Re: [mythsoc] Charles Williams

  • Gwenyth Hood
    Message 1 of 25 , Feb 5, 2001
      This idea about people "literally bearing each other's burdens" is also in
      _All Hallows Eve_, by Charles Williams. Likewise it seems to appear in
      _Till We Have Faces_ by C. S. Lewis. I am not a Williams scholar and can't
      give a history of the concept as Williams develops it, but my impression is
      that he uses it quite a lot.

      --Gwenyth Hood
      Huntington, WV

      corneliaskitchen@... wrote:

      > I have long been a fan of Lewis and Tolkien, but I have only
      > recently been introduced to Charles Williams. I started with _The
      > Place of the Lion_, then _War in Heaven_ , and I just finished
      > _Descent into Hell_. His novels are unlike anything else I have
      > read before.
      >
      > I am particularly interested in his idea that people can, quite
      > literally, bear each other's burdens. (The Doctrine of Substituted
      > Love, Chapter 6 of _Descent into Hell_) I would like to know if
      > Charles Williams wrote about this idea elsewhere, and if earlier
      > or later writers have dealt with it also. (I seem to remember
      > reading that C.S. Lewis once took his wife's pain in this way...)
      >
      > Thanks in advance.
      >
      > Cornelia Penner
      > Montreal, Quebec, Canada

    • Ted Sherman
      Message 2 of 25 , Feb 5, 2001
        Get a copy of Williams's "The Image of the City and Other Essays," edited
        (if I remember correctly) by Anne Ridler. It contains an essay or two on
        Williams's notions of substitution, exchange, and coinherence. There're also
        numerous books on Williams's theology, though the titles escape me at the
        present.

        Ted

        corneliaskitchen@... wrote:

        > I have long been a fan of Lewis and Tolkien, but I have only
        > recently been introduced to Charles Williams. I started with _The
        > Place of the Lion_, then _War in Heaven_ , and I just finished
        > _Descent into Hell_. His novels are unlike anything else I have
        > read before.
        >
        > I am particularly interested in his idea that people can, quite
        > literally, bear each other's burdens. (The Doctrine of Substituted
        > Love, Chapter 6 of _Descent into Hell_) I would like to know if
        > Charles Williams wrote about this idea elsewhere, and if earlier
        > or later writers have dealt with it also. (I seem to remember
        > reading that C.S. Lewis once took his wife's pain in this way...)
        >
        > Thanks in advance.
        >
        > Cornelia Penner
        > Montreal, Quebec, Canada

        Dr. Theodore James Sherman, Editor
        Mythopoeic Literature
        Associate Professor of English
        Murfreesboro, TN 37132
        615 898-5836 Office
        615 898-5098 FAX
        tsherman@...
      • ERATRIANO@aol.com
        Message 3 of 25 , Feb 5, 2001
          In a message dated 02/05/2001 10:03:07 AM Eastern Standard Time,
          hood@... writes:

          << This idea about people "literally bearing each other's burdens" is also in
          _All Hallows Eve_, by Charles Williams. Likewise it seems to appear in
          _Till We Have Faces_ by C. S. Lewis. I am not a Williams scholar and can't
          give a history of the concept as Williams develops it, but my impression is
          that he uses it quite a lot. >>

          Some of this is pretty, what is the word? orthodox prayer stuff. Words may
          be failing me but the mechanism is familiar just from years of being an
          Episcopalian. Maybe I've just been lucky in the people and writings and use
          of the prayer book... anyway, some of the answers you are looking for may be
          tracked down through a seminarian or other, more religious, connection.

          Lizzie, inchoate as usual
        • David S. Bratman
          Message 4 of 25 , Feb 5, 2001
            At 07:20 AM 2/5/2001 , Ted Sherman wrote:

            >Get a copy of Williams's "The Image of the City and Other Essays," edited
            >(if I remember correctly) by Anne Ridler. It contains an essay or two on
            >Williams's notions of substitution, exchange, and coinherence. There're also
            >numerous books on Williams's theology, though the titles escape me at the
            >present.

