Re: [mythsoc] Novelists influenced by C. S. Lewis

  • Ted Sherman
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 3, 2001
      That's a tall order, but at least three would be Madeleine L'Engle (her Time
      quintet), Philip Pullman (Lewis was a negative influence on him) (his His
      Dark Materials trilogy), and J. K. Rowling (Harry Potter books, of which
      there will be seven to match the seven Chronicles of Narnia).

      Ted Sherman

    • donmcmaster@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 4, 2001
        Hello, Ted!

        Thanks for the names and titles--can you give me, or direct me to,
        some more specific information about how these authors have been
        influenced by Lewis? E.g., have any of them explained this
        themselves, or have other people (like you, for example) written about
        how Lewis's influence shows up in any of these authors' works?

        I know at least a little something about L'Engle and Rowling, but
        nothing about Pullman. When you say Lewis was a "negative influence"
        on him, I'm inferring that you don't mean Lewis was a bad influence on
        the quality of Pullman's writing, but rather that Pullman reacted
        against something or other in Lewis's writing. Can you give me any
        details? If so, thanks in advance!

        Don McMaster

        --- In mythsoc@y..., Ted Sherman <tedsherman@h...> wrote:
        > That's a tall order, but at least three would be Madeleine L'Engle
        (her Time quintet), Philip Pullman (Lewis was a negative influence on
        him) (his Dark Materials trilogy), and J. K. Rowling (Harry Potter
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 4, 2001
          Don,

          I don't know how many (if any) of the links below are still good, but if so
          then you'll find interviews with Pullman and reviews of his books at various
          of them. Pullman has said in a number of interviews that his "Dark
          Materials" books were written at least somewhat in response to The
          Chronicles of Narnia, which he thought were bad (in terms of content not
          writing style).

          http://teacher.scholastic.com/authorsandbooks/events/pullman/index.htm
          http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/0,,20824,00.html
          http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/0,,20758,00.html
          http://www.weeklystandard.com/magazine/mag_6_6_00/jacobs_bkart_6_6_00.asp
          http://www.slj.com/articles/articles/20001001_9064.asp
          http://www.slj.com/articles/articles/20001001_9064.asp
          http://www.salon.com/books/feature/2000/10/18/pullman/index.html
          http://www.booksunlimited.co.uk/departments/childrenandteens/story/0,6000,386073,00.html

          http://www.msnbc.com/news/479510.asp?cp1=1#BODY
          http://www.booksunlimited.co.uk/critics/reviews/0,5917,385984,00.html
          http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A31236-2000Oct28.html
          http://www.nytimes.com/2000/11/07/arts/07PULL.html
          http://www.cnn.com/2000/books/news/11/10/philip.pullman/
          http://www.nytimes.com/books/00/11/19/reviews/001119.19alderst.html

          Ted

          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 4, 2001
            It's always a little hard to say who's been influenced by who because often
            the people whose styles and concepts seems similar to some earlier writer
            turn out not to have read that author at all. Going the other way, some
            authors say that they have been influenced by some earlier author, even
            though you can't find any obvious resamblences in their works. For instance,
            in the following interview

            http://world.std.com/~pduggan/wolfejbj.html

            Gene Wolfe says he's been influenced by C. S. Lewis. I don't think most of
            us would see any clear resemblence there.

            Here's an interview where Neil Gaiman says that he's been influenced by Lewis:

            http://www.gothic.net/archives/non-fiction/gaiman499.html

            (O.K., it's a little dubious if Gaiman should be called a novelist.)

            Here's an interview with John Shirley in which he says that he's influenced
            to some extent by C. S. Lewis.

            http://www.darkecho.com/JohnShirley/jsinterview1.html

            That's a little surprising too.

            Wendell Wagner
          • David S. Bratman
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 4, 2001
              At 03:18 PM 2/4/2001 -0500, Wendell Wagner wrote:

              >It's always a little hard to say who's been influenced by who because often
              >the people whose styles and concepts seems similar to some earlier writer
              >turn out not to have read that author at all.

              There are many possible causes of similarity besides influence. Some
              people (not you, I trust) find this concept difficult to grasp.

