Re: [mythsoc] The Lewis Tradition

  • David S. Bratman
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 6, 2001
      At 05:49 PM 2/5/2001 , Paul Labaki wrote:
      >One that you may find as influence on Lewis is Mark Twain's _Letters from
      >the Earth_. Ok, so it's sort of Screwtape's reciprocal, but it appears as
      >if it may have been an influence. I have no idea what Lewis thought of
      >Twain or his work, or even if Lewis ever read Twain, but it is worth a look.
      >Some might find it better than mediocre, even if it is not widely known.

      Lewis is unlikely to have seen _Letters from the Earth_, certainly not
      before writing Screwtape. Mark Twain himself never published it, and even
      after it was edited for publication in the 1930s, its incendiary nature
      caused so much concern that it wasn't actually published until 1962, by
      which time even the editor had been dead for several years.

      I consider it generally better to say "This work resembles that work" than
      to claim it as an influence, even a possible influence, unless there's
      evidence or the resemblance is unmistakable. (For instance, without
      evidence I'm not prepared to say that Lewis got Aslan from Persia or Narnia
      from Rome, but I am pretty sure that the Dawn Treader owes something to the
      likes of St. Brendan, even though it sails in the opposite direction.)

      Remember that resemblance doesn't necessarily mean influence, and influence
      doesn't necessarily mean resemblance.

      David Bratman
    • David S. Bratman
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 6, 2001
        At 09:45 AM 2/6/2001 , Mary S. wrote:
        >In a message dated 2/5/01 6:49:46 PM Central Standard Time,
        >WendellWag@... writes:
        >
        >> Berni Phillips in _The Lewis Legacy_.
        >
        >If it is the same one she entered in the 1998 Mythcon Contest - it was
        >=excellent=.

        Of course it was.

        David Bratman
      • Paul F. Labaki
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 6, 2001
          > From: "David S. Bratman" <dbratman@...>

          > I consider it generally better to say "This work resembles that work" than
          > to claim it as an influence, even a possible influence, unless there's
          > evidence or the resemblance is unmistakable. (For instance, without
          > evidence I'm not prepared to say that Lewis got Aslan from Persia or Narnia
          > from Rome, but I am pretty sure that the Dawn Treader owes something to the
          > likes of St. Brendan, even though it sails in the opposite direction.)
          >
          > Remember that resemblance doesn't necessarily mean influence, and influence
          > doesn't necessarily mean resemblance.

          An excellent point, David. Thank you for the reminder.

          Paul Labaki
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 6, 2001
            dbratman@... writes:

            << At 09:45 AM 2/6/2001 , Mary S. wrote:
            >In a message dated 2/5/01 6:49:46 PM Central Standard Time,
            >WendellWag@... writes:
            >
            >> Berni Phillips in _The Lewis Legacy_.
            >
            >If it is the same one she entered in the 1998 Mythcon Contest - it was
            >=excellent=.

            Whoa! How did my name get in there? I wasn't the one who said that.

            Wendell Wagner
          • David S. Bratman
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 7, 2001
              At 06:35 PM 2/6/2001 , Wendell Wagner wrote:
              >In a message dated 2/6/01 1:24:35 PM Eastern Standard Time,
              >dbratman@... writes:
              >
              ><< At 09:45 AM 2/6/2001 , Mary S. wrote:
              > >In a message dated 2/5/01 6:49:46 PM Central Standard Time,
              > >WendellWag@... writes:
              > >
              > >> Berni Phillips in _The Lewis Legacy_.
              > >
              > >If it is the same one she entered in the 1998 Mythcon Contest - it was
              > >=excellent=.
              > >>

              >Whoa! How did my name get in there? I wasn't the one who said that.

              You were quoting Joe Christopher who had listed Berni's letter, and that
              attribution apparently got cut in Mary's message. (I trust you're not
              referring to the compliment, which was Mary's own.)

              David Bratman