Re: [mythsoc] The Lewis Tradition

  • Paul F. Labaki
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 5, 2001
      One that you may find as influence on Lewis is Mark Twain's _Letters from
      the Earth_. Ok, so it's sort of Screwtape's reciprocal, but it appears as
      if it may have been an influence. I have no idea what Lewis thought of
      Twain or his work, or even if Lewis ever read Twain, but it is worth a look.
      Some might find it better than mediocre, even if it is not widely known.

      Peace,
      Paul Labaki

      > From: WendellWag@...
      > Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 19:48:24 EST
      > To: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
      > Subject: Re: [mythsoc] The Lewis Tradition
      >
      > In a message dated 2/5/01 6:28:02 PM Eastern Standard Time,
      > jchristopher@... writes:
      >
      > << I suppose we could say that everyone who has written a Screwtape imitation
      > is in Lewis's tradition. That includes Charles Williams (in a review),
      > Dorothy L. Sayers (in a letter to Lewis), and Walter Hooper (a rather poor
      > imitation, but certainly in the tradition). Also a batch of people through
      > the years in _CSL_. And Berni Phillips in _The Lewis Legacy_. Etc., etc.
      > (There are also several books.) >>
      >
      > I've read three such books, and I think they're mediocre at best.
      >
      > Wendell Wagner

    • jen stevens
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 5, 2001
        ...ie "The Valient Letters" by Calvin Miller (it's quite good!). Oh, and I
        would add Calvin Miller to the "influenced by Lewis" list if he's not
        already been mentioned...

        - Jen Stevens

        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 6, 2001
          In a message dated 2/5/01 8:49:58 PM Eastern Standard Time, sheik@...
          writes:

          << One that you may find as influence on Lewis is Mark Twain's _Letters from
          the Earth_. >>

          I've read _Letters from the Earth_, and I thought it was reasonably good.
          What I was talking about was three books I know of that are directly (and
          with acknowlegement) inspired by _The Screwtape Letters_: _The Snakebite
          Letters_ by Peter Kreeft, _Screwtape Writes Again_ by Walter Martin, and _The
          Fleetwood Correspondence_ by William Griffin. None of the three are
          particularly good.

          Wendell Wagner
        • Stolzi@aol.com
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 6, 2001
            WendellWag@... writes:

            > Berni Phillips in _The Lewis Legacy_.

            If it is the same one she entered in the 1998 Mythcon Contest - it was
            =excellent=.

            Mary S
          • David S. Bratman
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 6, 2001
              At 05:49 PM 2/5/2001 , Paul Labaki wrote:
              >One that you may find as influence on Lewis is Mark Twain's _Letters from
              >the Earth_. Ok, so it's sort of Screwtape's reciprocal, but it appears as
              >if it may have been an influence. I have no idea what Lewis thought of
              >Twain or his work, or even if Lewis ever read Twain, but it is worth a look.
              >Some might find it better than mediocre, even if it is not widely known.

              Lewis is unlikely to have seen _Letters from the Earth_, certainly not
              before writing Screwtape. Mark Twain himself never published it, and even
              after it was edited for publication in the 1930s, its incendiary nature
              caused so much concern that it wasn't actually published until 1962, by
              which time even the editor had been dead for several years.

              I consider it generally better to say "This work resembles that work" than
              to claim it as an influence, even a possible influence, unless there's
              evidence or the resemblance is unmistakable. (For instance, without
              evidence I'm not prepared to say that Lewis got Aslan from Persia or Narnia
              from Rome, but I am pretty sure that the Dawn Treader owes something to the
              likes of St. Brendan, even though it sails in the opposite direction.)

              Remember that resemblance doesn't necessarily mean influence, and influence
              doesn't necessarily mean resemblance.

              David Bratman
            • David S. Bratman
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 6, 2001
                At 09:45 AM 2/6/2001 , Mary S. wrote:
                >In a message dated 2/5/01 6:49:46 PM Central Standard Time,
                >WendellWag@... writes:
                >
                >> Berni Phillips in _The Lewis Legacy_.
                >
                >If it is the same one she entered in the 1998 Mythcon Contest - it was
                >=excellent=.

                Of course it was.

                David Bratman
              • Paul F. Labaki
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 6, 2001
                  > From: "David S. Bratman" <dbratman@...>

                  > I consider it generally better to say "This work resembles that work" than
                  > to claim it as an influence, even a possible influence, unless there's
                  > evidence or the resemblance is unmistakable. (For instance, without
                  > evidence I'm not prepared to say that Lewis got Aslan from Persia or Narnia
                  > from Rome, but I am pretty sure that the Dawn Treader owes something to the
                  > likes of St. Brendan, even though it sails in the opposite direction.)
                  >
                  > Remember that resemblance doesn't necessarily mean influence, and influence
                  > doesn't necessarily mean resemblance.

                  An excellent point, David. Thank you for the reminder.

                  Paul Labaki
                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 6, 2001
                    dbratman@... writes:

                    << At 09:45 AM 2/6/2001 , Mary S. wrote:
                    >In a message dated 2/5/01 6:49:46 PM Central Standard Time,
                    >WendellWag@... writes:
                    >
                    >> Berni Phillips in _The Lewis Legacy_.
                    >
                    >If it is the same one she entered in the 1998 Mythcon Contest - it was
                    >=excellent=.

                    Whoa! How did my name get in there? I wasn't the one who said that.

                    Wendell Wagner
                  • David S. Bratman
                    Message 9 of 11 , Feb 7, 2001
                      At 06:35 PM 2/6/2001 , Wendell Wagner wrote:
                      >In a message dated 2/6/01 1:24:35 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                      >dbratman@... writes:
                      >
                      ><< At 09:45 AM 2/6/2001 , Mary S. wrote:
                      > >In a message dated 2/5/01 6:49:46 PM Central Standard Time,
                      > >WendellWag@... writes:
                      > >
                      > >> Berni Phillips in _The Lewis Legacy_.
                      > >
                      > >If it is the same one she entered in the 1998 Mythcon Contest - it was
                      > >=excellent=.
                      > >>

                      >Whoa! How did my name get in there? I wasn't the one who said that.

                      You were quoting Joe Christopher who had listed Berni's letter, and that
                      attribution apparently got cut in Mary's message. (I trust you're not
                      referring to the compliment, which was Mary's own.)

                      David Bratman