Northernness??

  • ERATRIANO@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 24, 2001
      I just got another Daedalus Books catalog, a sort of clearance sale of odd
      books (www.salebooks.com), and one title caught my eye. Not one that I'd
      order, but I wonder if it would fit in with that "northernness" thing
      mentioned in Surprised by Joy and probably other Inkling-related works.

      The book is _I May Be Some Time: Ice and the English Imaginatin_ by Francis
      Spufford, published by St. Martin's. "The Somerset Maugham Award-winning
      book I May Be Some Time is a shivery cultural history of the human obsession
      with ice, Eskimos, and polar exploration. ... Drawing on diaries, letters,
      the works of Bronte, Keats, and others, I May Be Some Time is about the poles
      as they have been perceived, dreamed, even desire. ..." The call of the vast
      empty north and all that, more than the Norse myths. Again, not for me, but
      it did make me stop and think.

      Lizzie