Re: [mythsoc] Charles Williams

  • David S. Bratman
    Message 1 of 25 , Feb 5, 2001
      At 07:20 AM 2/5/2001 , Ted Sherman wrote:

      >Get a copy of Williams's "The Image of the City and Other Essays," edited
      >(if I remember correctly) by Anne Ridler. It contains an essay or two on
      >Williams's notions of substitution, exchange, and coinherence. There're also
      >numerous books on Williams's theology, though the titles escape me at the
      >present.

      Here are some books on Williams's theology. (Look in a university library
      for these.)

      Cavaliero, Glen. _Charles Williams, Poet of Theology._ Eerdmans, 1983.

      Shideler, Mary McDermott. _The Theology of Romantic Love._ Harper, 1962.

      Weeks, Dennis L. _Steps Toward Salvation._ Lang, 1991.

      David Bratman
    • Grace E. Funk
      Message 2 of 25 , Feb 7, 2001
        To Cornelia Penner re Charles Williams' co-inherence. Someone will refer
        you to Lewis' biographies/ autobiographical writings. I suggest you
        discover the works of Elizabeth Gouge, and in particular "The Heart of
        the Family". There are several examples, as: "He did not know what he
        had given the child - the freedom from pain that he might have had in
        his last moments, perhaps, to give her lifelong freedom from some shape
        of fear which haunted her..." One of the characters sends his "peace" to
        another, and receives in return a burden of fatigue and fear and
        despair. Grace.

      • Croft, Janet B
        Message 3 of 25 , Feb 27, 2003
          Might it be worth nominating for our awards, even though we haven't seen it
          yet? I guess it's not likely to get to you before tomorrow's deadline.

          Janet

          Janet Brennan Croft
          Head of Access Services
          University of Oklahoma
          Bizzell Library NW104
          Norman OK 73019
          405-325-1918
          fax 405-325-7618
          jbcroft@...
          http://libraries.ou.edu/ <http://libraries.ou.edu/>
          <http://faculty-staff.ou.edu/C/Janet.B.Croft-1/>
          There are two kinds of people in this world: those who need closure

            Message 5 of 25 , Feb 27, 2003
              It's a 2003 book, so it wouldn't be eligible. By our 3-year eligibility
              period for scholarship, it would be eligible in 2004-06, so don't worry
              about missing the boat.

              But remember, this is an Inklings scholarship award, so you'd be nominating
              the book for the quality of Jared Lobdell's editing and supplementary
              material, not for the value of having Williams's texts reprinted. The only
              such books that have ever won the MFA are Doug Anderson's _Annotated
              Hobbit_ and Christina Scull & Wayne Hammond's _Roverandom_, so our
              standards for such work are pretty high. Digging out rare material,
              dressing it up, and publishing it, are worthy acts, but perhaps one needs
              to do more than that to deserve an MSA. (Mind you, I haven't seen the book
              so I don't know how much Jared actually did.)

              - David Bratman

              Message 6 of 25 , Feb 27, 2003
                D'oh -- right, it is a 2003 book and not eligible this year. Well, let's
                hope it's a good job of editing for the sake of Williams scholarship, and
                keep it in mind for next year, then, if Lobdell did substantial work on it..

                Janet

                It's a 2003 book, so it wouldn't be eligible. By our 3-year eligibility
                period for scholarship, it would be eligible in 2004-06, so don't worry
                about missing the boat.

                But remember, this is an Inklings scholarship award, so you'd be nominating
                the book for the quality of Jared Lobdell's editing and supplementary
                material, not for the value of having Williams's texts reprinted. The only
                such books that have ever won the MFA are Doug Anderson's _Annotated
                Hobbit_ and Christina Scull & Wayne Hammond's _Roverandom_, so our
                standards for such work are pretty high. Digging out rare material,
                dressing it up, and publishing it, are worthy acts, but perhaps one needs
                to do more than that to deserve an MSA. (Mind you, I haven't seen the book
                so I don't know how much Jared actually did.)

