Novelists influenced by C. S. Lewis

  • donmcmaster@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 3, 2001
      Hello out there! I've been an admirer of C. S. Lewis for many years
      and I'm now trying to find out about living novelists who have been
      influenced by Lewis. On the supposition that such novelists exist,
      can anyone here tell me some of their names and leading works, or
      direct me to someone who might be able to do so? If so, thanks in
      advance!

      Don McMaster
    • Ted Sherman
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 3, 2001
        That's a tall order, but at least three would be Madeleine L'Engle (her Time
        quintet), Philip Pullman (Lewis was a negative influence on him) (his His
        Dark Materials trilogy), and J. K. Rowling (Harry Potter books, of which
        there will be seven to match the seven Chronicles of Narnia).

        Ted Sherman

      • donmcmaster@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 4, 2001
          Hello, Ted!

          Thanks for the names and titles--can you give me, or direct me to,
          some more specific information about how these authors have been
          influenced by Lewis? E.g., have any of them explained this
          themselves, or have other people (like you, for example) written about
          how Lewis's influence shows up in any of these authors' works?

          I know at least a little something about L'Engle and Rowling, but
          nothing about Pullman. When you say Lewis was a "negative influence"
          on him, I'm inferring that you don't mean Lewis was a bad influence on
          the quality of Pullman's writing, but rather that Pullman reacted
          against something or other in Lewis's writing. Can you give me any
          details? If so, thanks in advance!

          Don McMaster

          --- In mythsoc@y..., Ted Sherman <tedsherman@h...> wrote:
          > That's a tall order, but at least three would be Madeleine L'Engle
          (her Time quintet), Philip Pullman (Lewis was a negative influence on
          him) (his Dark Materials trilogy), and J. K. Rowling (Harry Potter
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 4, 2001
            Don,

            I don't know how many (if any) of the links below are still good, but if so
            then you'll find interviews with Pullman and reviews of his books at various
            of them. Pullman has said in a number of interviews that his "Dark
            Materials" books were written at least somewhat in response to The
            Chronicles of Narnia, which he thought were bad (in terms of content not
            writing style).

            http://teacher.scholastic.com/authorsandbooks/events/pullman/index.htm
            http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/0,,20824,00.html
            http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/0,,20758,00.html
            http://www.weeklystandard.com/magazine/mag_6_6_00/jacobs_bkart_6_6_00.asp
            http://www.slj.com/articles/articles/20001001_9064.asp
            http://www.slj.com/articles/articles/20001001_9064.asp
            http://www.salon.com/books/feature/2000/10/18/pullman/index.html
            http://www.booksunlimited.co.uk/departments/childrenandteens/story/0,6000,386073,00.html

            http://www.msnbc.com/news/479510.asp?cp1=1#BODY
            http://www.booksunlimited.co.uk/critics/reviews/0,5917,385984,00.html
            http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A31236-2000Oct28.html
            http://www.nytimes.com/2000/11/07/arts/07PULL.html
            http://www.cnn.com/2000/books/news/11/10/philip.pullman/
            http://www.nytimes.com/books/00/11/19/reviews/001119.19alderst.html

            Ted

            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 4, 2001
              It's always a little hard to say who's been influenced by who because often
              the people whose styles and concepts seems similar to some earlier writer
              turn out not to have read that author at all. Going the other way, some
              authors say that they have been influenced by some earlier author, even
              though you can't find any obvious resamblences in their works. For instance,
              in the following interview

              http://world.std.com/~pduggan/wolfejbj.html

              Gene Wolfe says he's been influenced by C. S. Lewis. I don't think most of
              us would see any clear resemblence there.

              Here's an interview where Neil Gaiman says that he's been influenced by Lewis:

              http://www.gothic.net/archives/non-fiction/gaiman499.html

              (O.K., it's a little dubious if Gaiman should be called a novelist.)

              Here's an interview with John Shirley in which he says that he's influenced
              to some extent by C. S. Lewis.

              http://www.darkecho.com/JohnShirley/jsinterview1.html

              That's a little surprising too.

              Wendell Wagner
            • David S. Bratman
              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 4, 2001
                At 03:18 PM 2/4/2001 -0500, Wendell Wagner wrote:

                >It's always a little hard to say who's been influenced by who because often
                >the people whose styles and concepts seems similar to some earlier writer
                >turn out not to have read that author at all.

