Re: [mythsoc] Mythopoeic Awards

  • Paul F. Labaki
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 20, 2001
      I'm, right now, in the middle of Lord Dunsany's _The King of Elfland's
      Daughter_. If it is eligible, I'd like to nominate for the adult fiction
      catagory. Del Rey republished it in 1999. I'm not sure I'm remembering
      correctly, but I think books published in the last three years are eligible,
      are they not?

      I'll save most of my commentary for when I've finished it, but for now I'll
      say that I find it lyrical and pastoral in a way that is calming. Even
      reading in a busy restaurant it invokes a feeling of sitting quietly in a
      meadow, or listening to soft contemplative music. The language and style of
      the narrative is formal and introspective with very measured even pacing.
      This style as much as the subject matter makes it high fantasy. If it ends
      as a tragedy, so much the better for its art. I find myself hoping that it
      does. I'm amazed by that, but ...

      The only other Dunsanu I've read is a few of the first _Gods of Pagana_
      stories. Similar in style to _The King of Elfland's Daughter_ but not
      engaging. I've got better reason now to read more.

      Peace,
      Paul Labaki