Re: [mythsoc] Charles Williams

  • ERATRIANO@aol.com
    Message 1 of 25 , Feb 5, 2001
      In a message dated 02/05/2001 10:03:07 AM Eastern Standard Time,
      hood@... writes:

      << This idea about people "literally bearing each other's burdens" is also in
      _All Hallows Eve_, by Charles Williams. Likewise it seems to appear in
      _Till We Have Faces_ by C. S. Lewis. I am not a Williams scholar and can't
      give a history of the concept as Williams develops it, but my impression is
      that he uses it quite a lot. >>

      Some of this is pretty, what is the word? orthodox prayer stuff. Words may
      be failing me but the mechanism is familiar just from years of being an
      Episcopalian. Maybe I've just been lucky in the people and writings and use
      of the prayer book... anyway, some of the answers you are looking for may be
      tracked down through a seminarian or other, more religious, connection.

      Lizzie, inchoate as usual
    • David S. Bratman
      Message 2 of 25 , Feb 5, 2001
        At 07:20 AM 2/5/2001 , Ted Sherman wrote:

        >Get a copy of Williams's "The Image of the City and Other Essays," edited
        >(if I remember correctly) by Anne Ridler. It contains an essay or two on
        >Williams's notions of substitution, exchange, and coinherence. There're also
        >numerous books on Williams's theology, though the titles escape me at the
        >present.

        Here are some books on Williams's theology. (Look in a university library
        for these.)

        Cavaliero, Glen. _Charles Williams, Poet of Theology._ Eerdmans, 1983.

        Shideler, Mary McDermott. _The Theology of Romantic Love._ Harper, 1962.

        Weeks, Dennis L. _Steps Toward Salvation._ Lang, 1991.

        David Bratman
      • Grace E. Funk
        Message 3 of 25 , Feb 7, 2001
          To Cornelia Penner re Charles Williams' co-inherence. Someone will refer
          you to Lewis' biographies/ autobiographical writings. I suggest you
          discover the works of Elizabeth Gouge, and in particular "The Heart of
          the Family". There are several examples, as: "He did not know what he
          had given the child - the freedom from pain that he might have had in
          his last moments, perhaps, to give her lifelong freedom from some shape
          of fear which haunted her..." One of the characters sends his "peace" to
          another, and receives in return a burden of fatigue and fear and
          despair. Grace.

        • Croft, Janet B
          Message 4 of 25 , Feb 27, 2003
            Might it be worth nominating for our awards, even though we haven't seen it
            yet? I guess it's not likely to get to you before tomorrow's deadline.

            Janet

            Janet Brennan Croft
            Head of Access Services
            University of Oklahoma
            Bizzell Library NW104
            Norman OK 73019
            405-325-1918
            fax 405-325-7618
            jbcroft@...
            http://libraries.ou.edu/ <http://libraries.ou.edu/>
            <http://faculty-staff.ou.edu/C/Janet.B.Croft-1/>
            There are two kinds of people in this world: those who need closure

              Message 6 of 25 , Feb 27, 2003
                It's a 2003 book, so it wouldn't be eligible. By our 3-year eligibility
                period for scholarship, it would be eligible in 2004-06, so don't worry
                about missing the boat.

                But remember, this is an Inklings scholarship award, so you'd be nominating
                the book for the quality of Jared Lobdell's editing and supplementary
                material, not for the value of having Williams's texts reprinted. The only
                such books that have ever won the MFA are Doug Anderson's _Annotated
                Hobbit_ and Christina Scull & Wayne Hammond's _Roverandom_, so our
                standards for such work are pretty high. Digging out rare material,
                dressing it up, and publishing it, are worthy acts, but perhaps one needs
                to do more than that to deserve an MSA. (Mind you, I haven't seen the book
                so I don't know how much Jared actually did.)

                - David Bratman

                Message 7 of 25 , Feb 27, 2003
                  D'oh -- right, it is a 2003 book and not eligible this year. Well, let's
                  hope it's a good job of editing for the sake of Williams scholarship, and
                  keep it in mind for next year, then, if Lobdell did substantial work on it..

                  Janet

                  It's a 2003 book, so it wouldn't be eligible. By our 3-year eligibility
                  period for scholarship, it would be eligible in 2004-06, so don't worry
                  about missing the boat.