            Here are some books on Williams's theology. (Look in a university library
            for these.)

            Cavaliero, Glen. _Charles Williams, Poet of Theology._ Eerdmans, 1983.

            Shideler, Mary McDermott. _The Theology of Romantic Love._ Harper, 1962.

            Weeks, Dennis L. _Steps Toward Salvation._ Lang, 1991.

            David Bratman
          • Grace E. Funk
            Message 5 of 25 , Feb 7, 2001
              To Cornelia Penner re Charles Williams' co-inherence. Someone will refer
              you to Lewis' biographies/ autobiographical writings. I suggest you
              discover the works of Elizabeth Gouge, and in particular "The Heart of
              the Family". There are several examples, as: "He did not know what he
              had given the child - the freedom from pain that he might have had in
              his last moments, perhaps, to give her lifelong freedom from some shape
              of fear which haunted her..." One of the characters sends his "peace" to
              another, and receives in return a burden of fatigue and fear and
              despair. Grace.

            • Croft, Janet B
              Message 6 of 25 , Feb 27, 2003
                Might it be worth nominating for our awards, even though we haven't seen it
                yet? I guess it's not likely to get to you before tomorrow's deadline.

                Janet

                Janet Brennan Croft
                Head of Access Services
                University of Oklahoma
                Bizzell Library NW104
                Norman OK 73019
                405-325-1918
                fax 405-325-7618
                jbcroft@...
                http://libraries.ou.edu/ <http://libraries.ou.edu/>
                <http://faculty-staff.ou.edu/C/Janet.B.Croft-1/>
                There are two kinds of people in this world: those who need closure

                  Message 8 of 25 , Feb 27, 2003
                    It's a 2003 book, so it wouldn't be eligible. By our 3-year eligibility
                    period for scholarship, it would be eligible in 2004-06, so don't worry
                    about missing the boat.

                    But remember, this is an Inklings scholarship award, so you'd be nominating
                    the book for the quality of Jared Lobdell's editing and supplementary
                    material, not for the value of having Williams's texts reprinted. The only
                    such books that have ever won the MFA are Doug Anderson's _Annotated
                    Hobbit_ and Christina Scull & Wayne Hammond's _Roverandom_, so our
                    standards for such work are pretty high. Digging out rare material,
                    dressing it up, and publishing it, are worthy acts, but perhaps one needs
                    to do more than that to deserve an MSA. (Mind you, I haven't seen the book
                    so I don't know how much Jared actually did.)

                    - David Bratman

                    Message 9 of 25 , Feb 27, 2003
                      D'oh -- right, it is a 2003 book and not eligible this year. Well, let's
                      hope it's a good job of editing for the sake of Williams scholarship, and
                      keep it in mind for next year, then, if Lobdell did substantial work on it..

                      Janet

                      It's a 2003 book, so it wouldn't be eligible. By our 3-year eligibility
                      period for scholarship, it would be eligible in 2004-06, so don't worry
                      about missing the boat.

                      But remember, this is an Inklings scholarship award, so you'd be nominating
                      the book for the quality of Jared Lobdell's editing and supplementary
                      material, not for the value of having Williams's texts reprinted. The only
                      such books that have ever won the MFA are Doug Anderson's _Annotated
                      Hobbit_ and Christina Scull & Wayne Hammond's _Roverandom_, so our
                      standards for such work are pretty high. Digging out rare material,
                      dressing it up, and publishing it, are worthy acts, but perhaps one needs
                      to do more than that to deserve an MSA. (Mind you, I haven't seen the book
                      so I don't know how much Jared actually did.)

