Re: Casting for LotR

  • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
    Message 1 of 35 , Jun 28, 1999
      Yes, we do. I just haven't had time to respond. I do remember that at
      one point they were trying to get Leonard Nimoy to have plastic surgery
      on his ears. It would save him so many hours in the make up chair <g>.
      Leonard actually loves LoTR and would probably get a big kick out of
      being in it. And he's actually a fine actor when he has a decent script!

      As for ears on elfs, etc. I've seen them both ways, even for LoTR elfs.
      Pointed or human ears will not make or break the movie for me. I'm more
      interested in how the condense the material and change the story to make
      it work in the "modern", must fit the demographics, movie world.

      By the way, I'm not one of those kinds who demands that the
      drawings/paintings/movies look exactly as I saw it in the book. If it is
      valid to the original words, then I'm fine with it. And yes, I am very
      visual, and do have mental pictures for a lot of things in LoTR. But
      they sometimes don't even match what Tolkien painted. That's Art!

      Frankly, I'm just waiting to see how this For-Real casting game
      develops.

      Mythically yours,

      Lisa

      FrMacKen@... wrote:

      > From: FrMacKen@...
      >
      > In a message dated 6/28/1999 4:45:59 PM EST, kare@... writes:
      >
      > << What about the scene where she brings Aragorn his banner just before the
      > big push? Hasn't she been riding, and hard, then. Not fighting of
      > course, but doesn't she help her brothers in their pursuit of orcs to avenge
      > her mother? >>
      > You are absolutely right. However, that does not warrant Arwen to be major
      > character as planned in the movie.
      >
      > An addendum: I think that my Star Trek jibe in a previous letter about the
      > "Ears" controversy went unnoticed. We must not have any Trekkies in this
      > group!
      > Oh well :)
      > Ron (the lone defender of the United Federation of Planets)

      > We must be crazy! We're practically giving our books away! Doubleday
      > Book Club´┐Ż offers the best sellers and more! Get 5 books for just $.99
      > + 1 free with membership! Go to http://www.onelist.com/ad/doubleday8

    • Jim Bohannon
      Message 35 of 35 , Jul 1, 1999
        Hear, hear Mary! That's a fine term. Who made the rules that say
        you're not a Star Trek fan if you don't dress like a Klingon and go to
        all the conventions? Or that you're not a true Star Wars fan if you
        didn't camp out to get tickets to "Phantom Menace", or at least get to
        see it during the first week? (I did neither - but I am a Star Wars
        fan!)

        Another "moderate Trekkie & Star Wars fan",

        Jim