Re: [mythsoc] Re: Novelists influenced by C. S. Lewis

    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 4, 2001
      In a message dated 2/4/01 9:39:18 PM Eastern Standard Time, alexeik@...
      writes:

      > That's odd, I've always thought the influence [of Lewis on
      > Gene Wolfe] was pretty glaring.

      I defer to your superior knowledge of Wolfe. To be honest, I was going by
      the few short stories I've read and the plot descriptions of the novels I've
      heard. Clearly you know much more of Wolfe than I do. I did once have an
      interesting discussion with Wolfe at a con about _The Dark Tower_.

      David S. Bratman (in a post that everyone except me seems to have received)
      writes:

      > It all boils down to, what does Don actually want? Books
      > whose authors were inspired by Lewis? If so, inspired in
      > what way? Books that Lewis would have liked? Books
      > that resemble Lewis's? If so, resemble in what way?
      > Content? Spiritual depth? Style? Quality? None of
      > these lists will be the same.

      There have been a number of books (or series of books) that were published
      mostly by Christian publishing houses and sold mostly in Christian bookstores
      which were inferior imitations of _The Chronicles of Narnia_. My impression
      is that the vogue for these books is past now. It peaked in the early '80's.
      (In fact, as I wrote on this list a while ago, I wonder if the vogue for
      Lewis at Christian bookstores is past now.) It would take me a while to come
      up with the names of some of them. In a clear sense, they were influenced by
      Lewis. In an even clearer sense, it's not much of a complement to Lewis to
      say that these books were influenced by him.

      Wendell Wagner
    • donmcmaster@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 5, 2001
        --- In mythsoc@y..., Ted Sherman <tedsherman@h...> wrote:
        > Don,
        >
        > May I ask why you want such a list? That is, is this for personal
        > development and illumination? Is this research for a project?

        Ted,

        No project, just admiration for Lewis's writing and interest in
        finding out about his more nearly direct literary "descendants," if he
        has any.

        Don McMaster
      • ERATRIANO@aol.com
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 5, 2001
          In a message dated 02/05/2001 5:07:52 AM Eastern Standard Time,
          donmcmaster@... writes:

          << No project, just admiration for Lewis's writing and interest in finding
          out about his more nearly direct literary "descendants," if he has any. >>

          Raise your hand if you've been spending years scribbling and aspiring to just
          that career... lol.

          Lizzie
        • Stolzi@aol.com
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 5, 2001
            donmcmaster@... writes:

            > I want authors (if they exist) who take Lewis as
            > a literary mentor in content at least as much as in style, and who try
            > to write books that Lewis would have liked in both respects.

            Well, kiddie books or no, I conclude that you should certainly take a look at
            L'Engle's WRINKLE IN TIME series.

            Mary S
          • alexeik@aol.com
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 5, 2001

              writes:

              > That's odd, I've always thought the influence [of Lewis on
              > Gene Wolfe] was pretty glaring.

              I defer to your superior knowledge of Wolfe. To be honest, I was going by
              the few short stories I've read and the plot descriptions of the novels I've
              heard. Clearly you know much more of Wolfe than I do. I did once have an
              interesting discussion with Wolfe at a con about _The Dark Tower_.

              Not *all* of Wolfe's abundant output is obviously Lewis-influenced, but the
              big fantasy novel-cycles ("New Sun", "Long Sun", "Short Sun") certainly are.
              Like Lewis' s Ransom trilogy, they're theological fantasies expressing
              orthodox Christian concepts in startlingly unconventional ways. They don't
              *imitate* Lewis closely in matters of style or imagery, but it would be hard
              to imagine them being written without Lewis as a basic model.
              Alexei
            • jen stevens
              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 5, 2001
                Don,

                Not to contradict your point of view, but while I agree that Philip Pullman
                isn't a "descendent" of Lewis, I do think that it can be _very_ interesting
                to look at people that reacted to or against other writers. Sort of the
                "anxiety of influence" thing.

                (of course, I also just like Pullman :)

                - Jen Stevens

                ps John White is one of many writers that admits to having been _very_
                influenced by Lewis (ok, more than influenced!). His very different
                treatment of the Spenser image of Goldcoffin's chamber is rather
                interesting....

              • wyspergrove@netscape.net
                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 6, 2001
                  <<No project, just admiration for Lewis's writing and interest in finding
                  out about his more nearly direct literary "descendants," if he has any.

                  Raise your hand if you've been spending years scribbling and aspiring to just
                  that career... lol.>>

                  :raises hand and looks shyly at her feet:

                  -Kat