                      - David Bratman

                      At 08:08 AM 2/27/2003 , Janet wrote:
                      >Might it be worth nominating for our awards, even though we haven't seen it
                      >yet? I guess it's not likely to get to you before tomorrow's deadline.

                      l/S=:HM/A=1430287/rand=680774983>

                      <http://www.mythsoc.org>

                      <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                    • pegasus48124
                      Message 10 of 25 , Aug 9, 2004
                        I've never had the pleasure of discovering the works of Charles
                        Williams. Can someone recommend a good starting point?
                        Mike Ethier (new member)
                      • dianejoy@earthlink.net
                        Message 11 of 25 , Aug 9, 2004
                          *The Place of the Lion* is probably the most accessible of his works,
                          though I also enjoyed *The Greater Trumps.* ---djb

                          I've never had the pleasure of discovering the works of Charles
                          Williams. Can someone recommend a good starting point?
                          Mike Ethier (new member)

                          Yahoo! Groups Links

                          http://mail2web.com/ .
                        • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                          Message 12 of 25 , Aug 9, 2004
                            I really, really loved his Arthurian poems. In my opinion, there is no
                            shame in reading them right along with a guide, say, CSLewis' essays that
                            are bound with them in the Erdman volume, or some other. It makes them
                            that much more real. The novels are good too, but I think the poems are
                            better, more creative genius really.

                            I thought the URL at amazon was too long, here is a title:

                            Taliessin through Logres [and] The region of the summer stars,
                            by Charles Williams
                            (out of print, Erdman's publisher)

                            There are several copies at abebooks, search under
                            Taliessin
                            for Taliessin through Logres

                            This is Grail/Arthurian stuff. The novels treat of various supernatural
                            and Christian themes. If you have a favorite theme you are hankering
                            after, you might like to pick a first that way (Tarot, etc.).

                            For general info about the poems, google
                            Charles Williams Arthuriad
                            and take your pick.

                            Lizzie

                            Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                            lizziewriter@...
                            amor vincit omnia
                          • Joan Marie Verba
                            Message 13 of 25 , Aug 9, 2004
                              Try The Masques of Amen House, available from the Mythopoeic Press at
                              www.mythsoc.com. (In the interest of full disclosure, I was part of the
                              team that published it. But I wouldn't have unless I thought it was a
                              worthwhile title.)

                              Joan
                              Joan Marie Verba
                              verba001@...
                            • Stolzi
                              Message 14 of 25 , Aug 9, 2004
                                For me, the most accessible of the novels is "War in Heaven."

                                The poetry is NOT a good starting point.

                                Diamond Proudbrook
                              • jamcconney@aol.com
                                Message 15 of 25 , Aug 9, 2004
                                  I agree with Diamond P. I started with War in Heaven and think it is the
                                  most accessible. My favorite is Descent into Hell (though I consider it
                                  structurally flawed) but it's probably not the one to start with (when you're ready
                                  for it, it will lift you right off the chair). Also like The Greater Trumps
                                  and All Hallows Eve, but never really got with The Place of the Lion.

                                  I rather imagine we're all going to be widely separated on our favorites
                                  (and un-favorites).

                                  Anne

                                • Mari Dole
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Aug 9, 2004
                                    Yes, I agree, and the first sentence is a classic.

                                    Mari

                                    Message 17 of 25 , Aug 9, 2004
                                      Oh, I hope someone speaks up in defense of the Arthuriad overnight tonight.
                                      Or I will have to raise a fuss tomorrow.

                                      sleep tight,

                                      Lizzie

                                      Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                                      lizziewriter@...
                                      amor vincit omnia
                                    • Stolzi
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Dec 1, 2004
                                        Thomas Howard has an online article on the "no. 3 Inkling":

                                        http://tinyurl.com/5jske

                                        or go to

                                        http://www.touchstonemag.com/archives/article.php?id=17-10-033-f

                                        There's a wonderful line in here

                                        ' Williams unfailingly leads us all on what George Eliot called "a severe
                                        mental scamper." '

                                        I'm including a copy to Wingfold because part-way down Howard reaches the
                                        question of GMD, Hell, and Heaven.

                                        Diamond Proudbrook
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Dec 1, 2004
                                          At 04:21 PM 12/1/2004 -0600, Stolzi wrote:

                                          >Thomas Howard has an online article on the "no. 3 Inkling":

                                          This is quite interesting, and entertaining. Howard is the Tom Shippey of
                                          Williams studies.

