Re: 1998 Fantasy Books

  • Matthew Winslow
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 6, 1998
      On Mon, 7 Dec 1998, Eleanor Farrell wrote:

      > I'll start with Patricia A. McKillip's new book, _Song for the Basilisk_,
      > which is one of the best novels I've read recently. If you read and like
      > McKillip, this book fits nicely into her usual elegant style and succinct
      > story plotting. But although a short book (a compliment!! I mean compared
      > with these endless bookend series...), it has the breadth of her earlier
      > classics like _The Forgotten Beasts of Eld_ and the Riddle-master trilogy,
      > in that the world is a bit wider than the author usually creates and the
      > events somewhat broader. I think it's the best book McKillip has written in
      > many years.
      >
      > OK, guys, how about you? Plug your favorites!

      I haven't read it yet, but the McKillip is definitely going on my
      nomination list. (My in-laws bought me a copy for Christmas when they
      were visiting in September and my tyrannical wife is making me wait till
      *then* to open it.)

      I just got done reading RE Klein's "The History of Our World Beyond the
      Wave" and it's going on my nomination list. This book hasn't gotten much
      press, but I think it fits the criterion of being in the tradition of the
      Inklings. (Ellie, I'm going to do a short review of it as soon as I get a
      chance.)

      Overall, though, this felt like a slim year for nomination-worthy titles.
      I culled this year's "Locus" and came up with only about 10 possibilities
      -- and three of those were by one author (Sean Stewart). Did this feel
      like a thin yeart to others?

      I just received the latest issue of Locus with the forthcoming books list,
      and next year looks to be thin also. There's a new Gaiman or two, but
      that's about all that stands out in my mind.

      Matthew Winslow mwinslow@...
      members.theglobe.com
      "There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading
      them." - Joseph Brodsky
    • Matthew Winslow
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 7, 1998
        On Mon, 7 Dec 1998, David Lenander wrote:

        > Has any other current fantasy genre writer been more consistently good?

        At times I think we should just make McKillip the default winner. <g>

        Seriously, though, I've put a bit of thought into this whole McKillip
        thing because my wife is *not* a McKillip fan. I started reading The Book
        of Atrix Wolfe to her and she stopped me after about three chapters. We
        made it through Forgotten Beasts of Eld and I thought it was wonderful and
        she thought it was "OK". I think McKillip is so enjoyable to me because of
        <cliche warning> the wonderful lyricalness of her writing. She and Beagle
        both use the cliches of the genre, but make those cliches seem new and
        beautiful -- like that cereal commercial, "discovering them again for the
        very first time."

        As to consistent authors, Crowley gets better in my eyes, but he is just
        right on the edge of fantasy -- especially with the Aegypt tetralogy. I
        could see nominating Little, Big were I in the Society back then. (Sorry,
        I'm only 28, so I was, um, 12 when it came out), but even though I think
        the Aegypt tetralogy is excellent, it'll probably never get nominated by
        me.

        > Pam Dean's Rosemary & Juniper book won't make my final list, though I enjoyed
        > reading it.

        Could you elaborate on what you liked about it? I made it through, but my
        feelings were in line with what Berni felt -- Dean's representation of
        adolescents was waaaay to unreal to be believable at all. It worked in Tam
        Lin (barely), but not here.

        Matthew Winslow mwinslow@...
        http://members.theglobe.com/mithlond
        "There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading
        them." - Joseph Brodsky
      • David Lenander
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 7, 1998
          Responding to the message of
          <Pine.LNX.3.96.981207013937.31726D-100000@...>
          from mythsoc@onelist.com:

          > From: Matthew Winslow <mwinslow@...>
          . . .
          > I just received the latest issue of Locus with the forthcoming books list,
          > and next year looks to be thin also. There's a new Gaiman or two, but
          > that's about all that stands out in my mind.

          Well, the new Gaiman collection (out last month) is looking very fine. I've
          only read the first few stories, but I'd put it on at least the preliminary
          nominations. I'd say it's superior to the novel from last year.

