Re: [mythsoc] The Lewis Tradition

  • jen stevens
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 5 6:01 PM
      ...ie "The Valient Letters" by Calvin Miller (it's quite good!). Oh, and I
      would add Calvin Miller to the "influenced by Lewis" list if he's not
      already been mentioned...

      - Jen Stevens

      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 6 1:26 AM
        In a message dated 2/5/01 8:49:58 PM Eastern Standard Time, sheik@...
        writes:

        << One that you may find as influence on Lewis is Mark Twain's _Letters from
        the Earth_. >>

        I've read _Letters from the Earth_, and I thought it was reasonably good.
        What I was talking about was three books I know of that are directly (and
        with acknowlegement) inspired by _The Screwtape Letters_: _The Snakebite
        Letters_ by Peter Kreeft, _Screwtape Writes Again_ by Walter Martin, and _The
        Fleetwood Correspondence_ by William Griffin. None of the three are
        particularly good.

        Wendell Wagner
      • Stolzi@aol.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 6 9:45 AM
          WendellWag@... writes:

          > Berni Phillips in _The Lewis Legacy_.

          If it is the same one she entered in the 1998 Mythcon Contest - it was
          =excellent=.

          Mary S
        • David S. Bratman
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 6 9:49 AM
            At 05:49 PM 2/5/2001 , Paul Labaki wrote:
            >One that you may find as influence on Lewis is Mark Twain's _Letters from
            >the Earth_. Ok, so it's sort of Screwtape's reciprocal, but it appears as
            >if it may have been an influence. I have no idea what Lewis thought of
            >Twain or his work, or even if Lewis ever read Twain, but it is worth a look.
            >Some might find it better than mediocre, even if it is not widely known.

            Lewis is unlikely to have seen _Letters from the Earth_, certainly not
            before writing Screwtape. Mark Twain himself never published it, and even
            after it was edited for publication in the 1930s, its incendiary nature
            caused so much concern that it wasn't actually published until 1962, by
            which time even the editor had been dead for several years.

            I consider it generally better to say "This work resembles that work" than
            to claim it as an influence, even a possible influence, unless there's
            evidence or the resemblance is unmistakable. (For instance, without
            evidence I'm not prepared to say that Lewis got Aslan from Persia or Narnia
            from Rome, but I am pretty sure that the Dawn Treader owes something to the
            likes of St. Brendan, even though it sails in the opposite direction.)

            Remember that resemblance doesn't necessarily mean influence, and influence
            doesn't necessarily mean resemblance.

            David Bratman
          • David S. Bratman
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 6 10:22 AM
              At 09:45 AM 2/6/2001 , Mary S. wrote:
              >In a message dated 2/5/01 6:49:46 PM Central Standard Time,
              >WendellWag@... writes:
              >
              >> Berni Phillips in _The Lewis Legacy_.
              >
              >If it is the same one she entered in the 1998 Mythcon Contest - it was
              >=excellent=.

              Of course it was.

              David Bratman
            • Paul F. Labaki
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 6 4:26 PM
                > From: "David S. Bratman" <dbratman@...>

                > I consider it generally better to say "This work resembles that work" than
                > to claim it as an influence, even a possible influence, unless there's
                > evidence or the resemblance is unmistakable. (For instance, without
                > evidence I'm not prepared to say that Lewis got Aslan from Persia or Narnia
                > from Rome, but I am pretty sure that the Dawn Treader owes something to the
                > likes of St. Brendan, even though it sails in the opposite direction.)
                >
                > Remember that resemblance doesn't necessarily mean influence, and influence
                > doesn't necessarily mean resemblance.

                An excellent point, David. Thank you for the reminder.

                Paul Labaki
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 6 6:35 PM
                  dbratman@... writes:

                  << At 09:45 AM 2/6/2001 , Mary S. wrote:
                  >In a message dated 2/5/01 6:49:46 PM Central Standard Time,
                  >WendellWag@... writes:
                  >
                  >> Berni Phillips in _The Lewis Legacy_.
                  >
                  >If it is the same one she entered in the 1998 Mythcon Contest - it was
                  >=excellent=.

                  Whoa! How did my name get in there? I wasn't the one who said that.

                  Wendell Wagner
                • David S. Bratman
                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 7 9:35 AM
                    At 06:35 PM 2/6/2001 , Wendell Wagner wrote:
                    >In a message dated 2/6/01 1:24:35 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                    >dbratman@... writes:
                    >
                    ><< At 09:45 AM 2/6/2001 , Mary S. wrote:
                    > >In a message dated 2/5/01 6:49:46 PM Central Standard Time,
                    > >WendellWag@... writes:
                    > >
                    > >> Berni Phillips in _The Lewis Legacy_.
                    > >
                    > >If it is the same one she entered in the 1998 Mythcon Contest - it was
                    > >=excellent=.
                    > >>

                    >Whoa! How did my name get in there? I wasn't the one who said that.

                    You were quoting Joe Christopher who had listed Berni's letter, and that
                    attribution apparently got cut in Mary's message. (I trust you're not
                    referring to the compliment, which was Mary's own.)

                    David Bratman