draft: post to e-list re Mythlore reprints

  • Eleanor Farrell
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 6, 2001
      The Mythopoeic Society Stewards have been discussing options for including
      more text content on our web site, particularly articles from our journal,
      Mythlore. (There are already quite a few articles from Mythprint, the
      monthly bulletin, on our site; most of these are book reviews, conference
      reports and the like.) We would like to ask list members if they can
      suggest favorite Mythlore articles, or ones that are particularly good for
      a particular author or
      topic area and worth including. Authors retain their rights to published
      papers so we would need to contact the authors in order to reprint these,
      but we'll try to publish representative articles if we can get the author's
      permission. (Our policy for newer papers is to wait a year after print
      publication before reprinting on the web site.)

      Also, if you are the author of an article published in Mythlore and have
      reprinted this on your own web site (or have seen other articles reprinted
      on the web), please let us know so that we can include a link from the
      Society site.

      Thanks in advance for your help and comments!

      Ellie

      Eleanor M. Farrell
      Mythopoeic Society Webmistress
      P.O. Box 320486
      San Francisco, CA 94132-0486
      E-mail: emfarrell@...

    • Berni Phillips
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 6, 2001
        What immediately springs to my somewhat prejudiced mind is that delightful
        paper about the top ten rejected plot twists in _Lord of the Rings_ by that
        delightful author, David something.

        Berni

        > We would like to ask list members if they can
        > suggest favorite Mythlore articles, or ones that are particularly good for
        > a particular author or
        > topic area and worth including. Authors retain their rights to published
        > papers so we would need to contact the authors in order to reprint these,
      • Trudy Shaw
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 6, 2001
          The two Mythlore articles that came to my mind are from a ways back--the middle 1980's--and I don't know specific dates. They both turned out to be somewhat "life changing" for me.

          1. One thing I'm sure of is that the first one was written by Verlyn Flieger. The title was "Missing Person," or something similar, and it was about finding various aspects of a Christ figure in several characters in LotR (rather than one character being a "complete" Christ figure). This was the article that convinced me to subscribe to Mythlore.

          2. I don't know the author of the second one. The title had "Rose" in it (referring to the color), and it discussed parallels between All Hallows Eve and Dante's Purgatorio. I'd started reading Mythlore basically for the Tolkien articles and had never read anything by Charles Williams. I read this particular article because I was interested in Dante, and it intrigued me enough that I read All Hallows Eve--soon followed by everything else by Williams I could get my hands on.

          --Trudy

          We would like to ask list members if they can
          suggest favorite Mythlore articles, or ones that are particularly good for
          a particular author or
          topic area and worth including. Ellie

          Eleanor M. Farrell
          Mythopoeic Society Webmistress
          P.O. Box 320486
          San Francisco, CA 94132-0486
          E-mail: emfarrell@...

          eGroups Sponsor

        • David S. Bratman
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 6, 2001
            Much as he's pleased with how his paper on _Lord of the Rings_ plot
            twists came out, David Something blanches slightly at the thought of it
            being used to represent his scholarly work online. Fortunately it was
            published less than a year ago, so it's not yet eligible and he doesn't
            have to think about it yet.

            Of his Mythlore papers to date, the one he would most prefer to be
            represented by is his biography of Hugo Dyson -- but as he has hopes of
            it appearing in a book some day, he will decline permission for that to
            appear online also.

            The Mythlore paper he would most like to nominate for this purpose -
            possibly the all-time best paper in that journal - is Melanie Rawls's
            first paper, on the role of women in LOTR, an outstanding refutation of
            the tired cliche that Tolkien's female characters are not deep or
            significiant. But good luck at locating the author, whom I fear has
            softly and suddenly vanished away.

            - David Something aka Bratman