Re: [mythsoc] Re: Spenser

  • Diane Joy Baker
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 10, 2001
      From: <wyspergrove@...>
      To: <mythsoc@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Saturday, February 10, 2001 5:16 AM
      Subject: [mythsoc] Re: Spenser

      My mother banned Lewis from our household; therefore, I did not get to read
      any of his works until last October(first College semester). I started with
      _Mere Christianity_, and I have read over 20 works since. I am currently
      reading _Spenser's Images of Life_- Lewis' lectures on "The Faerie Queen."

      Your mother banned CSL from the house? For Heaven's sake, why?

      > This semester my Renaissance literature cource introduced me to Spenser.
      In an age where Erasmus sited 144 different ways of saying, "Thank you for
      your letter." (_De copia_), Spenser epitomizes copiousness. _The Faerie
      Queen_ contains approximately 3,864 stanzas; 34,776 lines; and 142,968
      feet(that is 27.077 miles of poetry) all in strict meter and rhyme-Wow. It
      makes me want to write a similar epic in modern English.

      Spenser is hard to top, and I know you're not thinking of that, but good
      luck to you. (Let us read it when it's done.) ---djb.

    • jen stevens
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 13, 2001
        At 03:10 PM 2/6/2001 -0500, wyspergrove@... wrote:
        >I am doing a paper on Spenser's influence on modern fantasy (more
        specifically-Spenser's influence on C.S. Lewis). Can any of you lovely
        people give me a few resources I may consult?

        >-Kat

        Kat,

        I'm sorry that this is so late, and I hope that this list will still be
        useful to you (it may be more than you want :). I meant to do it much
        earlier, but I was sick much of last week, and it (and many other things)
        got neglected. I'm posting these to the list in case anyone else might be
        interested...

        I found these articles and books while doing the literature search for my
        own spenser/lewis research (which has since mutated into some rather
        different angles...I greatly hope that it will now resolve itself!). Many
        of these didn't show up in my initial Modern Language Association online
        bibliography, which was very frustrating (I found them by literally going
        through the stacks). I am sure that this is only a very partial list of
        works on Lewis/Spenser. The degree to which Lewis' use of/relation to is
        addressed varies greatly.

        Also, in addition to "Spenser's Images of Life," you may want to look at
        Lewis' "English Literature in the Sixteenth Century, Excluding Drama."
        There is also an essay called "Spenser's Cruel Cupid" by Lewis about a
        scene in FQ; it gets referred to a lot in the Lewis literature (I think
        that it has been published in various essay collections; unfortunately, the
        essay collection I have is currently sitting in my office at the library...).

        Lewis and Spenserian Influence/Criticism

        Cox, John D. "Epistemological Release in The Silver Chair." A Longing for a
        Form. ed. Peter J. Schakel. Kent State University Press, 1977. 159-168.
        (incidentally, this essay is amazing!)

        The C.S. Lewis Readers' Encyclopedia. ed. Jeffrey D. Schultz and John G.
        West Jr. Grand Rapids, Michigan: Zondervan Publishing House, 1998.
        (Doesn't really discuss Lewis/Spenser very much, but does include a brief
        bibliography)

        Downing, David C. Planets in Peril. A Critical Study of C.S. Lewis's Ransom
        Trilogy. Amherst, Massachusetts: The University of Massachusetts Press, 1992.
        (includes a few general bits about Lewis/Spenser in relation to the Ransom
        Trilogy)

        Eastman, Jackie F. "C.S. Lewis's Indebtedness to Edmund Spenser: The
        Labyrinth Episode as Threshold Symbol in The Lion, the Witch, and the
        Wardrobe." Proceedings of the thirteenth annual conference of the
        Children's Literature Association. ed. Susan R. Gannon, Ruth Anne Thompson.
        University of Missouri, Kansas City, May 16-18, 1986.

        Haigh, John D. "C.S. Lewis and the Tradition of Visionary Romance." Word
        and Story in C.S. Lewis. ed. Peter J. Schakel and Charles A. Huttar.
        Columbia, MI. University of Missouri Press, 1991. 182-198.

        Hannay, Margaret Patterson. C.S. Lewis. New York: Frederick Ungar
        Publishing Co., 1981.
        (Discusses Lewis' literary criticism, including his work with Spenser).

        Hannay, Margaret P. "A Preface to Perelandra." The Longing for a Form. ed.
        Peter J. Schakel. Kent State University Press, 1977.

        Hannay, Margaret P. "Provocative Generalizations: The Allegory of Love in
        Retrospect." The Taste of the Pineapple. Essays on C.S. Lewis as Reader,
        Critic, and Imaginative Writer. ed. Bruce l. Edwards. Bowling Green, Ohio:
        Bowling Green State University Popular Press, 1988. 58-78.

        Myers, Doris T. C.S. Lewis in Context. Kent, Ohio: The Kent State
        University Press, 1994.
        (Myers argues that Lewis used a Spensarian form and structure throughout
        the Narnia books. She also has sections on his other fiction, but I haven't
        read them as closely.)

        They Stand Together. The Letters of C.S. Lewis to Arthur Greeves
        (1914-1963). ed. Walter Hooper. New York: Macmillan Publishing Company, 1979.
        (nothing on Lewis' reading of Spenser persay, but includes some charming
        bits about his first reading of Spenser, including his deliberations as to
        which edition of Spenser to purchase)

        - Jen
      • wyspergrove@netscape.net
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 16, 2001
          Thank you Jen Stevens, those sources did help me. (My paper is not due until May.)

          --Kat--