                - David Bratman

                At 08:08 AM 2/27/2003 , Janet wrote:
                >Might it be worth nominating for our awards, even though we haven't seen it
                >yet? I guess it's not likely to get to you before tomorrow's deadline.

                l/S=:HM/A=1430287/rand=680774983>

                <http://www.mythsoc.org>

                <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

              • pegasus48124
                Message 7 of 25 , Aug 9, 2004
                  I've never had the pleasure of discovering the works of Charles
                  Williams. Can someone recommend a good starting point?
                  Mike Ethier (new member)
                • dianejoy@earthlink.net
                  Message 8 of 25 , Aug 9, 2004
                    *The Place of the Lion* is probably the most accessible of his works,
                    though I also enjoyed *The Greater Trumps.* ---djb

                    I've never had the pleasure of discovering the works of Charles
                    Williams. Can someone recommend a good starting point?
                    Mike Ethier (new member)

                    Yahoo! Groups Links

                    http://mail2web.com/ .
                  • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                    Message 9 of 25 , Aug 9, 2004
                      I really, really loved his Arthurian poems. In my opinion, there is no
                      shame in reading them right along with a guide, say, CSLewis' essays that
                      are bound with them in the Erdman volume, or some other. It makes them
                      that much more real. The novels are good too, but I think the poems are
                      better, more creative genius really.

                      I thought the URL at amazon was too long, here is a title:

                      Taliessin through Logres [and] The region of the summer stars,
                      by Charles Williams
                      (out of print, Erdman's publisher)

                      There are several copies at abebooks, search under
                      Taliessin
                      for Taliessin through Logres

                      This is Grail/Arthurian stuff. The novels treat of various supernatural
                      and Christian themes. If you have a favorite theme you are hankering
                      after, you might like to pick a first that way (Tarot, etc.).

                      For general info about the poems, google
                      Charles Williams Arthuriad
                      and take your pick.

                      Lizzie

                      Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                      lizziewriter@...
                      amor vincit omnia
                    • Joan Marie Verba
                      Message 10 of 25 , Aug 9, 2004
                        Try The Masques of Amen House, available from the Mythopoeic Press at
                        www.mythsoc.com. (In the interest of full disclosure, I was part of the
                        team that published it. But I wouldn't have unless I thought it was a
                        worthwhile title.)

                        Joan
                        Joan Marie Verba
                        verba001@...
                      • Stolzi
                        Message 11 of 25 , Aug 9, 2004
                          For me, the most accessible of the novels is "War in Heaven."

                          The poetry is NOT a good starting point.

                          Diamond Proudbrook
                        • jamcconney@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 25 , Aug 9, 2004
                            I agree with Diamond P. I started with War in Heaven and think it is the
                            most accessible. My favorite is Descent into Hell (though I consider it
                            structurally flawed) but it's probably not the one to start with (when you're ready
                            for it, it will lift you right off the chair). Also like The Greater Trumps
                            and All Hallows Eve, but never really got with The Place of the Lion.

                            I rather imagine we're all going to be widely separated on our favorites
                            (and un-favorites).

                            Anne

                          • Mari Dole
                            Message 13 of 25 , Aug 9, 2004
                              Yes, I agree, and the first sentence is a classic.

                              Mari

                              Message 14 of 25 , Aug 9, 2004
                                Oh, I hope someone speaks up in defense of the Arthuriad overnight tonight.
                                Or I will have to raise a fuss tomorrow.

                                sleep tight,

                                Lizzie

                                Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                                lizziewriter@...
                                amor vincit omnia
                              • Stolzi
                                Message 15 of 25 , Dec 1, 2004
                                  Thomas Howard has an online article on the "no. 3 Inkling":

                                  http://tinyurl.com/5jske

                                  or go to

                                  http://www.touchstonemag.com/archives/article.php?id=17-10-033-f

                                  There's a wonderful line in here

                                  ' Williams unfailingly leads us all on what George Eliot called "a severe
                                  mental scamper." '

                                  I'm including a copy to Wingfold because part-way down Howard reaches the
                                  question of GMD, Hell, and Heaven.

