Re: [mythsoc] Mythopoeic Awards

    Message 1 of 24 , Jan 22, 2001
      In a message dated 1/21/01 10:23:35 PM Eastern Standard Time,
      gfunk@... writes:

      << I should think either Daerons<www.daerons.demon.co.uk> or
      Thorntons <www.thorntonsbooks.co.uk> would be able to get you the dunsay
      book you want. I oprder from them frequently. >>

      In a message dated 1/22/01 9:19:47 AM Eastern Standard Time,
      tedsherman@... writes:

      << Of course, there's also amazon.co.uk, from which I usually purchase British
      books (such as the HP books).

      O.K., Paul, so there's three sources for the Dunsany collection _Time and the
      Gods_, which I really do recommend that you order.

      Wendell Wagner
    • jchristopher@tarleton.edu
      Message 2 of 24 , Jan 5, 2002
        I've run across a couple of books recently which might be considered in
        different categories for Mythopoeic Awards. I've recently started on Mike
        Ashley's _Algernon Blackwood: An Extraordinary Life_ (New York: Carroll and
        Graft, 2001), and on the basis of the first five chapters recommend it.
        Ashley seems to have done an excellent job of tracing Blackwood's life; so
        far Blackwood has not yet started writing his supernatural fiction, but
        he's joined the Theosophical Society and had a few of the experiences he
        later worked into stories.

        The other book, a novel, is Deborah Crombie's _A Finer End_ (New York:
        Bantom Books, 2001). This is part of a police series laid in England (of
        which I've read none of the others), but this episode is in Glastonbury
        with supernatural aspects and chapter epigraphs often from Dion Fortune.
        I'm sure C. S. Lewis would not have been pleased with the depiction of a
        female priest in the Church of England who is having an affair (and
        rationalizes it)--she's one of the good characters in the novel--but the
        book is a Grail Quest of an odd sort and quite interesting, I think. (The
        last time I recommended a novel, it didn't make it to the list, so what do
        I know? Nevertheless, I think this is an interesting book on the Williams
        side on our spectrum.)

        --Joe
      • David Lenander
        Message 3 of 24 , Feb 26, 2002
          Thursday is the deadline for nominating books for the Mythopoeic Awards. I don't plan to nominate Gaiman's _American Gods_ or Tim Powers' _Declare_, though I expect that someone or some several will do so. But besides the new Le Guin books, I'm having trouble thinking of adult candidates, even though I have a sense that I've read more new books in the past year than usual. If you've read any books from 2001 that might be considered candidates, but don't plan to nominate them yourself, why
          don't you respond to this list and suggest the titles? Even if you've not actually read something by a reliable author, or about which you've heard good things, can you mention some interesting titles to job my memory? Among children's books, I can think of Claire's recommendation of Nancy Springer's _Rowan Hood_, _Lirael_ by Garth Nix (what a terrific read! Although it's rather obviously an in-between book, so it might be disqualified until the sequel appears. It is a sequel to
          _Sabriel_, which was not so obviously part of a sequence), _The Ghost Sitter_ by Pene Griffin, Diane Duane's _Wizard's Dilemma_ (I haven't read the latter, but read some positive reviews). More suggestions would still be welcome. Is there a new McKillip book in 2001??

          Also don't neglect non-fiction, that devoted to the Inklings or to general fantasy or mythic studies. I'm sure that some of the recent books we've mentioned here, like _Tolkien's Legendarium_, and _JRRT and His Literary Resonances_, or the _Oxford Companion to Fairy Tales_ --or whatever Jack Zipes' latest book is--will be on the final lists. In this case, of course, books published over the past three years are eligible: 1999, 2000 and 2001.

          David Lenander,

        • Bill
          Message 4 of 24 , Feb 26, 2002
            Hmm..Bujold's Curse of Chalion and Russell's One Kingdom come
            to mind.
            Hobb's Fool's Errand.
            DeLint's Onion Girl.
            My four favorite books of 2001. Not sure if they
            fit the qualifications for the award, though?

          • Janet Croft
            Message 5 of 24 , Feb 27, 2002
              How about Terry Pratchett's The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents in
              the children's category? While it IS a Discworld novel, it's a stand-alone
              one -- it doesn't tie in with any of the sub-series, like the Witches series
              or the Death series, and it's really quite excellent. Rats creating their
              own mythos -- now there's an interesting concept!

              Janet
[...]

