BTW, welcome note needs updating

  • ERATRIANO@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 19, 2001
      The welcome note needs updating, about the change from onelist to egroups.
      And now egroups has been taken over by yahoo! right? So now what?

      Maybe I will stick around (no groans, please). I still haven't subbed to any
      of the magazines, and I'm dying to read Mythlore, especially. I'm just so
      sick of all the movie stuff. I'd rather hear about books and writing.
      Anyone take up journaling this year? Finding it hard to get back into it? I
      sure am....

      Lizzie
    • David S. Bratman
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 19, 2001
        On Fri, 19 Jan 2001 ERATRIANO@... wrote:

        > Maybe I will stick around (no groans, please). I still haven't subbed to any
        > of the magazines, and I'm dying to read Mythlore, especially.

        A problem easily remedied, unless you're short of money.

        > I'm just so
        > sick of all the movie stuff. I'd rather hear about books and writing.

        Maybe you can set your e-mail program to discard all mythsoc posts with
        subjects written in ALL-CAPS. <g>

        I'd like to talk about books, too, but we're rarely all reading the same
        stuff here. I was a subscriber to the Tolkien bitnet list at the time
        the later "History of Middle-earth" books were coming out, and at one
        point I suggested that we (however many of us wanted to) read the new
        book simultaneously, a chapter at a time, and discuss it, but nobody
        seemed interested.

        David Bratman
      • Eleanor Farrell
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 19, 2001
          --- In mythsoc@egroups.com, "David S. Bratman" <dbratman@g...> wrote:
          > On Fri, 19 Jan 2001 ERATRIANO@a... wrote:

          > I'd like to talk about books, too, but we're rarely all reading the same
          > stuff here.

          Good time for another plug for the Society's Mythopoeic Awards! Members of
          the Society are invited to nominate books and/or to serve on one or more of
          the award committees. The announcement of this year's nomination process
          was sent to the list a few weeks ago -- check the archives, look on our web
          site (URL at bottom of each message!), or contact me for more information.

          I hope that interested parties will also feel free to discuss new fantasy (and
          scholarship) eligible for this year's awards, over the next several months.
          Remember: you may think a book is terrific, but if you don't let other readers
          know, it may get lost in the maelstrom of swirling purple phrases.

          Happy reading!

          Ellie

          *****
          Eleanor M. Farrell
          Mythopoeic Awards Administrator
          emfarrell@...
          http://www.mythsoc.org/awards.html

          *****
        • ERATRIANO@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 19, 2001
            It's always weird to see one's name in a subject line, but I wasn't feel
            creative...

            << A problem easily remedied, unless you're short of money. >>

            It's January. Everyone's short of money. ggg But mostly I've just been
            disorganized and hadn't been sure which to start with. Now that I know it's
            Mythlore, it's just a matter of getting around to it, and not spending too
            much time moping that I've missed so much already!

            << Maybe you can set your e-mail program to discard all mythsoc posts with
            subjects written in ALL-CAPS. <g> >>

            ggg Well, you never know when it could come in handy to have a source for
            this stuff.

            << I'd like to talk about books, too, but we're rarely all reading the same
            stuff here. I was a subscriber to the Tolkien bitnet list at the time the
            later "History of Middle-earth" books were coming out, and at one point I
            suggested that we (however many of us wanted to) read the new book
            simultaneously, a chapter at a time, and discuss it, but nobody seemed
            interested. >>

            Those ideas are always good, and so often get bogged down for one reason or
            another. I just figured there would be enough overlap of what we've all read
            or want to read or are considering reading...

            Right now I've got one kid with pneumonia and still have Paks rattling around
            in my head, so I've nothing really to say on wonderful books. But the
            basement is finished and soon, hopefully this year, I'll be unpacking my
            library from the attic. Hopefully with memories to share... It is good to
            harvest titles and authors from this list. For example, finding out that
            there was more Connie Willis out there.

            Lizzie
          • Paul F. Labaki
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 20, 2001
              I'm, right now, in the middle of Lord Dunsany's _The King of Elfland's
              Daughter_. If it is eligible, I'd like to nominate for the adult fiction
              catagory. Del Rey republished it in 1999. I'm not sure I'm remembering
              correctly, but I think books published in the last three years are eligible,
              are they not?

              I'll save most of my commentary for when I've finished it, but for now I'll
              say that I find it lyrical and pastoral in a way that is calming. Even
              reading in a busy restaurant it invokes a feeling of sitting quietly in a
              meadow, or listening to soft contemplative music. The language and style of
              the narrative is formal and introspective with very measured even pacing.
              This style as much as the subject matter makes it high fantasy. If it ends
              as a tragedy, so much the better for its art. I find myself hoping that it
              does. I'm amazed by that, but ...

              The only other Dunsanu I've read is a few of the first _Gods of Pagana_
              stories. Similar in style to _The King of Elfland's Daughter_ but not
              engaging. I've got better reason now to read more.

              Peace,
              Paul Labaki