                                  Diamond Proudbrook
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Dec 1, 2004
                                    At 04:21 PM 12/1/2004 -0600, Stolzi wrote:

                                    >Thomas Howard has an online article on the "no. 3 Inkling":

                                    This is quite interesting, and entertaining. Howard is the Tom Shippey of
                                    Williams studies.

                                    On the difficulty of Williams's style, I cherish a review he wrote of
                                    Lewis's "Problem of Pain", which begins:

                                    "I shall not attempt to summarize here an already compact book. Mr.
                                    Lewis's prose is known, and those who know it would not thank me for
                                    translating it into mine."

                                    David Bratman
                                  • John Davis
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Feb 16, 2009
                                      Hi,

                                      (Not sure if this is off-topic of not - if so, many apologies...)

                                      Does anyone know of any other authors who write in a similar vein to Charles Williams? Aside from Lewis' 'Hideous Strength', I don't know of any, which makes coming to the end of the last two of Williams' books rather sad...

                                      John

                                    • Berni Phillips
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Feb 16, 2009
                                        You might enjoy the books of Tim Powers. His _Declare_ is the novel which
                                        most shows his Christianity. (He's a Catholic Christian.) All of his
                                        novels are good. Also James Blaylock's novels might be your cup of tea,
                                        particularly _The Paper Grail_.

                                        Berni

                                        > Does anyone know of any other authors who write in a similar vein to
                                        > Charles Williams? Aside from Lewis' 'Hideous Strength', I don't know of
                                        > any, which makes coming to the end of the last two of Williams' books
                                        > rather sad...
                                        >
                                        > John
                                      • John Davis
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Feb 17, 2009
                                          Hi Berni,

                                          Thanks for that - I'll give them a try.

                                          Although it is probably the non-Christian elements of Williams' books that most appeal to me, which is to say that they often seem more spiritual than Christian - the emphasis being on morality rather than church.

                                          John

                                          > Does anyone know of any other authors who write in a similar vein to
                                          > Charles Williams? Aside from Lewis' 'Hideous Strength', I don't know of
                                          > any, which makes coming to the end of the last two of Williams' books
                                          > rather sad...
                                          >
                                          > John

                                        • Jason Fisher
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Feb 17, 2009
                                            John,

                                            Try Gustav Meyrink's The Golem (1915). It's just one novel and so wouldn't tide you over much, I guess; but to me, it very much has a Charles Williams feel. It's kind of a spiritual horror set in the Jewish ghetto of Prague. Borges was a big fan of the novel, but it's been largely forgotten since.

                                            Jason

                                            ________________________________
                                            Although it is probably the non-Christian elements of Williams' books that most appeal to me, which is to say that they often seem more spiritual than Christian - the emphasis being on morality rather than church.

                                            John

                                            > Does anyone know of any other authors who write in a similar vein to
                                            > Charles Williams? Aside from Lewis' 'Hideous Strength', I don't know of
                                            > any, which makes coming to the end of the last two of Williams' books
                                            > rather sad...
                                            >
                                            > John

                                            Get the free SPAMfighter here: http://www.spamfigh ter.com/len

                                          • John D Rateliff
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Feb 17, 2009
                                              In that case, I'd suggest you go behind Williams and give Algernon
                                              Blackwood's JOHN SILENCE a try. And also Wm Yeats' "Rosa
                                              Alchemica" (most easily found, with two related tales, in MYTHOLOGIES
                                              [1959]). Some Arthur Machen stories also hover close to that territory.
                                              If it had been the supernatural suspense that hooked you, I'd
                                              have suggested Sax Rohmer.
                                              I don't think there's anybody who's quite like Williams, though.
                                              --John R.

                                              On Feb 17, 2009, at 1:22 AM, John Davis wrote:
                                              > Although it is probably the non-Christian elements of Williams'
                                              > books that most appeal to me, which is to say that they often seem
                                              > more spiritual than Christian - the emphasis being on morality
                                              > rather than church.
                                            • John Davis
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Feb 18, 2009
                                                Thanks for everyone's suggestions. I'll give them all a try.

                                                John