Mythopoeic Society Bylaws Amendment

  • David S. Bratman
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 14, 2001
      Those of you who are members of the Society will have received your
      directory form and ballot for the Bylaws Amendment in the mail late last
      month. (The amendment would raise the size of the Council of Stewards, the
      Society's governing body, from a range of 8-11 to a range of 10-13.
      California state law dictates the width of the range of a corporate board,
      and prohibits the board from changing that range without approval of the
      society's members.)

      Probably most of you have sent in the ballot already - it's due the end of
      February - but I wish to make these comments anyway.

      This former Steward (19 years of service on Council, 1980-99) is not
      convinced by the arguments in favor given on the ballot, and would have put
      questions and objections had I been able to attend the Business Meeting at
      Mythcon, or even had I known the issue would be raised then.

      1) It is hard enough to find volunteers to fill ten slots as it is. To
      make this a minimum only increases the problem.

      2) True, we need more volunteers to work for the Society. That doesn't
      mean we'll get them. The argument in favor notes the urgent need for a
      Society Publicist. I agree. But we've needed one, and been looking for
      one, for 15 years!

      3) Rather than increasing the number of workers with Stewardships, I would
      have thought there were one or two Stewards who would be just as happy to
      do their jobs while being relieved of the duty of attending Council.
      Folding their responsibilities in under other departments would not
      necessarily deprive their work of representation on Council. Indeed, in
      recent years we've been moving towards a true departmental system, where
      multiple people work together on related tasks, one of whom speaks for the
      whole at Council. Nor is Council so isolated a body that this is unfair to
      the people who aren't there.

      I am casting my vote "No" on this amendment.

      David Bratman