Re: [mythsoc] Curry book

  • David S. Bratman
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 5, 2001
      You want an honest opinion?

      I thought it was a well-meaning book that failed to accomplish anything
      it set out to do. It asserts instead of arguing, dances around its
      subject matter instead of engaging with it, and while not being seriously
      erroneous manages to be somehow off base on most of the points it does make.

      And it does all this in prose of high-schoolish amateurness:
      simple-minded, clotted, and embarrassing to read.

      Other people thought it was absolutely the cat's meow, and when I wrote a
      review stating and demonstrating the above, some of its advocates, not
      merely disagreeing, took me to task for having the temerity to write a
      negative review, because it might cause people not to buy the book!

      If you want a book about Tolkien that's well-written, entertaining, fully
      engages with its subject, and makes points of high brilliance and dead-on
      accuracy, I recommend Tom Shippey's forthcoming _J.R.R. Tolkien: Author
      of the Century_ (Houghton Mifflin, April; already available from
      HarperCollins in the UK).

      David Bratman

      On Fri, 5 Jan 2001, Trudy Shaw wrote:

      > While looking for something else on Amazon.com last night, I ran across
      a book by Patrick Curry titled Defending Middle-Earth: Tolkien, Myth and
      Modernity -- published by St. Martin's Press. > > The book costs $45.00,
      so I was hoping that before I plunk down the cash (or pull out my credit
      card) someone(s) can tell me if they've read it and consider it
      worthwhile. I checked the list of the author's books, and he seems to be
      more of a historian than a literature person--which could give an
      interesting angle to the book, if done well. > > Thanks. > > Trudy > > > >
      [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] > > > The Mythopoeic
      Society website http://www.mythsoc.org

    • Trudy Shaw
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 6, 2001
        Thanks for the thoughts on the Curry book. I noticed I'd saved a post from last October suggesting the Shippey book, so I'll definitely be watching for it.

        -- Trudy

        ...If you want a book about Tolkien that's well-written, entertaining, fully
        engages with its subject, and makes points of high brilliance and dead-on
        accuracy, I recommend Tom Shippey's forthcoming _J.R.R. Tolkien: Author
        of the Century_ (Houghton Mifflin, April; already available from
        HarperCollins in the UK).

        David Bratman

        On Fri, 5 Jan 2001, Trudy Shaw wrote:

        > While looking for something else on Amazon.com last night, I ran across
        a book by Patrick Curry titled Defending Middle-Earth: Tolkien, Myth and
        Modernity -- published by St. Martin's Press. > > The book costs $45.00,
        so I was hoping that before I plunk down the cash (or pull out my credit
        card) someone(s) can tell me if they've read it and consider it
        worthwhile.

        eGroups Sponsor