                  But remember, this is an Inklings scholarship award, so you'd be nominating
                  the book for the quality of Jared Lobdell's editing and supplementary
                  material, not for the value of having Williams's texts reprinted. The only
                  such books that have ever won the MFA are Doug Anderson's _Annotated
                  Hobbit_ and Christina Scull & Wayne Hammond's _Roverandom_, so our
                  standards for such work are pretty high. Digging out rare material,
                  dressing it up, and publishing it, are worthy acts, but perhaps one needs
                  to do more than that to deserve an MSA. (Mind you, I haven't seen the book
                  so I don't know how much Jared actually did.)

                  - David Bratman

                  At 08:08 AM 2/27/2003 , Janet wrote:
                  >Might it be worth nominating for our awards, even though we haven't seen it
                  >yet? I guess it's not likely to get to you before tomorrow's deadline.

                  l/S=:HM/A=1430287/rand=680774983>

                  <http://www.mythsoc.org>

                  <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                • pegasus48124
                  Message 8 of 25 , Aug 9, 2004
                    I've never had the pleasure of discovering the works of Charles
                    Williams. Can someone recommend a good starting point?
                    Mike Ethier (new member)
                  • dianejoy@earthlink.net
                    Message 9 of 25 , Aug 9, 2004
                      *The Place of the Lion* is probably the most accessible of his works,
                      though I also enjoyed *The Greater Trumps.* ---djb

                      I've never had the pleasure of discovering the works of Charles
                      Williams. Can someone recommend a good starting point?
                      Mike Ethier (new member)

                      Yahoo! Groups Links

                      http://mail2web.com/ .
                    • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                      Message 10 of 25 , Aug 9, 2004
                        I really, really loved his Arthurian poems. In my opinion, there is no
                        shame in reading them right along with a guide, say, CSLewis' essays that
                        are bound with them in the Erdman volume, or some other. It makes them
                        that much more real. The novels are good too, but I think the poems are
                        better, more creative genius really.

                        I thought the URL at amazon was too long, here is a title:

                        Taliessin through Logres [and] The region of the summer stars,
                        by Charles Williams
                        (out of print, Erdman's publisher)

                        There are several copies at abebooks, search under
                        Taliessin
                        for Taliessin through Logres

                        This is Grail/Arthurian stuff. The novels treat of various supernatural
                        and Christian themes. If you have a favorite theme you are hankering
                        after, you might like to pick a first that way (Tarot, etc.).

                        For general info about the poems, google
                        Charles Williams Arthuriad
                        and take your pick.

                        Lizzie

                        Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                        lizziewriter@...
                        amor vincit omnia
                      • Joan Marie Verba
                        Message 11 of 25 , Aug 9, 2004
                          Try The Masques of Amen House, available from the Mythopoeic Press at
                          www.mythsoc.com. (In the interest of full disclosure, I was part of the
                          team that published it. But I wouldn't have unless I thought it was a
                          worthwhile title.)

                          Joan
                          Joan Marie Verba
                          verba001@...
                        • Stolzi
                          Message 12 of 25 , Aug 9, 2004
                            For me, the most accessible of the novels is "War in Heaven."

                            The poetry is NOT a good starting point.

                            Diamond Proudbrook
                          • jamcconney@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 25 , Aug 9, 2004
                              I agree with Diamond P. I started with War in Heaven and think it is the
                              most accessible. My favorite is Descent into Hell (though I consider it
                              structurally flawed) but it's probably not the one to start with (when you're ready
                              for it, it will lift you right off the chair). Also like The Greater Trumps
                              and All Hallows Eve, but never really got with The Place of the Lion.

                              I rather imagine we're all going to be widely separated on our favorites
                              (and un-favorites).

                              Anne

                            • Mari Dole
                              Message 14 of 25 , Aug 9, 2004
                                Yes, I agree, and the first sentence is a classic.

                                Mari

                                Message 15 of 25 , Aug 9, 2004
                                  Oh, I hope someone speaks up in defense of the Arthuriad overnight tonight.
                                  Or I will have to raise a fuss tomorrow.

                                  sleep tight,

                                  Lizzie

                                  Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                                  lizziewriter@...
                                  amor vincit omnia
                                • Stolzi
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Dec 1, 2004
                                    Thomas Howard has an online article on the "no. 3 Inkling":

                                    http://tinyurl.com/5jske

                                    or go to

                                    http://www.touchstonemag.com/archives/article.php?id=17-10-033-f

                                    There's a wonderful line in here

                                    ' Williams unfailingly leads us all on what George Eliot called "a severe
                                    mental scamper." '

                                    I'm including a copy to Wingfold because part-way down Howard reaches the
                                    question of GMD, Hell, and Heaven.

