Re: [mythsoc] draft: post to e-list re Mythlore reprints

  • Berni Phillips
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 6, 2001
      What immediately springs to my somewhat prejudiced mind is that delightful
      paper about the top ten rejected plot twists in _Lord of the Rings_ by that
      delightful author, David something.

      Berni

      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 6, 2001
        The two Mythlore articles that came to my mind are from a ways back--the middle 1980's--and I don't know specific dates. They both turned out to be somewhat "life changing" for me.

        1. One thing I'm sure of is that the first one was written by Verlyn Flieger. The title was "Missing Person," or something similar, and it was about finding various aspects of a Christ figure in several characters in LotR (rather than one character being a "complete" Christ figure). This was the article that convinced me to subscribe to Mythlore.

        2. I don't know the author of the second one. The title had "Rose" in it (referring to the color), and it discussed parallels between All Hallows Eve and Dante's Purgatorio. I'd started reading Mythlore basically for the Tolkien articles and had never read anything by Charles Williams. I read this particular article because I was interested in Dante, and it intrigued me enough that I read All Hallows Eve--soon followed by everything else by Williams I could get my hands on.

        --Trudy

        We would like to ask list members if they can
        suggest favorite Mythlore articles, or ones that are particularly good for
        a particular author or
        topic area and worth including. Ellie

        Eleanor M. Farrell
        Mythopoeic Society Webmistress
        P.O. Box 320486
        San Francisco, CA 94132-0486
        E-mail: emfarrell@...

        eGroups Sponsor

      • David S. Bratman
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 6, 2001
          Much as he's pleased with how his paper on _Lord of the Rings_ plot
          twists came out, David Something blanches slightly at the thought of it
          being used to represent his scholarly work online. Fortunately it was
          published less than a year ago, so it's not yet eligible and he doesn't
          have to think about it yet.

          Of his Mythlore papers to date, the one he would most prefer to be
          represented by is his biography of Hugo Dyson -- but as he has hopes of
          it appearing in a book some day, he will decline permission for that to
          appear online also.

          The Mythlore paper he would most like to nominate for this purpose -
          possibly the all-time best paper in that journal - is Melanie Rawls's
          first paper, on the role of women in LOTR, an outstanding refutation of
          the tired cliche that Tolkien's female characters are not deep or
          significiant. But good luck at locating the author, whom I fear has
          softly and suddenly vanished away.

          - David Something aka Bratman