              >Going the other way, some
              >authors say that they have been influenced by some earlier author, even
              >though you can't find any obvious resamblences in their works.

              Influence need not lead to similarity, either. Someone can influence you
              to write more like yourself, not necessarily like them. (Dr. Diana Glyer's
              law.)

              It all boils down to, what does Don actually want? Books whose authors
              were inspired by Lewis? If so, inspired in what way? Books that Lewis
              would have liked? Books that resemble Lewis's? If so, resemble in what
              way? Content? Spiritual depth? Style? Quality? None of these lists
              will be the same.

              >(O.K., it's a little dubious if Gaiman should be called a novelist.)

              Why not? He's written novels.

              David Bratman
            • donmcmaster@yahoo.com
              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 4, 2001
                Let me see, what do I want? I'll try eliminating what I *don't* want
                and see what's left. First of all, I'm pretty sure I don't want
                Philip Pullman--I say now that I've learned something about him and
                his books! I don't want any other authors who like Lewis's style but
                hate his content, either. I don't want authors who were somehow
                "inspired" by Lewis to write books with content that Lewis probably
                wouldn't have liked, even if their books may be thought to have a lot
                of spiritual depth. I want authors (if they exist) who take Lewis as
                a literary mentor in content at least as much as in style, and who try
                to write books that Lewis would have liked in both respects. (No
                doubt I don't want them if they try but fail abysmally; on the other
                hand, I couldn't reasonably demand that the quality of their writing
                should equal the excellence of Lewis's own!)

                Don McMaster

                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 4, 2001
                  Don,

                  May I ask why you want such a list? That is, is this for personal
                  development and illumination? Is this research for a project?

                  Ted

                  donmcmaster@... wrote:

                  > Let me see, what do I want? I'll try eliminating what I *don't* want
                  > and see what's left. First of all, I'm pretty sure I don't want
                  > Philip Pullman--I say now that I've learned something about him and
                  > his books! I don't want any other authors who like Lewis's style but
                  > hate his content, either. I don't want authors who were somehow
                  > "inspired" by Lewis to write books with content that Lewis probably
                  > wouldn't have liked, even if their books may be thought to have a lot
                  > of spiritual depth. I want authors (if they exist) who take Lewis as
                  > a literary mentor in content at least as much as in style, and who try
                  > to write books that Lewis would have liked in both respects. (No
                  > doubt I don't want them if they try but fail abysmally; on the other
                  > hand, I couldn't reasonably demand that the quality of their writing
                  > should equal the excellence of Lewis's own!)
                  >
                  > Don McMaster
                  >
                  > --- In mythsoc@y..., "David S. Bratman" <dbratman@s...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > It all boils down to, what does Don actually want? Books whose
                  > authors were inspired by Lewis? If so, inspired in what way? Books
                  > that Lewis would have liked? Books that resemble Lewis's? If so,
                  > resemble in what way? Content? Spiritual depth? Style? Quality?
                  > None of these lists will be the same.

                  Dr. Theodore James Sherman, Editor
                  Mythopoeic Literature
                  Associate Professor of English
                  Murfreesboro, TN 37132
                  615 898-5836 Office
                  615 898-5098 FAX
                  tsherman@...
                • alexeik@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 4, 2001
                    In a message dated 2/4/1 8:43:02 PM, Wendell wrote:

                    <<Gene Wolfe says he's been influenced by C. S. Lewis. I don't think most of
                    us would see any clear resemblence there.

                    That's odd, I've always thought the influence was pretty glaring.
                    Alexei
                    Message 9 of 16 , Feb 4, 2001
                      In a message dated 2/4/01 9:39:18 PM Eastern Standard Time, alexeik@...
                      writes:

                      > That's odd, I've always thought the influence [of Lewis on
                      > Gene Wolfe] was pretty glaring.

                      I defer to your superior knowledge of Wolfe. To be honest, I was going by
                      the few short stories I've read and the plot descriptions of the novels I've
                      heard. Clearly you know much more of Wolfe than I do. I did once have an
                      interesting discussion with Wolfe at a con about _The Dark Tower_.

