Re: Re: [mythsoc] Re: Novelists influenced by C. S. Lewis

  • alexeik@aol.com
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 4, 2001
      In a message dated 2/4/1 8:43:02 PM, Wendell wrote:

      <<Gene Wolfe says he's been influenced by C. S. Lewis. I don't think most of
      us would see any clear resemblence there.

      That's odd, I've always thought the influence was pretty glaring.
      Alexei
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 4, 2001
        In a message dated 2/4/01 9:39:18 PM Eastern Standard Time, alexeik@...
        writes:

        > That's odd, I've always thought the influence [of Lewis on
        > Gene Wolfe] was pretty glaring.

        I defer to your superior knowledge of Wolfe. To be honest, I was going by
        the few short stories I've read and the plot descriptions of the novels I've
        heard. Clearly you know much more of Wolfe than I do. I did once have an
        interesting discussion with Wolfe at a con about _The Dark Tower_.

        David S. Bratman (in a post that everyone except me seems to have received)
        writes:

        > It all boils down to, what does Don actually want? Books
        > whose authors were inspired by Lewis? If so, inspired in
        > what way? Books that Lewis would have liked? Books
        > that resemble Lewis's? If so, resemble in what way?
        > Content? Spiritual depth? Style? Quality? None of
        > these lists will be the same.

        There have been a number of books (or series of books) that were published
        mostly by Christian publishing houses and sold mostly in Christian bookstores
        which were inferior imitations of _The Chronicles of Narnia_. My impression
        is that the vogue for these books is past now. It peaked in the early '80's.
        (In fact, as I wrote on this list a while ago, I wonder if the vogue for
        Lewis at Christian bookstores is past now.) It would take me a while to come
        up with the names of some of them. In a clear sense, they were influenced by
        Lewis. In an even clearer sense, it's not much of a complement to Lewis to
        say that these books were influenced by him.

        Wendell Wagner
      • donmcmaster@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 5, 2001
          --- In mythsoc@y..., Ted Sherman <tedsherman@h...> wrote:
          > Don,
          >
          > May I ask why you want such a list? That is, is this for personal
          > development and illumination? Is this research for a project?

          Ted,

          No project, just admiration for Lewis's writing and interest in
          finding out about his more nearly direct literary "descendants," if he
          has any.

          Don McMaster
        • ERATRIANO@aol.com
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 5, 2001
            In a message dated 02/05/2001 5:07:52 AM Eastern Standard Time,
            donmcmaster@... writes:

            << No project, just admiration for Lewis's writing and interest in finding
            out about his more nearly direct literary "descendants," if he has any. >>

            Raise your hand if you've been spending years scribbling and aspiring to just
            that career... lol.

            Lizzie
          • Stolzi@aol.com
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 5, 2001
              donmcmaster@... writes:

              > I want authors (if they exist) who take Lewis as
              > a literary mentor in content at least as much as in style, and who try
              > to write books that Lewis would have liked in both respects.

              Well, kiddie books or no, I conclude that you should certainly take a look at
              L'Engle's WRINKLE IN TIME series.

              Mary S
            • alexeik@aol.com
              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 5, 2001

                writes:

                > That's odd, I've always thought the influence [of Lewis on
                > Gene Wolfe] was pretty glaring.

                I defer to your superior knowledge of Wolfe. To be honest, I was going by
                the few short stories I've read and the plot descriptions of the novels I've
                heard. Clearly you know much more of Wolfe than I do. I did once have an
                interesting discussion with Wolfe at a con about _The Dark Tower_.

                Not *all* of Wolfe's abundant output is obviously Lewis-influenced, but the
                big fantasy novel-cycles ("New Sun", "Long Sun", "Short Sun") certainly are.
                Like Lewis' s Ransom trilogy, they're theological fantasies expressing
                orthodox Christian concepts in startlingly unconventional ways. They don't
                *imitate* Lewis closely in matters of style or imagery, but it would be hard
                to imagine them being written without Lewis as a basic model.
                Alexei
              • jen stevens
                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 5, 2001
                  Don,

                  Not to contradict your point of view, but while I agree that Philip Pullman
                  isn't a "descendent" of Lewis, I do think that it can be _very_ interesting
                  to look at people that reacted to or against other writers. Sort of the
                  "anxiety of influence" thing.

                  (of course, I also just like Pullman :)

                  - Jen Stevens

                  ps John White is one of many writers that admits to having been _very_
                  influenced by Lewis (ok, more than influenced!). His very different
                  treatment of the Spenser image of Goldcoffin's chamber is rather
                  interesting....

                • wyspergrove@netscape.net
                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 6, 2001
                    <<No project, just admiration for Lewis's writing and interest in finding
                    out about his more nearly direct literary "descendants," if he has any.

                    Raise your hand if you've been spending years scribbling and aspiring to just
                    that career... lol.>>

                    :raises hand and looks shyly at her feet:

                    -Kat