Re: [mythsoc] Spenser

  • Gwenyth Hood
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 6, 2001
      As far as Lewis's fiction is concerned, the most striking references I can think of are in _The Dark Tower_ or at least the criticisms of it. But that, of course, is a fragment, and a
      controversial one.

      Perhaps there is more in the Narnia stories or the Deep Space Trilogy. I haven't thought about it much.

      --Gwenyth Hood

      wyspergrove@... wrote:

      > I am doing a paper on Spenser's influence on modern fantasy (more specifically-Spenser's influence on C.S. Lewis). Can any of you lovely people give me a few resources I may consult?
      >
      > -Kat
      > Get your own FREE, personal Netscape Webmail account today at http://webmail.netscape.com/

    • Joe Christopher
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 8, 2001
        _______

        >Message: 8
        > Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2001 12:56:12 -0500
        > From: Gwenyth Hood <hood@...>
        >Subject: Re: Re: Spenser and Lewis
        >
        >Thanks, Joe. Do you have a full reference to your "Touring the Dark Tower"
        >article?
        >--Gwenyth Hood

        According to Lowenberg's secondary bibliography, it is

        Joe R. Christopher
        "Touring 'The Dark Tower'"
        _CSL: The Bulletin of the New York C. S. Lewis Society_ 9 (April 1978): 9-13.

        (Her annotation doesn't mention Spenser, I see. Oh well... But I _did_
        note a Spenserian reference or so.) Lowenberg does list 11 works on Lewis
        which she does annotate as mentioning Spenser, so there are further items
        for Kat--although I suppose she has already noted those.

        --Joe
      • wyspergrove@netscape.net
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 10, 2001
          >> According to Lowenberg's secondary bibliography, it is
          Joe R. Christopher
          "Touring 'The Dark Tower'"
          _CSL: The Bulletin of the New York C. S. Lewis Society_ 9 (April 1978): 9-13.
          (Her annotation doesn't mention Spenser, I see.  Oh well...  But I _did_
          note a Spenserian reference or so.)  Lowenberg does list 11 works on Lewis
          which she does annotate as mentioning Spenser, so there are further items
          for Kat--although I suppose she has already noted those.
          --Joe>>

          Yes, thank you.

          The more I research and read Spenser and Lewis, the more in awe I become. I feel so behind! My mother banned Lewis from our household; therefore, I did not get to read any of his works until last October(first College semester). I started with _Mere Christianity_, and I have read over 20 works since. I am currently reading _Spenser's Images of Life_- Lewis' lectures on "The Faerie Queen."
          This semester my Renaissance literature cource introduced me to Spenser. In an age where Erasmus sited 144 different ways of saying, "Thank you for your letter." (_De copia_), Spenser epitomizes copiousness. _The Faerie Queen_ contains approximately 3,864 stanzas; 34,776 lines; and 142,968 feet(that is 27.077 miles of poetry) all in strict meter and rhyme-Wow. It makes me want to write a similar epic in modern English.

          Thank you all for your resources and help.

          --Kat--
        • Diane Joy Baker
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 10, 2001
            My mother banned Lewis from our household; therefore, I did not get to read
            any of his works until last October(first College semester). I started with
            _Mere Christianity_, and I have read over 20 works since. I am currently
            reading _Spenser's Images of Life_- Lewis' lectures on "The Faerie Queen."

            Your mother banned CSL from the house? For Heaven's sake, why?

            > This semester my Renaissance literature cource introduced me to Spenser.
            In an age where Erasmus sited 144 different ways of saying, "Thank you for
            your letter." (_De copia_), Spenser epitomizes copiousness. _The Faerie
            Queen_ contains approximately 3,864 stanzas; 34,776 lines; and 142,968
            feet(that is 27.077 miles of poetry) all in strict meter and rhyme-Wow. It
            makes me want to write a similar epic in modern English.

            Spenser is hard to top, and I know you're not thinking of that, but good
            luck to you. (Let us read it when it's done.) ---djb.

          • jen stevens
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 13, 2001
              At 03:10 PM 2/6/2001 -0500, wyspergrove@... wrote:
              >I am doing a paper on Spenser's influence on modern fantasy (more
              specifically-Spenser's influence on C.S. Lewis). Can any of you lovely
              people give me a few resources I may consult?