                      David S. Bratman (in a post that everyone except me seems to have received)
                      writes:

                      > It all boils down to, what does Don actually want? Books
                      > whose authors were inspired by Lewis? If so, inspired in
                      > what way? Books that Lewis would have liked? Books
                      > that resemble Lewis's? If so, resemble in what way?
                      > Content? Spiritual depth? Style? Quality? None of
                      > these lists will be the same.

                      There have been a number of books (or series of books) that were published
                      mostly by Christian publishing houses and sold mostly in Christian bookstores
                      which were inferior imitations of _The Chronicles of Narnia_. My impression
                      is that the vogue for these books is past now. It peaked in the early '80's.
                      (In fact, as I wrote on this list a while ago, I wonder if the vogue for
                      Lewis at Christian bookstores is past now.) It would take me a while to come
                      up with the names of some of them. In a clear sense, they were influenced by
                      Lewis. In an even clearer sense, it's not much of a complement to Lewis to
                      say that these books were influenced by him.

                      Wendell Wagner
                    • donmcmaster@yahoo.com
                      Message 10 of 16 , Feb 5, 2001
                        --- In mythsoc@y..., Ted Sherman <tedsherman@h...> wrote:
                        > Don,
                        >
                        > May I ask why you want such a list? That is, is this for personal
                        > development and illumination? Is this research for a project?

                        Ted,

                        No project, just admiration for Lewis's writing and interest in
                        finding out about his more nearly direct literary "descendants," if he
                        has any.

                        Don McMaster
                      • ERATRIANO@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 16 , Feb 5, 2001
                          In a message dated 02/05/2001 5:07:52 AM Eastern Standard Time,
                          donmcmaster@... writes:

                          << No project, just admiration for Lewis's writing and interest in finding
                          out about his more nearly direct literary "descendants," if he has any. >>

                          Raise your hand if you've been spending years scribbling and aspiring to just
                          that career... lol.

                          Lizzie
                        • Stolzi@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 16 , Feb 5, 2001
                            donmcmaster@... writes:

                            > I want authors (if they exist) who take Lewis as
                            > a literary mentor in content at least as much as in style, and who try
                            > to write books that Lewis would have liked in both respects.

                            Well, kiddie books or no, I conclude that you should certainly take a look at
                            L'Engle's WRINKLE IN TIME series.

                            Mary S
                          • alexeik@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 16 , Feb 5, 2001

                              writes:

                              > That's odd, I've always thought the influence [of Lewis on
                              > Gene Wolfe] was pretty glaring.

                              I defer to your superior knowledge of Wolfe. To be honest, I was going by
                              the few short stories I've read and the plot descriptions of the novels I've
                              heard. Clearly you know much more of Wolfe than I do. I did once have an
                              interesting discussion with Wolfe at a con about _The Dark Tower_.

                              Not *all* of Wolfe's abundant output is obviously Lewis-influenced, but the
                              big fantasy novel-cycles ("New Sun", "Long Sun", "Short Sun") certainly are.
                              Like Lewis' s Ransom trilogy, they're theological fantasies expressing
                              orthodox Christian concepts in startlingly unconventional ways. They don't
                              *imitate* Lewis closely in matters of style or imagery, but it would be hard
                              to imagine them being written without Lewis as a basic model.
                              Alexei
                            • jen stevens
                              Message 14 of 16 , Feb 5, 2001
                                Don,

                                Not to contradict your point of view, but while I agree that Philip Pullman
                                isn't a "descendent" of Lewis, I do think that it can be _very_ interesting
                                to look at people that reacted to or against other writers. Sort of the
                                "anxiety of influence" thing.

                                (of course, I also just like Pullman :)

                                - Jen Stevens

                                ps John White is one of many writers that admits to having been _very_
                                influenced by Lewis (ok, more than influenced!). His very different
                                treatment of the Spenser image of Goldcoffin's chamber is rather
                                interesting....

                              • wyspergrove@netscape.net
                                Message 15 of 16 , Feb 6, 2001
                                  <<No project, just admiration for Lewis's writing and interest in finding
                                  out about his more nearly direct literary "descendants," if he has any.

                                  Raise your hand if you've been spending years scribbling and aspiring to just
                                  that career... lol.>>

                                  :raises hand and looks shyly at her feet:

                                  -Kat