Re: [mythsoc] The Lewis Tradition

  • David S. Bratman
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 6, 2001
      At 09:45 AM 2/6/2001 , Mary S. wrote:
      >In a message dated 2/5/01 6:49:46 PM Central Standard Time,
      >WendellWag@... writes:
      >
      >> Berni Phillips in _The Lewis Legacy_.
      >
      >If it is the same one she entered in the 1998 Mythcon Contest - it was
      >=excellent=.

      Of course it was.

      David Bratman
    • Paul F. Labaki
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 6, 2001
        > From: "David S. Bratman" <dbratman@...>

        > I consider it generally better to say "This work resembles that work" than
        > to claim it as an influence, even a possible influence, unless there's
        > evidence or the resemblance is unmistakable. (For instance, without
        > evidence I'm not prepared to say that Lewis got Aslan from Persia or Narnia
        > from Rome, but I am pretty sure that the Dawn Treader owes something to the
        > likes of St. Brendan, even though it sails in the opposite direction.)
        >
        > Remember that resemblance doesn't necessarily mean influence, and influence
        > doesn't necessarily mean resemblance.

        An excellent point, David. Thank you for the reminder.

        Paul Labaki
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 6, 2001
          dbratman@... writes:

          << At 09:45 AM 2/6/2001 , Mary S. wrote:
          >In a message dated 2/5/01 6:49:46 PM Central Standard Time,
          >WendellWag@... writes:
          >
          >> Berni Phillips in _The Lewis Legacy_.
          >
          >If it is the same one she entered in the 1998 Mythcon Contest - it was
          >=excellent=.

          Whoa! How did my name get in there? I wasn't the one who said that.

          Wendell Wagner
        • David S. Bratman
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 7, 2001
            At 06:35 PM 2/6/2001 , Wendell Wagner wrote:
            >In a message dated 2/6/01 1:24:35 PM Eastern Standard Time,
            >dbratman@... writes:
            >
            ><< At 09:45 AM 2/6/2001 , Mary S. wrote:
            > >In a message dated 2/5/01 6:49:46 PM Central Standard Time,
            > >WendellWag@... writes:
            > >
            > >> Berni Phillips in _The Lewis Legacy_.
            > >
            > >If it is the same one she entered in the 1998 Mythcon Contest - it was
            > >=excellent=.
            > >>

            >Whoa! How did my name get in there? I wasn't the one who said that.

            You were quoting Joe Christopher who had listed Berni's letter, and that
            attribution apparently got cut in Mary's message. (I trust you're not
            referring to the compliment, which was Mary's own.)

            David Bratman