              >-Kat

              Kat,

              I'm sorry that this is so late, and I hope that this list will still be
              useful to you (it may be more than you want :). I meant to do it much
              earlier, but I was sick much of last week, and it (and many other things)
              got neglected. I'm posting these to the list in case anyone else might be
              interested...

              I found these articles and books while doing the literature search for my
              own spenser/lewis research (which has since mutated into some rather
              different angles...I greatly hope that it will now resolve itself!). Many
              of these didn't show up in my initial Modern Language Association online
              bibliography, which was very frustrating (I found them by literally going
              through the stacks). I am sure that this is only a very partial list of
              works on Lewis/Spenser. The degree to which Lewis' use of/relation to is
              addressed varies greatly.

              Also, in addition to "Spenser's Images of Life," you may want to look at
              Lewis' "English Literature in the Sixteenth Century, Excluding Drama."
              There is also an essay called "Spenser's Cruel Cupid" by Lewis about a
              scene in FQ; it gets referred to a lot in the Lewis literature (I think
              that it has been published in various essay collections; unfortunately, the
              essay collection I have is currently sitting in my office at the library...).

              Lewis and Spenserian Influence/Criticism

              Cox, John D. "Epistemological Release in The Silver Chair." A Longing for a
              Form. ed. Peter J. Schakel. Kent State University Press, 1977. 159-168.
              (incidentally, this essay is amazing!)

              The C.S. Lewis Readers' Encyclopedia. ed. Jeffrey D. Schultz and John G.
              West Jr. Grand Rapids, Michigan: Zondervan Publishing House, 1998.
              (Doesn't really discuss Lewis/Spenser very much, but does include a brief
              bibliography)

              Downing, David C. Planets in Peril. A Critical Study of C.S. Lewis's Ransom
              Trilogy. Amherst, Massachusetts: The University of Massachusetts Press, 1992.
              (includes a few general bits about Lewis/Spenser in relation to the Ransom
              Trilogy)

              Eastman, Jackie F. "C.S. Lewis's Indebtedness to Edmund Spenser: The
              Labyrinth Episode as Threshold Symbol in The Lion, the Witch, and the
              Wardrobe." Proceedings of the thirteenth annual conference of the
              Children's Literature Association. ed. Susan R. Gannon, Ruth Anne Thompson.
              University of Missouri, Kansas City, May 16-18, 1986.

              Haigh, John D. "C.S. Lewis and the Tradition of Visionary Romance." Word
              and Story in C.S. Lewis. ed. Peter J. Schakel and Charles A. Huttar.
              Columbia, MI. University of Missouri Press, 1991. 182-198.

              Hannay, Margaret Patterson. C.S. Lewis. New York: Frederick Ungar
              Publishing Co., 1981.
              (Discusses Lewis' literary criticism, including his work with Spenser).

              Hannay, Margaret P. "A Preface to Perelandra." The Longing for a Form. ed.
              Peter J. Schakel. Kent State University Press, 1977.

              Hannay, Margaret P. "Provocative Generalizations: The Allegory of Love in
              Retrospect." The Taste of the Pineapple. Essays on C.S. Lewis as Reader,
              Critic, and Imaginative Writer. ed. Bruce l. Edwards. Bowling Green, Ohio:
              Bowling Green State University Popular Press, 1988. 58-78.

              Myers, Doris T. C.S. Lewis in Context. Kent, Ohio: The Kent State
              University Press, 1994.
              (Myers argues that Lewis used a Spensarian form and structure throughout
              the Narnia books. She also has sections on his other fiction, but I haven't
              read them as closely.)

              They Stand Together. The Letters of C.S. Lewis to Arthur Greeves
              (1914-1963). ed. Walter Hooper. New York: Macmillan Publishing Company, 1979.
              (nothing on Lewis' reading of Spenser persay, but includes some charming
              bits about his first reading of Spenser, including his deliberations as to
              which edition of Spenser to purchase)

              - Jen
            • wyspergrove@netscape.net
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 16, 2001
                Thank you Jen Stevens, those sources did help me. (My paper is not due until May.)

                --Kat--