          As to "best in years" for the new McKillip, (which people keep saying about
          every new McKillip), I don't know how she can keep getting better towards some
          previous hight point year unless there's been a decline. I don't think that
          there ever was. It is true that no single book has haunted me or impressed me
          (more in retrospect and rereading than on first reading) more than FORGOTTEN
          BEASTS, which I DID vote for when it was a finalist for the MFA in the 70s, but
          I am not sure that WINTER ROSE or STEPPING FROM THE SHADOWS or really any of her
          books have represented to me a falling off in her abilities and talents. She's
          writing different books, and a few (MOON & THE FACE, perhaps) haven't impressed
          me greatly, but I am not sure this is because the books were any less worthy.
          In many respects WINTER ROSE is as fine a book as she has done. The success of
          FORGOTTEN BEASTS was partly because she attempted less. McKillip has grown
          considerably as a writer, and she attempts things that are sometimes beyond
          ??her strengths? But they are perhaps beyond any writer's strengths. Or maybe
          she's simply passed beyond the ken of this reader, maybe permanently, or perhaps
          in time I might come to understand what she's done. Any new book from her
          probably belongs almost automatically on at least the preliminary list. Has any
          other current fantasy genre writer been more consistently good?

          On the children's list, I'm interested in reading THE KEY TO THE INDIAN, it will
          be interesting to see if Banks can dig herself out of the hole she tumbled into:
          this looks to be some form of apology or attempt to redeem the problems of her
          earlier book(s) with handling Native American Indian material. Her last book,
          the Mystery of the Cupboard was her best book so far, but she largely avoided
          the Amerindian difficulties by retreating to Victorian/Edwardian England.

          Pam Dean's Rosemary & Juniper book won't make my final list, though I enjoyed
          reading it.

          David Lenander, Library Manager I
          Bio-Medical Library Access Services work: (612)626-3375
          Circulation, Core Collections & Reserve Desks home: (651)292-8887
          Diehl Hall/505 Essex SE fax: (612)626-2454
          University of Minnesota
          Minneapolis, Minnesota 55455

          e-mail: d-lena@...
          web-page: http://www.tc.umn.edu/nlhome/m391/d-lena/BirdnBab.html
        • Matthew Winslow
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 10, 1998
            On Fri, 11 Dec 1998, Eleanor Farrell wrote:

            > Matt,
            >
            > I see (or make!) this comment every year.... but always find at least a
            > couple of gems on the fantasy shelves. So, don't despair! One reason for

            Oh, not despair for the award or anything <g>, just despair on finding
            more than a few for the nomination list.

            > _To Say Nothing of the Dog_ by Connie Willis

            I loved this book (and Willis in general), but it just didn't feel like a
            book "written in the spirit of the Inklings" (or whatever the phrase is).
            _Darwinia_, though, felt a lot like it to me -- even though it is
            technically science fiction.

            Has anyone read -- or even been able to find a copy of -- Joe Lansdale's
            _The Boar_? It sounds like a good book, but it's from a small publisher
            and is well over $25 -- and it's only about 130 pages or so. I'd love to
            put it on the nomination list, but I'd feel bad if it were one of those
            books no one could find.

            Matthew Winslow mwinslow@...
            http://www.firinn.org/~mwinslow/
            "There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading
            them." - Joseph Brodsky
          • Eleanor Farrell
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 11, 1998
              David Lenander wrote:

              On the children's list, I'm interested in reading THE KEY TO THE INDIAN, it
              will
              be interesting to see if Banks can dig herself out of the hole she tumbled
              into:
              this looks to be some form of apology or attempt to redeem the problems of her
              earlier book(s) with handling Native American Indian material. Her last book,
              the Mystery of the Cupboard was her best book so far, but she largely avoided
              the Amerindian difficulties by retreating to Victorian/Edwardian England.

              David, your comments are intriguing, how about more info here for those of
              us who don't know who "Banks" is or know anything about her books?

              Thanks,

              Ellie

              *
              Eleanor M. Farrell
              P.O. Box 320486
              San Francisco, CA 94132-0486
              E-mail: emfarrell@...

              Editor, Mythprint (Mythopoeic Society newsletter)
              *
            • Eleanor Farrell
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 11, 1998

                ------
                Matt,

                I see (or make!) this comment every year.... but always find at least a
                couple of gems on the fantasy shelves. So, don't despair! One reason for
                encouraging as many people as possible to nominate books is that we're more
                likely not to overlook something obscure and maybe wonderful.... I haven't
                yet seen the Locus "best of" list (hmm, I guess it's not out yet, but is
                always a good place to check! Might be the February issue...) but offhand I
                can think of at least a handful of books (which I have read) worth
                nominating:

                _Song for the Basilisk_ by Patricia A. McKillip
                _To Say Nothing of the Dog_ by Connie Willis
                _Stardust_ by Neil Gaiman and Charles Vess

                And now, thanks to Trish and Joe and yourself and others, I have more of
                these to check out in the next few months!

