Re: Star Wars as Mythopoeic art

  • Paul F. Labaki
    Message 1 of 29 , Jun 27, 1999
      The Inklings (I think correctly) would likely have taken the position that
      we have our own mythology; for Christians, the names and stories can be
      found in a book we call "The Bible." The fact that there are people who
      believe the mythology to be true and act accordingly does not invalidate its
      mythic nature.
      --
      Paul Labaki

      ----------

      >> Star Wars is our futile attempt at forging our own myth.
      >
      > Thank God we are still making the attempt! Woe be unto us the day we
      > stop!
      >

      > Respectfully,
      > Jim Bohannon
      > Milledgeville, Georgia
      > USA

      > The Literary Guild´┐Ż offers you half off publishers' edition prices on
      > the books you love to read. Get 5 books for only $2 + 1 free with
      > membership. Go to http://www.onelist.com/ad/doubleday7

    • Diane Baker
      Message 2 of 29 , Jun 28, 1999
        Paul F. Labaki wrote:

        > From: "Paul F. Labaki" <sheik@...>
        >
        > The Inklings (I think correctly) would likely have taken the position that
        > we have our own mythology; for Christians, the names and stories can be
        > found in a book we call "The Bible." The fact that there are people who
        > believe the mythology to be true and act accordingly does not invalidate its
        > mythic nature.
        > --
        > Paul Labaki

        I would certainly agree. "Mythology" does seem a bit tinged with the
        notion "a story, which for the most part, should be disbelieved, but has
        to be respected for PC's sake." I prefer the term "mythos." JRRT and
        CSL do subscribe to this "mythos," of course! ---djb.