Re: [mythsoc] Spenser

  • jen stevens
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 13, 2001
      At 03:10 PM 2/6/2001 -0500, wyspergrove@... wrote:
      >I am doing a paper on Spenser's influence on modern fantasy (more
      specifically-Spenser's influence on C.S. Lewis). Can any of you lovely
      people give me a few resources I may consult?

      >-Kat

      Kat,

      I'm sorry that this is so late, and I hope that this list will still be
      useful to you (it may be more than you want :). I meant to do it much
      earlier, but I was sick much of last week, and it (and many other things)
      got neglected. I'm posting these to the list in case anyone else might be
      interested...

      I found these articles and books while doing the literature search for my
      own spenser/lewis research (which has since mutated into some rather
      different angles...I greatly hope that it will now resolve itself!). Many
      of these didn't show up in my initial Modern Language Association online
      bibliography, which was very frustrating (I found them by literally going
      through the stacks). I am sure that this is only a very partial list of
      works on Lewis/Spenser. The degree to which Lewis' use of/relation to is
      addressed varies greatly.

      Also, in addition to "Spenser's Images of Life," you may want to look at
      Lewis' "English Literature in the Sixteenth Century, Excluding Drama."
      There is also an essay called "Spenser's Cruel Cupid" by Lewis about a
      scene in FQ; it gets referred to a lot in the Lewis literature (I think
      that it has been published in various essay collections; unfortunately, the
      essay collection I have is currently sitting in my office at the library...).

      Lewis and Spenserian Influence/Criticism

      Cox, John D. "Epistemological Release in The Silver Chair." A Longing for a
      Form. ed. Peter J. Schakel. Kent State University Press, 1977. 159-168.
      (incidentally, this essay is amazing!)

      The C.S. Lewis Readers' Encyclopedia. ed. Jeffrey D. Schultz and John G.
      West Jr. Grand Rapids, Michigan: Zondervan Publishing House, 1998.
      (Doesn't really discuss Lewis/Spenser very much, but does include a brief
      bibliography)

      Downing, David C. Planets in Peril. A Critical Study of C.S. Lewis's Ransom
      Trilogy. Amherst, Massachusetts: The University of Massachusetts Press, 1992.
      (includes a few general bits about Lewis/Spenser in relation to the Ransom
      Trilogy)

      Eastman, Jackie F. "C.S. Lewis's Indebtedness to Edmund Spenser: The
      Labyrinth Episode as Threshold Symbol in The Lion, the Witch, and the
      Wardrobe." Proceedings of the thirteenth annual conference of the
      Children's Literature Association. ed. Susan R. Gannon, Ruth Anne Thompson.
      University of Missouri, Kansas City, May 16-18, 1986.

      Haigh, John D. "C.S. Lewis and the Tradition of Visionary Romance." Word
      and Story in C.S. Lewis. ed. Peter J. Schakel and Charles A. Huttar.
      Columbia, MI. University of Missouri Press, 1991. 182-198.

      Hannay, Margaret Patterson. C.S. Lewis. New York: Frederick Ungar
      Publishing Co., 1981.
      (Discusses Lewis' literary criticism, including his work with Spenser).

      Hannay, Margaret P. "A Preface to Perelandra." The Longing for a Form. ed.
      Peter J. Schakel. Kent State University Press, 1977.

      Hannay, Margaret P. "Provocative Generalizations: The Allegory of Love in
      Retrospect." The Taste of the Pineapple. Essays on C.S. Lewis as Reader,
      Critic, and Imaginative Writer. ed. Bruce l. Edwards. Bowling Green, Ohio:
      Bowling Green State University Popular Press, 1988. 58-78.

      Myers, Doris T. C.S. Lewis in Context. Kent, Ohio: The Kent State
      University Press, 1994.
      (Myers argues that Lewis used a Spensarian form and structure throughout
      the Narnia books. She also has sections on his other fiction, but I haven't
      read them as closely.)

      They Stand Together. The Letters of C.S. Lewis to Arthur Greeves
      (1914-1963). ed. Walter Hooper. New York: Macmillan Publishing Company, 1979.
      (nothing on Lewis' reading of Spenser persay, but includes some charming
      bits about his first reading of Spenser, including his deliberations as to
      which edition of Spenser to purchase)

      - Jen
    • wyspergrove@netscape.net
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 16, 2001
        Thank you Jen Stevens, those sources did help me. (My paper is not due until May.)

        --Kat--