JACKSON WANTS RINGS REALITY

  • Joan Marie Verba
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 3, 2001
      JACKSON WANTS RINGS REALITY

      Peter Jackson, director of the upcoming Lord of the Rings film trilogy,
      told
      E! Online that he faces a year's worth of post-production now that
      principal
      photography has wrapped. The challenge is to keep things real and faithful
      to J.R.R. Tolkien's original books, he said. "The one thing I've always
      been
      consistently going for in the style of the shooting and the performances
      and
      the design is to make Middle-Earth feel real and lived-in," Jackson told
      the
      site. "And whether it's an elf or a dwarf or a hobbit or a human, I think
      it's important for us to convey that the character is real and exists at a
      particular moment in time."

      Conveying the reality of the films means pushing the envelope in terms of
      violence, Jackson said. "It's going to be PG-13. Again, it's part of making
      it real. The material we've shot would easily give us an R-rated movie if
      we
      chose to cut it that way. We haven't shot anything that is disturbing or
      horrific or nasty. We're just trying to depict battles realistically. But
      we'll be very circumspect with how we edit the material. We're aiming for
      the tougher end of a PG-13--we'll try and push the envelope a little bit."

      Jackson added, "Real life is quite complex--nothing is ever black and
      white.
      And even though we are dealing with good and evil in a very clear-cut way,
      as Tolkien wrote, we're trying to capture some of the story's complexity.
      For example, the character of Boromir. He is a fundamentally good
      person--good at heart--but he does things villains would do. He tries to
      take the Ring forcibly from Frodo. It's fun to film good people doing bad
      things, and it makes for a movie that has a little more interest and
      psychological content."

      The other challenge is to keep focus through all three films. "The
      difficulty is you have to imagine the momentum of the films as a whole,"
      Jackson said. "I always find it's very easy to lock yourself into making a
      shot feel nice, but lose the big picture. You forget that the camera should
      move faster, because when you cut it, you want this to be a part of a fast
      scene. Momentum is a very hard thing to maintain." The first Rings film,
      The
      Fellowship of the Ring, opens Dec. 19.

      Joan Marie Verba verba001@...
      List Administrator for DocEx, Mythsoc,