Dunsany & Awards

  • David S. Bratman
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 22, 2001
      Paul Labaki wrote:

      >I've read a few of the Gods of Pegana stories, but they haven't
      >grabbed me like The King of Elfland's Daughter. I will, however, get back
      >to them.

      Now that you have the big British volume, Paul, try reading some of the
      later stories. _The Gods of Pegana_ was Dunsany's first book, and it's
      deliberately stark. I'd recommend in particular _The Sword of Welleran_
      and _A Dreamer's Tales_. "The Kith of the Elf-Folk" from the former book
      is one of my favorites of all Dunsany stories, and very similar in its
      lyrical spirit to _The King of Elfland's Daughter_.

      Margaret Dean:

      >"Paul F. Labaki" wrote:
      >>
      >> I'm, right now, in the middle of Lord Dunsany's _The King of Elfland's
      >> Daughter_. If it is eligible, I'd like to nominate for the adult fiction
      >> catagory. Del Rey republished it in 1999. I'm not sure I'm remembering
      >> correctly, but I think books published in the last three years are eligible,
      >> are they not?
      >
      >I'll doubtless be corrected if I'm wrong, but I believe only
      >books =originally= published in the past year are eligible for
      >the fiction categories. (So even if the Dunsany had been
      >reprinted in 2000, it wouldn't be eligible.) It's the awards for
      >scholarly books that have the longer time limit, IIRC.

      Margaret is correct that it's the scholarly books that have a three-year
      eligibility. However - and potential nominators should please remember
      this - current reprints (for this year's awards, ones from 2000) =ARE=
      eligible for the adult fiction award, so long as no previous edition was a
      finalist. The purpose of this rule is to allow a second chance to books
      which may have been overlooked on first publication.

      Usually such books are nominated on the basis of first paperback, or first
      U.S. edition of a foreign book. But there's nothing to prevent nominations
      of older books. Dahlov Ipcar's _A Dark Horn Blowing_ was 20 years old when
      it was nominated for a reprint when I was administrator. Some felt this
      was pushing it; others considered it a neglected classic that was better
      than the new books.

      David Bratman

      P.S. I am now posting from dbratman@.... My previous address,
      dbratman@..., will soon disappear. Correspondents will please
      take note.
    • Paul F. Labaki
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 22, 2001
        Thank you, David. I'll take your suggestions and move on from there.
        Peace,
        Paul Labaki