CS Lewis URL

  • Ted Sherman
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 28 10:12 AM
      The URL below has some wonderful photos of Lewis as well as biographical
      material by several folks.

      http://ic.net/~erasmus/RAZ402.HTM

      Also, does anyone recognize the painting, supposedly of CSL, at the site
      below?

      http://www.willowsgallery.com/Monthly_images/2cslewis.jpg

      Ted Sherman
    • David S. Bratman
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 28 6:24 PM
        At 12:12 PM 1/28/2001 -0600, Ted Sherman wrote:

        > >Also, does anyone recognize the painting, supposedly of CSL, at the site
        > >below?
        > >
        > >http://www.willowsgallery.com/Monthly_images/2cslewis.jpg
        My first thought was, "If this is Lewis, it certainly wasn't painted from
        life." And the caption on the art gallery page
        <http://www.willowsgallery.com/artworks.htm> reads "Portrait of C.S. Lewis,
        painted for use in the film 'The Great Gatsby'", which suggests 1) that the
        portrait is extremely posthumous; 2) somebody is very confused, because
        what would Gatsby be doing with a portrait of C.S. Lewis?

        David Bratman
      • Ted Sherman
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 28 6:31 PM
          Yes, I know what the caption says, which is why I wanted to know if anyone had
          ever seen the photo before. A question regarding the portrait was sent to
          another list I'm on and I hoped that perhaps someone here (or on MereLewis)
          would have a clue about it. Of course, a portrait of Lewis in "The Great
          Gatsby" film would be rather odd; perhaps the portrait is meant to be of
          another Lewis? Sinclair Lewis? C. Day Lewis? I've not seen photos of either so
          I'm stabbing in the dark here.

          Ted

        • Stolzi@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 28 7:25 PM
            In a message dated 1/28/01 8:36:17 PM Central Standard Time,
            tedsherman@... writes:

            > <A HREF="http://www.willowsgallery.com/Monthly_images/2cslewis.jpg">
            http://www.willowsgallery.com/Monthly_images/2cslewis.jpg</A>

            It doesn't look the least bit like Sinclair Lewis. OR like Clive Staples
            Lewis.

            I have gone to the parent site and requested an explanation. Any replies I
            get will be reported here.

            Your humble sleuth,
            Mary S