LORD OF THE RINGS STARS MARKED FOR LIFE

  • Joan Marie Verba
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 3, 2001
      LORD OF THE RINGS STARS MARKED FOR LIFE

      Several stars of Peter Jackson's upcoming Lord of the Rings film
      trilogy--which wrapped principal photography on Dec. 22--will take away
      permanent reminders of the production: special tattoos, according to a
      report on E! Online. Elijah Wood, Sean Astin, Dominic Monaghan, Billy Boyd,
      Orlando Bloom, Viggo Mortensen, Ian McKellen and John Rhys-Davies were all
      tattooed with a Rings Brotherhood motif, designed especially by conceptual
      artist Alan Lee, at the production's invitation-only wrap party.

      The cast also presented Jackson with a Hobbit-sized director's chair at the
      party, which took place on the Wellington waterfront in New Zealand, where
      the movies have been shooting for the last 15 months, E! reported.

      The cast worked long hours and six-day weeks throughout December to make
      the
      Dec. 22 deadline, with as many as five units working at once, the site
      reported. The wrap ended a 274-day shoot. Post-production and
      digital-effects work now begins at Three Foot Six and WETA's Wellington
      Studios. Looping (re-recording of dialogue) is expected to take place in
      London and New Zealand. Sound technicians on set say only about 2 percent
      of
      dialogue recorded during filming will be usable, due to the noise of smoke
      machines and planes flying overhead, E! reported.

      Joan Marie Verba verba001@...
      List Administrator for DocEx, Mythsoc,
      MNSCBWI, and MNSCREENW lists
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 3, 2001
        In a message dated 1/3/01 12:39:51 PM Eastern Standard Time,
        verba001@... writes:

        << Elijah Wood, Sean Astin, Dominic Monaghan, Billy Boyd,
        Orlando Bloom, Viggo Mortensen, Ian McKellen and John Rhys-Davies were all
        tattooed with a Rings Brotherhood motif, designed especially by conceptual
        artist Alan Lee, at the production's invitation-only wrap party. >>

        Elijah Wood = Frodo
        Sean Astin = Sam
        Dominic Monaghan = Merry
        Billy Boyd = Pippin
        Orlando Bloom = Legolas
        Viggo Mortensen = Aragorn
        Ian McKellen = Gandalf
        John Rhys-Davies = Gimli

        So what was the problem with Sean Bean, who's playing Boromir. Why didn't he
        want to get the Fellowship tattoo?

        Wendell Wagner
      • Ingbrand
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 3, 2001
          -----

          verba001@... writes:

[...]

          Is there any indication
          to the outside public as to the form of this tattoo? I would be interested to
          see the design. Understadably, if I were getting such a tattoo for being in such
          a production I would keep the design a secret...personaly.

          Ingbrand

        • ERATRIANO@aol.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 4, 2001
            Big deal. Celebs get tats all the time, and get them removed all the time
            too.
            It's a neat idea otherwise, though. I hope they have a fresh needle kit for
            each actor. And I don't know about secret designs.... it'll probably be
            available on the market for a ridiculous price soon enough.

            Lizzie
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 4, 2001
              verba001@... writes:

              << The cast also presented Jackson with a Hobbit-sized director's chair at
              the party,
              which took place on the Wellington waterfront in New Zealand, where the
              movies have been shooting for the last 15 months, E! reported. The cast
              worked long hours
              and six-day weeks throughout December to make the Dec. 22 deadline, with as
              many as five units working at once, the site reported. The wrap ended a
              274-day
              shoot. >>

              274 days doesn't equal 15 months. Can anyone explain the inconsistency here?

              Wendell Wagner
            • David S. Bratman
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 4, 2001
                Surely it means that they shot during 274 days over a 15-month period.
                Even the most stringently time-bounding filming is unlikely to be
                shooting every day: there are setups and such things.

                Incidentally, celebrating the end of a LOTR film shoot by getting
                yourself tattooed strikes me as a profoundly unTolkienian thing to do,
                but maybe that's just me.

                David Bratman

                On Thu, 4 Jan 2001 WendellWag@... wrote:

                > In a message dated 1/3/01 12:39:51 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                > verba001@... writes:
                >
                > << The cast also presented Jackson with a Hobbit-sized director's chair at
                > the party,
                > which took place on the Wellington waterfront in New Zealand, where the
                > movies have been shooting for the last 15 months, E! reported. The cast
                > worked long hours
                > and six-day weeks throughout December to make the Dec. 22 deadline, with as
                > many as five units working at once, the site reported. The wrap ended a
                > 274-day
                > shoot. >>
                >
                > 274 days doesn't equal 15 months. Can anyone explain the inconsistency here?
                >
                > Wendell Wagner

              • David S. Bratman
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 4, 2001
                  I found this comment inserted in passing in a Usenet post on how to read
                  while eating and doing similar activities, and I think it makes a good motto:

                  "If you've never walked into a parking meter, you're wasting valuable
                  reading time." -- Eloise Beltz-Decker

                  David Bratman
                • Stolzi@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 5, 2001
                    ingbrand@... writes:

                    > So what was the problem with Sean Bean, who's playing
                    > Boromir. Why didn't he
                    > want to get the Fellowship
                    > tattoo?

                    I think he had left NZ - one article spoke of his plans to get the tattoo
                    elsewhere.

                    Mary S