                                          On the difficulty of Williams's style, I cherish a review he wrote of
                                          Lewis's "Problem of Pain", which begins:

                                          "I shall not attempt to summarize here an already compact book. Mr.
                                          Lewis's prose is known, and those who know it would not thank me for
                                          translating it into mine."

                                          David Bratman
                                        • John Davis
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Feb 16, 2009
                                            Hi,

                                            (Not sure if this is off-topic of not - if so, many apologies...)

                                            Does anyone know of any other authors who write in a similar vein to Charles Williams? Aside from Lewis' 'Hideous Strength', I don't know of any, which makes coming to the end of the last two of Williams' books rather sad...

                                            John

                                          • Berni Phillips
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Feb 16, 2009
                                              You might enjoy the books of Tim Powers. His _Declare_ is the novel which
                                              most shows his Christianity. (He's a Catholic Christian.) All of his
                                              novels are good. Also James Blaylock's novels might be your cup of tea,
                                              particularly _The Paper Grail_.

                                              Berni

                                              > Does anyone know of any other authors who write in a similar vein to
                                              > Charles Williams? Aside from Lewis' 'Hideous Strength', I don't know of
                                              > any, which makes coming to the end of the last two of Williams' books
                                              > rather sad...
                                              >
                                              > John
                                            • John Davis
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Feb 17, 2009
                                                Hi Berni,

                                                Thanks for that - I'll give them a try.

                                                Although it is probably the non-Christian elements of Williams' books that most appeal to me, which is to say that they often seem more spiritual than Christian - the emphasis being on morality rather than church.

                                                John

                                                > Does anyone know of any other authors who write in a similar vein to
                                                > Charles Williams? Aside from Lewis' 'Hideous Strength', I don't know of
                                                > any, which makes coming to the end of the last two of Williams' books
                                                > rather sad...
                                                >
                                                > John

                                              • Jason Fisher
                                                Message 23 of 25 , Feb 17, 2009
                                                  John,

                                                  Try Gustav Meyrink's The Golem (1915). It's just one novel and so wouldn't tide you over much, I guess; but to me, it very much has a Charles Williams feel. It's kind of a spiritual horror set in the Jewish ghetto of Prague. Borges was a big fan of the novel, but it's been largely forgotten since.

                                                  Jason

                                                  ________________________________
                                                  Although it is probably the non-Christian elements of Williams' books that most appeal to me, which is to say that they often seem more spiritual than Christian - the emphasis being on morality rather than church.

                                                  John

                                                  > Does anyone know of any other authors who write in a similar vein to
                                                  > Charles Williams? Aside from Lewis' 'Hideous Strength', I don't know of
                                                  > any, which makes coming to the end of the last two of Williams' books
                                                  > rather sad...
                                                  >
                                                  > John

                                                  Get the free SPAMfighter here: http://www.spamfigh ter.com/len

                                                • John D Rateliff
                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Feb 17, 2009
                                                    In that case, I'd suggest you go behind Williams and give Algernon
                                                    Blackwood's JOHN SILENCE a try. And also Wm Yeats' "Rosa
                                                    Alchemica" (most easily found, with two related tales, in MYTHOLOGIES
                                                    [1959]). Some Arthur Machen stories also hover close to that territory.
                                                    If it had been the supernatural suspense that hooked you, I'd
                                                    have suggested Sax Rohmer.
                                                    I don't think there's anybody who's quite like Williams, though.
                                                    --John R.

                                                    On Feb 17, 2009, at 1:22 AM, John Davis wrote:
                                                    > Although it is probably the non-Christian elements of Williams'
                                                    > books that most appeal to me, which is to say that they often seem
                                                    > more spiritual than Christian - the emphasis being on morality
                                                    > rather than church.
                                                  • John Davis
                                                    Message 25 of 25 , Feb 18, 2009
                                                      Thanks for everyone's suggestions. I'll give them all a try.

                                                      John