Re: Novelists influenced by C. S. Lewis

  • donmcmaster@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 4, 2001
      Let me see, what do I want? I'll try eliminating what I *don't* want
      and see what's left. First of all, I'm pretty sure I don't want
      Philip Pullman--I say now that I've learned something about him and
      his books! I don't want any other authors who like Lewis's style but
      hate his content, either. I don't want authors who were somehow
      "inspired" by Lewis to write books with content that Lewis probably
      wouldn't have liked, even if their books may be thought to have a lot
      of spiritual depth. I want authors (if they exist) who take Lewis as
      a literary mentor in content at least as much as in style, and who try
      to write books that Lewis would have liked in both respects. (No
      doubt I don't want them if they try but fail abysmally; on the other
      hand, I couldn't reasonably demand that the quality of their writing
      should equal the excellence of Lewis's own!)

      Don McMaster

      > It all boils down to, what does Don actually want? Books whose
      authors were inspired by Lewis? If so, inspired in what way? Books
      that Lewis would have liked? Books that resemble Lewis's? If so,
      resemble in what way? Content? Spiritual depth? Style? Quality?
      None of these lists will be the same.
    • Ted Sherman
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 4, 2001
        Don,

        May I ask why you want such a list? That is, is this for personal
        development and illumination? Is this research for a project?

        Ted

        donmcmaster@... wrote:

        > Let me see, what do I want? I'll try eliminating what I *don't* want
        > and see what's left. First of all, I'm pretty sure I don't want
        > Philip Pullman--I say now that I've learned something about him and
        > his books! I don't want any other authors who like Lewis's style but
        > hate his content, either. I don't want authors who were somehow
        > "inspired" by Lewis to write books with content that Lewis probably
        > wouldn't have liked, even if their books may be thought to have a lot
        > of spiritual depth. I want authors (if they exist) who take Lewis as
        > a literary mentor in content at least as much as in style, and who try
        > to write books that Lewis would have liked in both respects. (No
        > doubt I don't want them if they try but fail abysmally; on the other
        > hand, I couldn't reasonably demand that the quality of their writing
        > should equal the excellence of Lewis's own!)
        >
        > Don McMaster
        >
        > --- In mythsoc@y..., "David S. Bratman" <dbratman@s...> wrote:
        >
        > > It all boils down to, what does Don actually want? Books whose
        > authors were inspired by Lewis? If so, inspired in what way? Books
        > that Lewis would have liked? Books that resemble Lewis's? If so,
        > resemble in what way? Content? Spiritual depth? Style? Quality?
        > None of these lists will be the same.

        Dr. Theodore James Sherman, Editor
        Mythopoeic Literature
        Associate Professor of English
        Murfreesboro, TN 37132
        615 898-5836 Office
        615 898-5098 FAX
        tsherman@...
      • alexeik@aol.com
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 4, 2001
          In a message dated 2/4/1 8:43:02 PM, Wendell wrote:

          <<Gene Wolfe says he's been influenced by C. S. Lewis. I don't think most of
          us would see any clear resemblence there.

          That's odd, I've always thought the influence was pretty glaring.
          Alexei
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 4, 2001
            In a message dated 2/4/01 9:39:18 PM Eastern Standard Time, alexeik@...
            writes:

            > That's odd, I've always thought the influence [of Lewis on
            > Gene Wolfe] was pretty glaring.

            I defer to your superior knowledge of Wolfe. To be honest, I was going by
            the few short stories I've read and the plot descriptions of the novels I've
            heard. Clearly you know much more of Wolfe than I do. I did once have an
            interesting discussion with Wolfe at a con about _The Dark Tower_.

            David S. Bratman (in a post that everyone except me seems to have received)
            writes:

            > It all boils down to, what does Don actually want? Books
            > whose authors were inspired by Lewis? If so, inspired in
            > what way? Books that Lewis would have liked? Books
            > that resemble Lewis's? If so, resemble in what way?
            > Content? Spiritual depth? Style? Quality? None of
            > these lists will be the same.

            There have been a number of books (or series of books) that were published
            mostly by Christian publishing houses and sold mostly in Christian bookstores
            which were inferior imitations of _The Chronicles of Narnia_. My impression
            is that the vogue for these books is past now. It peaked in the early '80's.
            (In fact, as I wrote on this list a while ago, I wonder if the vogue for
            Lewis at Christian bookstores is past now.) It would take me a while to come
            up with the names of some of them. In a clear sense, they were influenced by
            Lewis. In an even clearer sense, it's not much of a complement to Lewis to
            say that these books were influenced by him.

            Wendell Wagner
          • donmcmaster@yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 5, 2001
              --- In mythsoc@y..., Ted Sherman <tedsherman@h...> wrote:
              > Don,
              >
              > May I ask why you want such a list? That is, is this for personal
              > development and illumination? Is this research for a project?

              Ted,

              No project, just admiration for Lewis's writing and interest in
              finding out about his more nearly direct literary "descendants," if he
              has any.

              Don McMaster
            • ERATRIANO@aol.com
              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 5, 2001
                In a message dated 02/05/2001 5:07:52 AM Eastern Standard Time,
                donmcmaster@... writes:

                << No project, just admiration for Lewis's writing and interest in finding
                out about his more nearly direct literary "descendants," if he has any. >>

                Raise your hand if you've been spending years scribbling and aspiring to just
                that career... lol.

                Lizzie
              • Stolzi@aol.com
                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 5, 2001
                  donmcmaster@... writes:

                  > I want authors (if they exist) who take Lewis as
                  > a literary mentor in content at least as much as in style, and who try
                  > to write books that Lewis would have liked in both respects.

                  Well, kiddie books or no, I conclude that you should certainly take a look at
                  L'Engle's WRINKLE IN TIME series.

                  Mary S
                • alexeik@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 5, 2001

                    writes:

                    > That's odd, I've always thought the influence [of Lewis on
                    > Gene Wolfe] was pretty glaring.

                    I defer to your superior knowledge of Wolfe. To be honest, I was going by
                    the few short stories I've read and the plot descriptions of the novels I've
                    heard. Clearly you know much more of Wolfe than I do. I did once have an
                    interesting discussion with Wolfe at a con about _The Dark Tower_.

                    Not *all* of Wolfe's abundant output is obviously Lewis-influenced, but the
                    big fantasy novel-cycles ("New Sun", "Long Sun", "Short Sun") certainly are.
                    Like Lewis' s Ransom trilogy, they're theological fantasies expressing
                    orthodox Christian concepts in startlingly unconventional ways. They don't
                    *imitate* Lewis closely in matters of style or imagery, but it would be hard
                    to imagine them being written without Lewis as a basic model.
                    Alexei
                  • jen stevens
                    Message 9 of 16 , Feb 5, 2001
                      Don,

                      Not to contradict your point of view, but while I agree that Philip Pullman
                      isn't a "descendent" of Lewis, I do think that it can be _very_ interesting
                      to look at people that reacted to or against other writers. Sort of the
                      "anxiety of influence" thing.

                      (of course, I also just like Pullman :)

                      - Jen Stevens

                      ps John White is one of many writers that admits to having been _very_
                      influenced by Lewis (ok, more than influenced!). His very different
                      treatment of the Spenser image of Goldcoffin's chamber is rather
                      interesting....

                    • wyspergrove@netscape.net
                      Message 10 of 16 , Feb 6, 2001
                        <<No project, just admiration for Lewis's writing and interest in finding
                        out about his more nearly direct literary "descendants," if he has any.

                        Raise your hand if you've been spending years scribbling and aspiring to just
                        that career... lol.>>

                        :raises hand and looks shyly at her feet:

                        -Kat