something of a life changing concept for me.

          Is the definition in the above referenced article satisfactory for
          everyone? Is there a better or more complete one I should know of?
          Where can I find a more thorough discussion of the idea, preferably
          by Lewis or Tolkien?

          David Finnamore

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • Ted Sherman
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 3, 2001
            Also, read Lewis's Preface in the Eerdmans editions of George MacDonald's _Lilith_ and _Phantastes_, in which he discusses mythopoesis and asserts that MacDonald is the supreme mythopoeic artist.

            Ted Sherman

            Trudy Shaw wrote:

            > Welcome, David --
            >
            > Start with Tolkien's essay "On Fairy-Stories" in The Tolkien Reader, which I'm sure is still available in paperback (I hope so, since I'm about ready for a new one). Then, in the same book, move to "Leaf by Niggle" for a delightful use of the ideas. "On Fairy-Stories," in fact, includes the poem which Tolkien says he "...wrote to a man who described myth and fairy-story as... 'Breathing a lie through Silver.'" The man he wrote it for was C.S. Lewis, and although the poem isn't given a title in the essay, it usually goes by "Mythopoesis."
            >
            > That's just the beginning. The door opens wide from there, with Tolkien's own letters, other people's books on Tolkien's writing (I'd especially suggest those by Verlyn Flieger), and comments by Tolkien's son Christopher in the many books he's published of his father's work posthumously.
            >
            > I'm more of a Tolkien person than a Lewis one, so there are others here who can comment on him. Of course, the only reason I'm sending this note instead of any of the other members here who could give the same info, is that I seem to have gotten to the computer first this morning! Others will add more, I'm sure. It's a fantastic journey that never ends.
            >
            > --Trudy Shaw

            Dr. Theodore James Sherman, Editor
            Mythlore: A Journal of J. R. R. Tolkien, C. S. Lewis, Charles Williams, and Mythopoeic Literature
            Associate Professor of English
            Murfreesboro, TN 37132
            615 898-5836 Office
            615 898-5098 FAX
            tsherman@...
          • daeron@bellsouth.net
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 3, 2001
              Thank you, Trudy and Dr. Sherman! I've read The Hobbit, LotR, the
              Silmarrilion, and The Lost Tales many times but somehow have never
              gotten ahold of The Tolkien Reader. I was oblivious to George
              MacDonald until I subscribed to this list. Looks like I've got some
              reading to do. Don't tales ever have an end? :-)
            • Wayne G. Hammond
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 3, 2001
                Trudy wrote:

                >Start with Tolkien's essay "On Fairy-Stories" in The Tolkien Reader, which
                I'm sure is still available in paperback (I hope so, since I'm about ready
                for a new one). Then, in the same book, move to "Leaf by Niggle" for a
                delightful use of the ideas. "On Fairy-Stories," in fact, includes the
                poem which Tolkien says he "...wrote to a man who described myth and
                fairy-story as... 'Breathing a lie through Silver.'" The man he wrote it
                for was C.S. Lewis, and although the poem isn't given a title in the essay,
                it usually goes by "Mythopoesis."

                The title of the poem is "Mythopoeia". Only a few lines are quoted in "On
                Fairy-Stories". For the complete poem, don't go to _The Tolkien Reader_,
                but instead, find one of the editions of _Tree and Leaf_ beginning in 1988
                that say "including the poem Mythopoeia": in these the complete poem has
                been added to the volume.

                Wayne Hammond