Re: [mythsoc] New member

  • David S. Bratman
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 1, 2001
      Paul Clark wrote:

      > Charles Williams I know of, but haven't read. Any recommendations in
      > particular?

      Welcome! Other recommendations noted, but among Williams's novels, I
      think it's generally regarded that the best one to start with is _War in
      Heaven_. _Many Dimensions_ is a close second. _Descent Into Hell_ and
      _All Hallows Eve_ are often thought the best, but one needs to be already
      attuned to Williams's thought to make much out of them.

      Of course, one can get a little of that by reading the "Charles Williams
      novels" by the other Inklings, Lewis's _That Hideous Strength_ and
      Tolkien's _The Notion Club Papers_ (in _Sauron Defeated_).

      David Bratman
    • Stolzi@aol.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 2, 2001
        In a message dated 01/01/2001 8:10:26 AM Central Standard Time,
        dianejoy@... writes:

        > I'd recommend *The
        > Place of the Lion* for Williams. It's his most accessible work.

        Hummm? I'd say WAR IN HEAVEN, myself.

        Mary S
      • Elizabeth Hardy
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 1 7:48 AM
          Hello everyone,
          I just wanted to introduce myself, as I have finally gotten round to joining up. I'm Elizabeth Baird Hardy. I teach English at a western North Carolina Community College, and my scholarly (and non-scholarly) interests lie primarily with Lewis, Rowling, Spenser, and Milton. I am also an Appalachian storyteller and historic interpreter. I may have met some folks at conferences such as the 2003 one in Nashville and at the Witching Hour in 2005 (I presented at each). I am looking forward to chatting with everyone any time when I am not floundering under a pile of ungraded research papers, building train tracks with my son, or reading proofs for my husband, who is a writer and historian.
          Elizabeth

        • Berni Phillips
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 1 8:35 AM
            Welcome, Elizabeth! The storytelling is interesting, but I've never heard anyone call themselves a historic interpreter before. What is that like? Is it a more folksy thing or scholarly?

            Berni

            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 1 8:57 AM
              Thanks for the welcome! The storytelling and historic interpreting go together sometimes. My place and period is 1850s-1870s Appalachia. I dress as a woman from that time period (along with my family), and we volunteer at museums, schools, and other programs to help people better understand history. It's a wonderful way to better appreciate the past and to teach others about it.

              Berni Phillips <bernip@...> wrote: Welcome, Elizabeth! The storytelling is interesting, but I've never heard anyone call themselves a historic interpreter before. What is that like? Is it a more folksy thing or scholarly?

              Berni

              >From: Elizabeth Hardy <britomart3@...>

              > I just wanted to introduce myself, as I have finally gotten round to joining up. I'm Elizabeth Baird Hardy. I teach English at a western North Carolina Community College, and my scholarly (and non-scholarly) interests lie primarily with Lewis, Rowling, Spenser, and Milton. I am also an Appalachian storyteller and historic interpreter.

              Writing book Writing a book Writing child book Book writing software Science fiction and fantasy Writing a book report