                                    Diamond Proudbrook
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Dec 1, 2004
                                      At 04:21 PM 12/1/2004 -0600, Stolzi wrote:

                                      >Thomas Howard has an online article on the "no. 3 Inkling":

                                      This is quite interesting, and entertaining. Howard is the Tom Shippey of
                                      Williams studies.

                                      On the difficulty of Williams's style, I cherish a review he wrote of
                                      Lewis's "Problem of Pain", which begins:

                                      "I shall not attempt to summarize here an already compact book. Mr.
                                      Lewis's prose is known, and those who know it would not thank me for
                                      translating it into mine."

                                      David Bratman
                                    • John Davis
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Feb 16, 2009
                                        Hi,

                                        (Not sure if this is off-topic of not - if so, many apologies...)

                                        Does anyone know of any other authors who write in a similar vein to Charles Williams? Aside from Lewis' 'Hideous Strength', I don't know of any, which makes coming to the end of the last two of Williams' books rather sad...

                                        John

                                      • Berni Phillips
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Feb 16, 2009
                                          You might enjoy the books of Tim Powers. His _Declare_ is the novel which
                                          most shows his Christianity. (He's a Catholic Christian.) All of his
                                          novels are good. Also James Blaylock's novels might be your cup of tea,
                                          particularly _The Paper Grail_.

                                          Berni

                                          > Does anyone know of any other authors who write in a similar vein to
                                          > Charles Williams? Aside from Lewis' 'Hideous Strength', I don't know of
                                          > any, which makes coming to the end of the last two of Williams' books
                                          > rather sad...
                                          >
                                          > John
                                        • John Davis
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Feb 17, 2009
                                            Hi Berni,

                                            Thanks for that - I'll give them a try.

                                            Although it is probably the non-Christian elements of Williams' books that most appeal to me, which is to say that they often seem more spiritual than Christian - the emphasis being on morality rather than church.

                                            John

                                            > Does anyone know of any other authors who write in a similar vein to
                                            > Charles Williams? Aside from Lewis' 'Hideous Strength', I don't know of
                                            > any, which makes coming to the end of the last two of Williams' books
                                            > rather sad...
                                            >
                                            > John

                                          • Jason Fisher
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Feb 17, 2009
                                              John,

                                              Try Gustav Meyrink's The Golem (1915). It's just one novel and so wouldn't tide you over much, I guess; but to me, it very much has a Charles Williams feel. It's kind of a spiritual horror set in the Jewish ghetto of Prague. Borges was a big fan of the novel, but it's been largely forgotten since.

                                              Jason

                                              ________________________________
                                              Although it is probably the non-Christian elements of Williams' books that most appeal to me, which is to say that they often seem more spiritual than Christian - the emphasis being on morality rather than church.

                                              John

                                              > Does anyone know of any other authors who write in a similar vein to
                                              > Charles Williams? Aside from Lewis' 'Hideous Strength', I don't know of
                                              > any, which makes coming to the end of the last two of Williams' books
                                              > rather sad...
                                              >
                                              > John

                                              Get the free SPAMfighter here: http://www.spamfigh ter.com/len

                                            • John D Rateliff
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Feb 17, 2009
                                                In that case, I'd suggest you go behind Williams and give Algernon
                                                Blackwood's JOHN SILENCE a try. And also Wm Yeats' "Rosa
                                                Alchemica" (most easily found, with two related tales, in MYTHOLOGIES
                                                [1959]). Some Arthur Machen stories also hover close to that territory.
                                                If it had been the supernatural suspense that hooked you, I'd
                                                have suggested Sax Rohmer.
                                                I don't think there's anybody who's quite like Williams, though.
                                                --John R.

                                                On Feb 17, 2009, at 1:22 AM, John Davis wrote:
                                                > Although it is probably the non-Christian elements of Williams'
                                                > books that most appeal to me, which is to say that they often seem
                                                > more spiritual than Christian - the emphasis being on morality
                                                > rather than church.
                                              • John Davis
                                                Message 23 of 25 , Feb 18, 2009
                                                  Thanks for everyone's suggestions. I'll give them all a try.

                                                  John