Re: [mythsoc] Re: Trailer

  • Trudy Shaw
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 15, 2001
      In letter #27, describing to his American publisher how a hobbit (Bilbo, in particular) should be drawn, Tolkien says, "...ears only slightly pointed and 'elvish';"

      -- Should this be read as saying that elves *do* have pointed ears, or only that Tolkien is using the commonly-used image of elves to describe a hobbit? [I don't really have an opinion on this; it just struck me as a curious question and maybe a way to "reconcile" with elvish pointed ears in the movies (in sympathy with the theater employees who'll have to clean up between showings).]

      -- And more of Elrond's comments on the importance of the "small": 'Such is oft the course of deeds that move the wheels of the world: small hands do them because they must, while the eyes of the great are elsewhere.'

      -- Trudy

      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 15, 2001
        My my, it's the old "Do Tolkien Elves Have Pointed Ears" debate
        again! :)

        For those listmembers who aren't dinosaurs (and I know there are
        quite a number of the antediluvian fellowship signed on here),
        this has been a vexed question ever since artists other than
        Tolkien himself began to draw his characters, which puts it back
        a bit. So you can't blame it on Peter Jackson or even Wendy
        Pini.

        From a practical standpoint, it's an easily recognizable visual
        symbol to distinguish elf characters from human, especially when
        they have to be played by human actors. Personally I think they
        look cool, too, but that's just MHO (though backed up by one of
        my favorite Tolkien artists of bygone days, Annette Harper).

        Now should we argue about whether Legolas has blond hair or not?
        :)

        --Margaret Dean
        <margdean@...>
      • David S. Bratman
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 15, 2001
          On Mon, 15 Jan 2001, Trudy Shaw wrote:

          > In letter #27, describing to his American publisher how a hobbit (Bilbo,
          in particular) should be drawn, Tolkien says, "...ears only slightly
          pointed and 'elvish';"

          > -- Should this be read as saying that elves *do* have pointed ears, or
          only that Tolkien is using the commonly-used image of elves to describe a
          hobbit?

          The latter, of course. But I seem to be the only person who believes that.

          David Bratman