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            • Joe R. Christopher
              Message 6 of 24 , Dec 13, 2003
                I haven't seen any calls about the Mythopoeic Awards yet (and I think I've
                opened all these e-mailings), but I thought I'd report the Brian Bates'
                _The Real Middle Earth: Exploring the Magic and Mystery of the Middle Ages,
                J. R. R. Tolkien, and "The Lord of the Rings"_ (New York: Palgrave
                Macmillan, 2003) is _not_ a contender for the Scholarship Award. He's
                interested in the imaginative aspects of pagan Europe (both Germanic and
                Celtic--though mainly Germanic); usually just one or two paragraphs appear
                per chapter on how Tolkien used whatever aspect is being discussed at the
                time. In other words, very light on Tolkien; the main interest is
                elsewhere. I suspect Tolkien was brought in to sell the book.

                --Joe
                Message 7 of 24 , Dec 16, 2003
                  At 03:48 PM 12/13/2003 +0000, Joe R. Christopher wrote:
                  >I haven't seen any calls about the Mythopoeic Awards yet (and I think I've
                  >opened all these e-mailings), but I thought I'd report the Brian Bates'
                  >_The Real Middle Earth: Exploring the Magic and Mystery of the Middle Ages,
                  >J. R. R. Tolkien, and "The Lord of the Rings"_ (New York: Palgrave
                  >Macmillan, 2003) is _not_ a contender for the Scholarship Award. He's
                  >interested in the imaginative aspects of pagan Europe (both Germanic and
                  >Celtic--though mainly Germanic); usually just one or two paragraphs appear
                  >per chapter on how Tolkien used whatever aspect is being discussed at the
                  >time. In other words, very light on Tolkien; the main interest is
                  >elsewhere. I suspect Tolkien was brought in to sell the book.

                  That is true. Here's what I wrote about the book in my roundup of books on
                  Tolkien for (I hope) the December Mythprint:

                  "Lastly, _The Real Middle-earth_ by Brian Bates isn�t about Tolkien at all.
                  It�s an attempt by an English redbrick university psychology professor to
                  use Tolkien�s popularity as an awkward kicking-off point for a rather
                  woo-woo account of the civilization and worldview of late first-millennium
                  Celtic and Germanic Europe. His constant reference to these peoples as
                  'the real Middle-earth' grates, and correlations with Tolkien�s creation
                  are only cursory."

                  Of the 2003 books about Tolkien that I've read, the ones I'm inclined to
                  nominate for the award are _Tolkien in the Land of Heroes_ by Anne C.
                  Petty, _Tolkien the Medievalist_ ed. by Jane Chance (selectively: some's
                  excellent, some's mediocre), _Tolkien and the Great War_ by John Garth, and
                  _Following Gandalf_ by Matthew Dickerson. The absolute _worst_ new book on
                  Tolkien this year is _Untangling Tolkien_ by Michael W. Perry.
                • Stolzi@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 24 , Dec 17, 2003
                    In a message dated 12/16/2003 6:28:50 PM Central Standard Time,
                    dbratman@... writes:

                    >Of the 2003 books about Tolkien that I've read,

                    My, that's a lot!

                    Diamond Proudbrook

                    Message 9 of 24 , Dec 18, 2003
                      At 04:07 PM 12/17/2003 -0500, Stolzi@... wrote:
                      >In a message dated 12/16/2003 6:28:50 PM Central Standard Time,
                      >dbratman@... writes:
                      >
                      >>Of the 2003 books about Tolkien that I've read,
                      >
                      >My, that's a lot!

                      It seems like that many. In truth, I believe that over the years I've read
                      at least a hundred books about Tolkien alone, not counting books only
                      partially about him. That's most, but not quite all, of the full-length
                      books about Tolkien in English, not counting books in other languages (of
                      which I've read only a few) or fugitive pamphlets (of which I've read a lot).

                      - David Bratman
                    • regisdanilo
                      Message 10 of 24 , Apr 19 8:00 AM
                        Any idea when the nominations for this year´s awards will be announced?

                        Olaf
                        Message 11 of 24 , Apr 19 8:15 AM
                          At 03:00 PM 4/19/2004 +0000, Olaf wrote:
                          >Any idea when the nominations for this year´s awards will be announced?

                          Deadline for first-ballot voting is May 15, so soon after that.

                          - David Bratman
                        • regisdanilo
                          Message 12 of 24 , Apr 19 11:43 PM
                            Thanks,