Re: [mythsoc] Re: Novelists influenced by C. S. Lewis

  • ERATRIANO@aol.com
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 5, 2001
      In a message dated 02/05/2001 5:07:52 AM Eastern Standard Time,
      donmcmaster@... writes:

      << No project, just admiration for Lewis's writing and interest in finding
      out about his more nearly direct literary "descendants," if he has any. >>

      Raise your hand if you've been spending years scribbling and aspiring to just
      that career... lol.

      Lizzie
    • Stolzi@aol.com
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 5, 2001
        donmcmaster@... writes:

        > I want authors (if they exist) who take Lewis as
        > a literary mentor in content at least as much as in style, and who try
        > to write books that Lewis would have liked in both respects.

        Well, kiddie books or no, I conclude that you should certainly take a look at
        L'Engle's WRINKLE IN TIME series.

        Mary S
      • alexeik@aol.com
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 5, 2001
          In a message dated 2/5/1 6:45:40 AM, Wendell wrote:

          <<In a message dated 2/4/01 9:39:18 PM Eastern Standard Time, alexeik@...
          writes:

          > That's odd, I've always thought the influence [of Lewis on
          > Gene Wolfe] was pretty glaring.

          I defer to your superior knowledge of Wolfe. To be honest, I was going by
          the few short stories I've read and the plot descriptions of the novels I've
          heard. Clearly you know much more of Wolfe than I do. I did once have an
          interesting discussion with Wolfe at a con about _The Dark Tower_.

          Not *all* of Wolfe's abundant output is obviously Lewis-influenced, but the
          big fantasy novel-cycles ("New Sun", "Long Sun", "Short Sun") certainly are.
          Like Lewis' s Ransom trilogy, they're theological fantasies expressing
          orthodox Christian concepts in startlingly unconventional ways. They don't
          *imitate* Lewis closely in matters of style or imagery, but it would be hard
          to imagine them being written without Lewis as a basic model.
          Alexei
        • jen stevens
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 5, 2001
            Don,

            Not to contradict your point of view, but while I agree that Philip Pullman
            isn't a "descendent" of Lewis, I do think that it can be _very_ interesting
            to look at people that reacted to or against other writers. Sort of the
            "anxiety of influence" thing.

            (of course, I also just like Pullman :)

            - Jen Stevens

            ps John White is one of many writers that admits to having been _very_
            influenced by Lewis (ok, more than influenced!). His very different
            treatment of the Spenser image of Goldcoffin's chamber is rather
            interesting....

          • wyspergrove@netscape.net
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 6, 2001
              <<No project, just admiration for Lewis's writing and interest in finding
              out about his more nearly direct literary "descendants," if he has any.

              Raise your hand if you've been spending years scribbling and aspiring to just
              that career... lol.>>

              :raises hand and looks shyly at her feet:

              -Kat