                There are many possible causes of similarity besides influence. Some
                people (not you, I trust) find this concept difficult to grasp.

                >Going the other way, some
                >authors say that they have been influenced by some earlier author, even
                >though you can't find any obvious resamblences in their works.

                Influence need not lead to similarity, either. Someone can influence you
                to write more like yourself, not necessarily like them. (Dr. Diana Glyer's
                law.)

                It all boils down to, what does Don actually want? Books whose authors
                were inspired by Lewis? If so, inspired in what way? Books that Lewis
                would have liked? Books that resemble Lewis's? If so, resemble in what
                way? Content? Spiritual depth? Style? Quality? None of these lists
                will be the same.

                >(O.K., it's a little dubious if Gaiman should be called a novelist.)

                Why not? He's written novels.

                David Bratman
              • donmcmaster@yahoo.com
                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 4, 2001
                  Let me see, what do I want? I'll try eliminating what I *don't* want
                  and see what's left. First of all, I'm pretty sure I don't want
                  Philip Pullman--I say now that I've learned something about him and
                  his books! I don't want any other authors who like Lewis's style but
                  hate his content, either. I don't want authors who were somehow
                  "inspired" by Lewis to write books with content that Lewis probably
                  wouldn't have liked, even if their books may be thought to have a lot
                  of spiritual depth. I want authors (if they exist) who take Lewis as
                  a literary mentor in content at least as much as in style, and who try
                  to write books that Lewis would have liked in both respects. (No
                  doubt I don't want them if they try but fail abysmally; on the other
                  hand, I couldn't reasonably demand that the quality of their writing
                  should equal the excellence of Lewis's own!)

                  Don McMaster

                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 4, 2001
                    Don,

                    May I ask why you want such a list? That is, is this for personal
                    development and illumination? Is this research for a project?

                    Ted

                    donmcmaster@... wrote:

                    > Let me see, what do I want? I'll try eliminating what I *don't* want
                    > and see what's left. First of all, I'm pretty sure I don't want
                    > Philip Pullman--I say now that I've learned something about him and
                    > his books! I don't want any other authors who like Lewis's style but
                    > hate his content, either. I don't want authors who were somehow
                    > "inspired" by Lewis to write books with content that Lewis probably
                    > wouldn't have liked, even if their books may be thought to have a lot
                    > of spiritual depth. I want authors (if they exist) who take Lewis as
                    > a literary mentor in content at least as much as in style, and who try
                    > to write books that Lewis would have liked in both respects. (No
                    > doubt I don't want them if they try but fail abysmally; on the other
                    > hand, I couldn't reasonably demand that the quality of their writing
                    > should equal the excellence of Lewis's own!)
                    >
                    > Don McMaster
                    >
                    > --- In mythsoc@y..., "David S. Bratman" <dbratman@s...> wrote:
                    >
                    > > It all boils down to, what does Don actually want? Books whose
                    > authors were inspired by Lewis? If so, inspired in what way? Books
                    > that Lewis would have liked? Books that resemble Lewis's? If so,
                    > resemble in what way? Content? Spiritual depth? Style? Quality?
                    > None of these lists will be the same.

                    Dr. Theodore James Sherman, Editor
                    Mythopoeic Literature
                    Associate Professor of English
                    Murfreesboro, TN 37132
                    615 898-5836 Office
                    615 898-5098 FAX
                    tsherman@...
                  • alexeik@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 16 , Feb 4, 2001
                      In a message dated 2/4/1 8:43:02 PM, Wendell wrote:

                      <<Gene Wolfe says he's been influenced by C. S. Lewis. I don't think most of
                      us would see any clear resemblence there.

                      That's odd, I've always thought the influence was pretty glaring.
                      Alexei
                      Message 10 of 16 , Feb 4, 2001
                        In a message dated 2/4/01 9:39:18 PM Eastern Standard Time, alexeik@...
                        writes:

                        > That's odd, I've always thought the influence [of Lewis on
                        > Gene Wolfe] was pretty glaring.

                        I defer to your superior knowledge of Wolfe. To be honest, I was going by
                        the few short stories I've read and the plot descriptions of the novels I've
                        heard. Clearly you know much more of Wolfe than I do. I did once have an
                        interesting discussion with Wolfe at a con about _The Dark Tower_.

