Dr. Moore

  • Edward Einhorn
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 19, 2001
      > > Dr. Moore has a long resume in the field of
      > education, including service
      > > with the US Dept of Education. He has some other
      > rather odd ideas, such as
      > > his opinion that "The strange fascination and
      > bewitching power of fiction
      > > will eventually unfit [your child] for any real
      > usefulness she could have
      > in
      > > this world."
      >
      > Particularly fantasy fiction, no doubt.
      >
      > mary s

      Disturbing but who is Dr. Moore? Excuse my ignorance.

      Edward Einhorn

      http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
    • Stolzi@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 20, 2001
        In a message dated 01/19/2001 8:19:02 AM Central Standard Time,
        utc_61@... writes:

        > Disturbing but who is Dr. Moore? Excuse my ignorance.

        The quote in full:

        ---
        An alternative idea, promoted by Dr. Raymond Moore and his wife Dorothy
        Moore, is to refrain from formal education during the early elementary
        years. "Our reseach analyses concluded that, where possible, children
        should be withheld from formal schooling until at least ages eight to ten."
        They recommend holding off until even later if possible, to allow maximum
        time for cognitive and emotional maturity before beginning formal studies.
        Interesting idea, but I doubt that it will ever catch on in our hurry hurry
        world.

        Dr. Moore has a long resume in the field of education, including service
        with the US Dept of Education. He has some other rather odd ideas, such as
        his opinion that "The strange fascination and bewitching power of fiction
        will eventually unfit [your child] for any real usefulness she could have in
        this world."

        --------------------------

        As Mary again, I will say that I think the no-fiction idea is crazy and the
        no-education idea even crazier.

        Shades of Experiment House.

        Mary S
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 20, 2001
          Um, thanks for giving us the full quote, but this doesn't explain much. What
          are you quoting from? Who is Dr. Raymond Moore? Is he a person of much
          influence, or is he a nut wandering the streets? (Putting off learning to
          read till the child is 8 isn't a totally new idea. It's used in Waldorf
          Schools, which the theories of Rudolf Steiner, for instance. There have been
          other people who've advocated not reading fiction, though no one of any
          influence. In fact, for pretty much any cockamamie theory of education, it's
          probably possible to find someone who's advocated it and perhaps even started
          a school based on it.)

          The fact that Dr. Moore has a Ph.D. and once worked for the Department of
          Education proves absolutely nothing about whether he has or had any
          influence. Bill Hussar (a member of our discussion group here, who you've
          met, Mary) has a Ph.D. and works for the Department of Education. His Ph.D.
          is in economics, and he collects statistics for the Department. He has no
          more influence on educational policies in the U.S. than you or I. In fact,
          as you should know, since your husband worked for the U.S.I.A. for so long,
          the absolutely worst way to ever influence the U.S.'s policies on subject X
          is to go to work in the Department of X. A much better way is to go into
          business, make a fortune, give a lot of money to a presidential candidate,
          and then get appointed the Secretary of X when the candidate is elected
          President.

          Wendell Wagner
        • qiena@cs.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 21, 2001
            As a former homeschooling parent, I am quite familiar with the writings of
            Dr. Moore. He has written a number of books on the subject, and is well known
            in the homeschooling world. A method of unstructured homebased education
            called Unschooling is largely based on Moore's books. Although I don't agree
            with all of Moore's conclusions and methods, his insights and encouragement
            are invaluable to homeschooling parents, and I relied on him a lot during the
            years I taught my daughter at home. The reference to restricting children
            from fiction is based on his principle that children are highly curious of
            the natural world and should be fed as much science, history, and such during
            those formative years, instead of waiting until they get older and aren't as
            interested in such things and then try to force feed them. He may have gone a
            little extreme in that direction. I haven't read him in some years, since I
            stopped homeschooling when my daughter reached junior high age.

            Sharon

          • ERATRIANO@aol.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 21, 2001
              In a message dated 01/21/2001 5:14:23 PM Eastern Standard Time, qiena@...
              writes:

              << The reference to restricting children
              from fiction is based on his principle that children are highly curious of
              the natural world and should be fed as much science, history, and such
              during
              those formative years, >>

              I must say this part makes sense, and I even had to grudgingly admit that
              fiction can be too much of an escape for us already escapist types. When I
              was little I was interested in make-believe animals, but there weren't as
              many ready-made, so I immersed myself in the natural world, easy enough as I
              practically lived in the forest. Today, my little ones are obsessed with
              learning all the Pokemon. Don't even get me started on the spelling used by
              the Pokemon universe!

              Good kids books are more important than ever; the classics (whatever we call
              our classics, Dickens or Lewis or Farley or Kipling or ...) and also modern
              books that the kids can relate to. Finding them is another matter.

              Lizzie