Re: [mythsoc] Ballot vote

  • Trudy Shaw
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 17, 2001
      From: David S. Bratman
      To: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Friday, February 16, 2001 12:42 PM
      Subject: Re: [mythsoc] Ballot vote

      During my tenure as editor of Mythprint, I occasionally suggested that part
      of the Recording Secretary's duties should be to prepare brief write-ups of
      Council and Members Meetings for Mythprint. Nothing ever came of this. I
      would like to repeat this suggestion now. Most Societies -- The Tolkien
      Society, for instance -- report their formal doings in their bulletins. We
      should too.

      David Bratman

      I can't really comment on the ballot item, as I don't know anything about it except what came with the ballot and what's been posted here (maybe that's a symptom of what I'm going to say). But I would like to voice my support for this one paragraph of David Bratman's post (above).

      Except for a lapse when I moved one time too many and we lost track of each other, I've been a Society member and a Mythlore subscriber for over 15 years. But as a chronically "funds-challenged" person (last time I bought a plane ticket was 16 years ago when I flew to California for my brother's wedding), I've never made it to a Mythcon. I registered for the one in Colorado, as that was one day's driving distance, but then changed jobs shortly beforehand so, of course, had no vacation time to take off in order to attend (the organizers very graciously refunded my deposit).

      Anyway, I'm sure there are other members who, for various reasons, can't get to Mythcons regularly. For a nationwide--even worldwide--organization, I think it would be essential to publish at least an abbreviated form of the minutes of any members' meetings. If this were done in Mythprint, which has a much shorter lead time than Mythlore, I'd certainly start subscribing to that publication again. I subscribed to it for awhile, but didn't find that much of interest to me, so have subscribed to only Mythlore since then.

      Getting hooked up to this on-line group has made me feel a little more "connected" out here on the plains, but knowing more about what's happening at the members' meetings would be a great help.

      -- Trudy Shaw

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      www. .com