                Ellie

                *

                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 11, 1998
                  Responding to the message
                  from Eleanor Farrell <emfarrell@...>

                  > David, your comments are intriguing, how about more info here for those of
                  > us who don't know who "Banks" is or know anything about her books?

                  Lynne Reid Banks has written a number of children's books, including a number of
                  fantasies. Far and away her most popular and commercially successful is the
                  series beginning with *The Indian in the Cupboard*. The sequels include:
                  *Return of the Indian* *Secret of the Indian* and *Mystery of the Cupboard* and
                  the new *Key to the Indian*. She's been criticized as misusing the Native
                  American material that she employed as background for the character Little Bear.
                  I think that the first book was written rather thoughtlessly regarding this, so
                  Little Bear speaks in a sort of "Movie Injun" broken English, but clearly she's
                  been trying to improve things, since. The new book is apparently focusing much
                  more directly on Little Bear, so my guess is that she's trying to "make up" for
                  the first book. Rather as P.L. Travers rewrote portions of one of the Mary
                  Poppins books to address a supposedly racist portrayal of an African family.
                  Indian in the Cupboard was made into a major film a couple of years ago, though
                  I seem to recall that it incorporated elements from the second book, too. Aside
                  from the criticism that the books include insensitive portrayals of Native
                  American Indians, the books are in many respects very well written, and have
                  been much praised and become quite popular. Lois Kuznets discussed at least the
                  first in her MSA-award book *When Toys Come Alive*.

                  To be honest, I've not read the first book (But I saw the MOVIE!), but I have
                  read the three sequels and have been very impressed with the increasingly
                  interesting things that Banks has done in these books, especially with
                  *Mystery*, where she develops the rudimentary idea of the magical key and
                  cupboard in logical but previously unexpected ways, and experiments with Telling
                  the Grown-ups the Truth about the magic, which seems odd in the 4th book of a
                  series that hadn't previously done this. On the other hand, I think that I
                  found *Mystery* easier to like partly because she was avoiding the "Little Bear"
                  material, which has always made me uneasy.

                  Incidentally, we do not have a dearth of books to consider on the children's
                  side. Laura forwarded a list of--I don't know, more than 100, I think-- in the
                  Once UPon a Time that came yesterday. Well known authors with new books include
                  Banks, T.A. Barron, Nina Bawden, Francesca Lia Block, Bruce Coville, Jane Louise
                  Curry (anyone heard from her in a while?), Roald Dahl, Kara Dalkey, Pamela Dean
                  (Juniper, etc. as a Y.A.?), Cynthia DeFelice, Peter Dickinson (!), Martin
                  Gardner, Alan Garner (!!), Brian Jacques, Diana Wynne Jones, Ellen Kindt
                  McKenzie, Robin McKinley, Gregory Maguire, Margaret Mahy (!), Donna Jo Napoli,
                  Phyllis Reynolds Naylor, Gary Paulsen, Tamora Pierce, Daniel Pinkwater (!),
                  Philip Pullman, Cynthia Rylant, Jon Scieszka, William Sleator, Sherwood Smith,
                  Nancy Springer, J.R.R. Tolkien (!), Vivian Vande Velde, Jane Yolen and Paul
                  Zindell. These are just the ones that ring a bell with me. A book getting a
                  LOT of attention will be J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone*,
                  and I've seen very positive comments about Michael Cadnum's *In a Dark Wood*,
                  though Ellie doesn't seem to have thought too much of it, in the latest
                  MYTHPRINT. 3 I've read from Laura's list: Elizabeth Cody Kimmel's *In the
                  Stone Circle* (historical time travel/ghosts in Wales), Ellen Kindt McKenzie's
                  *Golden Band of Eddris* and Eva Ibbotson's *Secret of Platform 13* probably
                  won't make my final ballot, though I guess I can't rule out the McKenzie at this
                  point. Laura hasn't read all of these, either. But she does focus on the
                  Dalkey, Jones, Virginia Layefsky, Napoli, Rowling and Springer books as
                  especially worth looking at. And her review of Rylant's book in the same issue
                  made me wonder why she'd left it off this short list, it sounds very
                  interesting.

                  Laura's also promised us a second list of more picture books. I hope to post
                  her list on the Once UPon a TIme web-site, but I'm not sure how soon.