Interesting web site

  • Mary Kay Kare
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 25, 2001
      An acquaintance in England gave me the url below. He says the
      museum's display of the Vale of the White Horse is a must for us
      Tolkien fans. Apparently Tolkien grew up near there and it may be the
      model for Hobbiton.

      MKK

      http://ds.dial.pipex.com/sfb/penhome.shtml
    • David S. Bratman
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 26, 2001
        At 03:22 PM 1/25/2001 , Mary Kay Kare wrote:

        >An acquaintance in England gave me the url below. He says the
        >museum's display of the Vale of the White Horse is a must for us
        >Tolkien fans. Apparently Tolkien grew up near there and it may be the
        >model for Hobbiton.
        >
        >http://ds.dial.pipex.com/sfb/penhome.shtml

        This museum looks like a worthwhile place for anyone interested in the
        history of the English countryside. Thanks for mentioning it: it sounds
        interesting.

        The Vale of the White Horse is beautiful countryside, much of it relatively
        pristine, and it's very near Oxford, but the specific Tolkien connections
        mentioned by this acquaintance are specious. Tolkien grew up in and around
        Birmingham, which is 60 miles away, and the only known (or more accurately
        surmised) specific model for Hobbiton was the Sarehole Mill, which he knew
        as a child in Birmingham. Of course, any old rural English village may
        remind the visitor of Hobbiton, and rightly so: but that's not to say that
        that village is any more the model than any other village.

        The museum's web site says that it aims to "recapture ... the peaceful
        country ways ... of the English countryside as it used to be in the years
        around 1930." By the 1930s, which seem so quaint and quiet to us now,
        Tolkien was giving up his countryside rambles because he was so distressed
        at the urbanization and industrialization even of rural England. He was a
        creature of an earlier time still. He wrote, "The country in which I lived
        in childhood was being shabbily destroyed before I was ten [he was ten in
        1902], in days when motor-cars were rare objects (I had never seen one),
        and men were still building suburban railways."

        Tolkien certainly did know the Vale, though, and there are some worthwhile
        Tolkienian places in and around it. There are villages (not the only ones,
        though) in the area named Buckland and Wootton; and Christopher Tolkien
        lived in the area when he was editing _The Silmarillion_ (he doesn't live
        there now, though). Hammond & Scull's _J.R.R. Tolkien, Artist &
        Illustrator_ contains some drawings Tolkien made in Lambourn, which is just
        south of the Vale, over the hills.

        I notice that the museum is on the Thames: this is roughly the stretch of
        the river which inspired Shepard's illustrations for _The Wind in the
        Willows_ (though not the original book), as well as being right on the
        center of action of Connie Willis's _To Say Nothing Of the Dog_ (most of
        _Three Men in a Boat_ takes place further downstream). So it does have
        those fantasy connections.

        David Bratman
      • Vincent Ferre
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 27, 2001
          > >museum's display of the Vale of the White Horse is a must for us
          > >Tolkien fans. ...

          Hi,

          I am a new member, I�m French, and I am very pleased to join your group.

          �Tolkien certainly did know the Vale� : I think Tolkien mentioned the White
          Horse, in a letter, didn�t he ? (I can't check right now)

          regards,
          Vincent

          ps : are there many other French or French-speaking people on this list ? A
          few things are done about Tolkien here in France, but I think they do not
          reach the USA, do they ? sorry for this naive question...

        • Diane Joy Baker
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 27, 2001
            > > >museum's display of the Vale of the White Horse is a must for us
            > > >Tolkien fans. ...
            >
            > Hi,
            >
            > I am a new member, I'm French, and I am very pleased to join your group.
            >
            > "Tolkien certainly did know the Vale" : I think Tolkien mentioned the
            White
            > Horse, in a letter, didn't he ? (I can't check right now)
            >
            > regards,
            > Vincent
            >
            > ps : are there many other French or French-speaking people on this list ?
            > few things are done about Tolkien here in France, but I think they do not
            > reach the USA, do they ? sorry for this naive question...

