New member

  • Joan Marie Verba
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 31, 2000
      >Paul Clark wrote:
      >
      >> Charles Williams I know of, but haven't read. Any recommendations in
      >> particular?

      I realize my opinion may not be objective, but I am rather fond of The
      Masques of Amen House by Charles Williams (available from the Mythopoeic
      Press, though the Mythopoeic Society website and Amazon.com at
      www.mythsoc.org).

      Joan

      Joan Marie Verba verba001@...
      List Administrator for DocEx, Mythsoc,
      MNSCBWI, and MNSCREENW lists
    • Diane Joy Baker
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 1, 2001
        Happy New Year to you, too, and welcome to the list. I'd recommend *The
        Place of the Lion* for Williams. It's his most accessible work.

        I also invite you to consider being a corresponding member for Butterbur's
        Woodshed, a bi-monthly APA. We consider a different fantasy-oriented book
        or topic every other month. You need only write two pages every other issue
        to be considered active! If this sounds interesting contact me off-list and
        I'll send details.

        Welcome---and I look forward to hear more from you. I love Chesterton, but
        I've not read nearly enough Belloc. Suggestions? TTYL. ---djb.

        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 1, 2001
          Paul Clark wrote:

          > Charles Williams I know of, but haven't read. Any recommendations in
          > particular?

          Welcome! Other recommendations noted, but among Williams's novels, I
          think it's generally regarded that the best one to start with is _War in
          Heaven_. _Many Dimensions_ is a close second. _Descent Into Hell_ and
          _All Hallows Eve_ are often thought the best, but one needs to be already
          attuned to Williams's thought to make much out of them.

          Of course, one can get a little of that by reading the "Charles Williams
          novels" by the other Inklings, Lewis's _That Hideous Strength_ and
          Tolkien's _The Notion Club Papers_ (in _Sauron Defeated_).

          David Bratman
        • Stolzi@aol.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 2, 2001
            In a message dated 01/01/2001 8:10:26 AM Central Standard Time,
            dianejoy@... writes:

            > I'd recommend *The
            > Place of the Lion* for Williams. It's his most accessible work.

            Hummm? I'd say WAR IN HEAVEN, myself.

            Mary S
          • Elizabeth Hardy
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 1, 2006
              Hello everyone,
              I just wanted to introduce myself, as I have finally gotten round to joining up. I'm Elizabeth Baird Hardy. I teach English at a western North Carolina Community College, and my scholarly (and non-scholarly) interests lie primarily with Lewis, Rowling, Spenser, and Milton. I am also an Appalachian storyteller and historic interpreter. I may have met some folks at conferences such as the 2003 one in Nashville and at the Witching Hour in 2005 (I presented at each). I am looking forward to chatting with everyone any time when I am not floundering under a pile of ungraded research papers, building train tracks with my son, or reading proofs for my husband, who is a writer and historian.
              Elizabeth

            • Berni Phillips
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 1, 2006
                Welcome, Elizabeth! The storytelling is interesting, but I've never heard anyone call themselves a historic interpreter before. What is that like? Is it a more folksy thing or scholarly?

                Berni

                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 1, 2006
                  Thanks for the welcome! The storytelling and historic interpreting go together sometimes. My place and period is 1850s-1870s Appalachia. I dress as a woman from that time period (along with my family), and we volunteer at museums, schools, and other programs to help people better understand history. It's a wonderful way to better appreciate the past and to teach others about it.

                  Berni Phillips <bernip@...> wrote: Welcome, Elizabeth! The storytelling is interesting, but I've never heard anyone call themselves a historic interpreter before. What is that like? Is it a more folksy thing or scholarly?

                  Berni

                  >From: Elizabeth Hardy <britomart3@...>

                  > I just wanted to introduce myself, as I have finally gotten round to joining up. I'm Elizabeth Baird Hardy. I teach English at a western North Carolina Community College, and my scholarly (and non-scholarly) interests lie primarily with Lewis, Rowling, Spenser, and Milton. I am also an Appalachian storyteller and historic interpreter.

                  Writing book Writing a book Writing child book Book writing software Science fiction and fantasy Writing a book report