                        David S. Bratman (in a post that everyone except me seems to have received)
                        writes:

                        > It all boils down to, what does Don actually want? Books
                        > whose authors were inspired by Lewis? If so, inspired in
                        > what way? Books that Lewis would have liked? Books
                        > that resemble Lewis's? If so, resemble in what way?
                        > Content? Spiritual depth? Style? Quality? None of
                        > these lists will be the same.

                        There have been a number of books (or series of books) that were published
                        mostly by Christian publishing houses and sold mostly in Christian bookstores
                        which were inferior imitations of _The Chronicles of Narnia_. My impression
                        is that the vogue for these books is past now. It peaked in the early '80's.
                        (In fact, as I wrote on this list a while ago, I wonder if the vogue for
                        Lewis at Christian bookstores is past now.) It would take me a while to come
                        up with the names of some of them. In a clear sense, they were influenced by
                        Lewis. In an even clearer sense, it's not much of a complement to Lewis to
                        say that these books were influenced by him.

                        Wendell Wagner
                      • donmcmaster@yahoo.com
                        Message 11 of 16 , Feb 5, 2001
                          --- In mythsoc@y..., Ted Sherman <tedsherman@h...> wrote:
                          > Don,
                          >
                          > May I ask why you want such a list? That is, is this for personal
                          > development and illumination? Is this research for a project?

                          Ted,

                          No project, just admiration for Lewis's writing and interest in
                          finding out about his more nearly direct literary "descendants," if he
                          has any.

                          Don McMaster
                        • ERATRIANO@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 16 , Feb 5, 2001
                            In a message dated 02/05/2001 5:07:52 AM Eastern Standard Time,
                            donmcmaster@... writes:

                            << No project, just admiration for Lewis's writing and interest in finding
                            out about his more nearly direct literary "descendants," if he has any. >>

                            Raise your hand if you've been spending years scribbling and aspiring to just
                            that career... lol.

                            Lizzie
                          • Stolzi@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 16 , Feb 5, 2001
                              donmcmaster@... writes:

                              > I want authors (if they exist) who take Lewis as
                              > a literary mentor in content at least as much as in style, and who try
                              > to write books that Lewis would have liked in both respects.

                              Well, kiddie books or no, I conclude that you should certainly take a look at
                              L'Engle's WRINKLE IN TIME series.

                              Mary S
                            • alexeik@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 16 , Feb 5, 2001

                                writes:

                                > That's odd, I've always thought the influence [of Lewis on
                                > Gene Wolfe] was pretty glaring.

                                I defer to your superior knowledge of Wolfe. To be honest, I was going by
                                the few short stories I've read and the plot descriptions of the novels I've
                                heard. Clearly you know much more of Wolfe than I do. I did once have an
                                interesting discussion with Wolfe at a con about _The Dark Tower_.

                                Not *all* of Wolfe's abundant output is obviously Lewis-influenced, but the
                                big fantasy novel-cycles ("New Sun", "Long Sun", "Short Sun") certainly are.
                                Like Lewis' s Ransom trilogy, they're theological fantasies expressing
                                orthodox Christian concepts in startlingly unconventional ways. They don't
                                *imitate* Lewis closely in matters of style or imagery, but it would be hard
                                to imagine them being written without Lewis as a basic model.
                                Alexei
                              • jen stevens
                                Message 15 of 16 , Feb 5, 2001
                                  Don,

                                  Not to contradict your point of view, but while I agree that Philip Pullman
                                  isn't a "descendent" of Lewis, I do think that it can be _very_ interesting
                                  to look at people that reacted to or against other writers. Sort of the
                                  "anxiety of influence" thing.

                                  (of course, I also just like Pullman :)

                                  - Jen Stevens

                                  ps John White is one of many writers that admits to having been _very_
                                  influenced by Lewis (ok, more than influenced!). His very different
                                  treatment of the Spenser image of Goldcoffin's chamber is rather
                                  interesting....

                                • wyspergrove@netscape.net
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Feb 6, 2001
                                    <<No project, just admiration for Lewis's writing and interest in finding
                                    out about his more nearly direct literary "descendants," if he has any.

                                    Raise your hand if you've been spending years scribbling and aspiring to just
                                    that career... lol.>>

                                    :raises hand and looks shyly at her feet:

                                    -Kat