            I don't speak French, but do welcome you to the list. I'm afraid we don't
            get a lot of coverage with foreign news of any sort (even though they do a
            few things on C-Span), let alone publicizing what Tolkien events occur. Of
            course there is the Internet, and I presume you can find *anything* out
            there, including a French-speaking site dedicated to Tolkien. It would not
            surprise me! ---djb

          • alexeik@aol.com
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 27, 2001
              In a message dated 1/27/1 8:28:46 AM, Vincent wrote:

              <<ps : are there many other French or French-speaking people on this list ?>>

              Moi, par exemple. :-)
              Alexei
            • David S. Bratman
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 27, 2001
                At 08:24 AM 1/27/2001 +0000, Vincent Ferre wrote:

                >"Tolkien certainly did know the Vale" : I think Tolkien mentioned the White
                >Horse, in a letter, didn't he ? (I can't check right now)

                A couple of references to "The White Horse" in Tolkien's published letters
                are to a pub by that name in Oxford. (Probably in turn the name is a
                reference to the White Horse carved in a hillside above the Vale.)

                The White Horse is one of several pubs, besides the famous Bird and Baby,
                in which members of the Inklings used to meet for a drink. It is still
                there, and I too have had a drink there. At least at that time, it was the
                only pub I found in Oxford that had draft cider.

                David Bratman
              • Madame K
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 28, 2001
                  Bienvenue au groupe, Vincent! Je suis toujours heureuse de rencontrer encore
                  une personne qui parle fran�ais, surtout quelqu'un qui s'int�resse �
                  Tolkien.

                  Mary Jo

                  >From: "Vincent Ferre" <ferretolk@...>
                  >To: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
                  >Subject: Re: [mythsoc] Interesting web site
                  >Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 08:24:25 -0000
                  >

                  > > >museum's display of the Vale of the White Horse is a must for us
                  > > >Tolkien fans. ...
                  >
                  > Hi,
                  >
                  >I am a new member, I�m French, and I am very pleased to join your group.
                  >
                  >�Tolkien certainly did know the Vale� : I think Tolkien mentioned the White
                  >Horse, in a letter, didn�t he ? (I can't check right now)
                  >
                  > regards,
                  > Vincent
                  >
                  >ps : are there many other French or French-speaking people on this list ? A
                  >few things are done about Tolkien here in France, but I think they do not
                  >reach the USA, do they ? sorry for this naive question...

                • Matthew S Winslow
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 29, 2001
                    On Sat, 27 Jan 2001 10:08:37 -0800 "David S. Bratman"
                    <dbratman@...> writes:
                    > A couple of references to "The White Horse" in Tolkien's published
                    > letters
                    > are to a pub by that name in Oxford. (Probably in turn the name is
                    > reference to the White Horse carved in a hillside above the Vale.)

                    One of my English wife's favorite pubs is the White Horse somewhere in
                    the Essex countryside (read: I can't remember exactly where). The owner
                    says the name traditionally came from a reference to the white horse in
                    the book of Revelation, but I'm more than happy to be told I'm wrong.

                    Matt

                    Currently Reading: Graveyard Game by Kage Baker
                    GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
                    http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
                  • corneliaskitchen@yahoo.ca
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jan 31, 2001
                      --- In mythsoc@y..., "Vincent Ferre" <ferretolk@h...> wrote:

                      > > >museum's display of the Vale of the White Horse is a must
                      for us
                      > > >Tolkien fans. ...
                      >
                      > Hi,
                      >
                      > I am a new member, I'm French, and I am very pleased to join
                      your group.

                      > "Tolkien certainly did know the Vale" : I think Tolkien mentioned
                      the White
                      > Horse, in a letter, didn't he ? (I can't check right now)
                      >
                      > regards,
                      > Vincent
                      >
                      > ps : are there many other French or French-speaking people
                      on this list ?

                      I just joined this list today, but I do speak French as well as
                      English. I live in Montreal. My first language is English, but my
                      husband is a francophone.

                      Cornelia