Re: Spenser

  • wyspergrove@netscape.net
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 10, 2001
      >> According to Lowenberg's secondary bibliography, it is
      Joe R. Christopher
      "Touring 'The Dark Tower'"
      _CSL: The Bulletin of the New York C. S. Lewis Society_ 9 (April 1978): 9-13.
      (Her annotation doesn't mention Spenser, I see.  Oh well...  But I _did_
      note a Spenserian reference or so.)  Lowenberg does list 11 works on Lewis
      which she does annotate as mentioning Spenser, so there are further items
      for Kat--although I suppose she has already noted those.
      --Joe>>

      Yes, thank you.

      The more I research and read Spenser and Lewis, the more in awe I become. I feel so behind! My mother banned Lewis from our household; therefore, I did not get to read any of his works until last October(first College semester). I started with _Mere Christianity_, and I have read over 20 works since. I am currently reading _Spenser's Images of Life_- Lewis' lectures on "The Faerie Queen."
      This semester my Renaissance literature cource introduced me to Spenser. In an age where Erasmus sited 144 different ways of saying, "Thank you for your letter." (_De copia_), Spenser epitomizes copiousness. _The Faerie Queen_ contains approximately 3,864 stanzas; 34,776 lines; and 142,968 feet(that is 27.077 miles of poetry) all in strict meter and rhyme-Wow. It makes me want to write a similar epic in modern English.

      Thank you all for your resources and help.

      --Kat--
    • Diane Joy Baker
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 10, 2001
        My mother banned Lewis from our household; therefore, I did not get to read
        any of his works until last October(first College semester). I started with
        _Mere Christianity_, and I have read over 20 works since. I am currently
        reading _Spenser's Images of Life_- Lewis' lectures on "The Faerie Queen."

        Your mother banned CSL from the house? For Heaven's sake, why?

        > This semester my Renaissance literature cource introduced me to Spenser.
        In an age where Erasmus sited 144 different ways of saying, "Thank you for
        your letter." (_De copia_), Spenser epitomizes copiousness. _The Faerie
        Queen_ contains approximately 3,864 stanzas; 34,776 lines; and 142,968
        feet(that is 27.077 miles of poetry) all in strict meter and rhyme-Wow. It
        makes me want to write a similar epic in modern English.

        Spenser is hard to top, and I know you're not thinking of that, but good
        luck to you. (Let us read it when it's done.) ---djb.

      • jen stevens
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 13, 2001
          At 03:10 PM 2/6/2001 -0500, wyspergrove@... wrote:
          >I am doing a paper on Spenser's influence on modern fantasy (more
          specifically-Spenser's influence on C.S. Lewis). Can any of you lovely
          people give me a few resources I may consult?

          >-Kat

          Kat,

          I'm sorry that this is so late, and I hope that this list will still be
          useful to you (it may be more than you want :). I meant to do it much
          earlier, but I was sick much of last week, and it (and many other things)
          got neglected. I'm posting these to the list in case anyone else might be
          interested...

          I found these articles and books while doing the literature search for my
          own spenser/lewis research (which has since mutated into some rather
          different angles...I greatly hope that it will now resolve itself!). Many
          of these didn't show up in my initial Modern Language Association online
          bibliography, which was very frustrating (I found them by literally going
          through the stacks). I am sure that this is only a very partial list of
          works on Lewis/Spenser. The degree to which Lewis' use of/relation to is
          addressed varies greatly.

          Also, in addition to "Spenser's Images of Life," you may want to look at
          Lewis' "English Literature in the Sixteenth Century, Excluding Drama."
          There is also an essay called "Spenser's Cruel Cupid" by Lewis about a
          scene in FQ; it gets referred to a lot in the Lewis literature (I think
          that it has been published in various essay collections; unfortunately, the
          essay collection I have is currently sitting in my office at the library...).

          Lewis and Spenserian Influence/Criticism

          Cox, John D. "Epistemological Release in The Silver Chair." A Longing for a
          Form. ed. Peter J. Schakel. Kent State University Press, 1977. 159-168.
          (incidentally, this essay is amazing!)

          The C.S. Lewis Readers' Encyclopedia. ed. Jeffrey D. Schultz and John G.
          West Jr. Grand Rapids, Michigan: Zondervan Publishing House, 1998.
          (Doesn't really discuss Lewis/Spenser very much, but does include a brief
          bibliography)

          Downing, David C. Planets in Peril. A Critical Study of C.S. Lewis's Ransom
          Trilogy. Amherst, Massachusetts: The University of Massachusetts Press, 1992.
          (includes a few general bits about Lewis/Spenser in relation to the Ransom
          Trilogy)

          Eastman, Jackie F. "C.S. Lewis's Indebtedness to Edmund Spenser: The
          Labyrinth Episode as Threshold Symbol in The Lion, the Witch, and the
          Wardrobe." Proceedings of the thirteenth annual conference of the
          Children's Literature Association. ed. Susan R. Gannon, Ruth Anne Thompson.
          University of Missouri, Kansas City, May 16-18, 1986.

          Haigh, John D. "C.S. Lewis and the Tradition of Visionary Romance." Word
          and Story in C.S. Lewis. ed. Peter J. Schakel and Charles A. Huttar.
          Columbia, MI. University of Missouri Press, 1991. 182-198.

          Hannay, Margaret Patterson. C.S. Lewis. New York: Frederick Ungar
          Publishing Co., 1981.
          (Discusses Lewis' literary criticism, including his work with Spenser).

          Hannay, Margaret P. "A Preface to Perelandra." The Longing for a Form. ed.
          Peter J. Schakel. Kent State University Press, 1977.

          Hannay, Margaret P. "Provocative Generalizations: The Allegory of Love in
          Retrospect." The Taste of the Pineapple. Essays on C.S. Lewis as Reader,
          Critic, and Imaginative Writer. ed. Bruce l. Edwards. Bowling Green, Ohio:
          Bowling Green State University Popular Press, 1988. 58-78.

          Myers, Doris T. C.S. Lewis in Context. Kent, Ohio: The Kent State
          University Press, 1994.
          (Myers argues that Lewis used a Spensarian form and structure throughout
          the Narnia books. She also has sections on his other fiction, but I haven't
          read them as closely.)

          They Stand Together. The Letters of C.S. Lewis to Arthur Greeves
          (1914-1963). ed. Walter Hooper. New York: Macmillan Publishing Company, 1979.
          (nothing on Lewis' reading of Spenser persay, but includes some charming
          bits about his first reading of Spenser, including his deliberations as to
          which edition of Spenser to purchase)

          - Jen
        • wyspergrove@netscape.net
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 16, 2001
            Thank you Jen Stevens, those sources did help me. (My paper is not due until May.)

            --Kat--