New member

  • Joan Marie Verba
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 31, 2000
      >Paul Clark wrote:
      >
      >> Charles Williams I know of, but haven't read. Any recommendations in
      >> particular?

      I realize my opinion may not be objective, but I am rather fond of The
      Masques of Amen House by Charles Williams (available from the Mythopoeic
      Press, though the Mythopoeic Society website and Amazon.com at
      www.mythsoc.org).

      Joan

      Joan Marie Verba verba001@...
      List Administrator for DocEx, Mythsoc,
      MNSCBWI, and MNSCREENW lists
    • Margaret Dean
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 31, 2000
        Paul Clark wrote:

        > Charles Williams I know of, but haven't read. Any recommendations in
        > particular?

        Welcome, Paul! My personal favorite of Williams' novels (or at
        least, the one I go back to most often) is DESCENT INTO HELL,
        though I believe others cite ALL HALLOW'S EVE as his best. MANY
        DIMENSIONS and THE GREATER TRUMPS are also good, though none of
        Williams, I'll warn you, is an easy read. And, of course, as
        always, YMMV!

        --Margaret Dean
        <margdean@...>
      • Diane Joy Baker
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 1, 2001
          Happy New Year to you, too, and welcome to the list. I'd recommend *The
          Place of the Lion* for Williams. It's his most accessible work.

          I also invite you to consider being a corresponding member for Butterbur's
          Woodshed, a bi-monthly APA. We consider a different fantasy-oriented book
          or topic every other month. You need only write two pages every other issue
          to be considered active! If this sounds interesting contact me off-list and
          I'll send details.

          Welcome---and I look forward to hear more from you. I love Chesterton, but
          I've not read nearly enough Belloc. Suggestions? TTYL. ---djb.

          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 1, 2001
            Paul Clark wrote:

            > Charles Williams I know of, but haven't read. Any recommendations in
            > particular?

            Welcome! Other recommendations noted, but among Williams's novels, I
            think it's generally regarded that the best one to start with is _War in
            Heaven_. _Many Dimensions_ is a close second. _Descent Into Hell_ and
            _All Hallows Eve_ are often thought the best, but one needs to be already
            attuned to Williams's thought to make much out of them.

            Of course, one can get a little of that by reading the "Charles Williams
            novels" by the other Inklings, Lewis's _That Hideous Strength_ and
            Tolkien's _The Notion Club Papers_ (in _Sauron Defeated_).

            David Bratman
          • Stolzi@aol.com
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 2, 2001
              In a message dated 01/01/2001 8:10:26 AM Central Standard Time,
              dianejoy@... writes:

              > I'd recommend *The
              > Place of the Lion* for Williams. It's his most accessible work.

              Hummm? I'd say WAR IN HEAVEN, myself.

              Mary S
            • Elizabeth Hardy
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 1, 2006
                Hello everyone,
                I just wanted to introduce myself, as I have finally gotten round to joining up. I'm Elizabeth Baird Hardy. I teach English at a western North Carolina Community College, and my scholarly (and non-scholarly) interests lie primarily with Lewis, Rowling, Spenser, and Milton. I am also an Appalachian storyteller and historic interpreter. I may have met some folks at conferences such as the 2003 one in Nashville and at the Witching Hour in 2005 (I presented at each). I am looking forward to chatting with everyone any time when I am not floundering under a pile of ungraded research papers, building train tracks with my son, or reading proofs for my husband, who is a writer and historian.
                Elizabeth

              • Berni Phillips
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 1, 2006
                  Welcome, Elizabeth! The storytelling is interesting, but I've never heard anyone call themselves a historic interpreter before. What is that like? Is it a more folksy thing or scholarly?

                  Berni

                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 1, 2006
                    Thanks for the welcome! The storytelling and historic interpreting go together sometimes. My place and period is 1850s-1870s Appalachia. I dress as a woman from that time period (along with my family), and we volunteer at museums, schools, and other programs to help people better understand history. It's a wonderful way to better appreciate the past and to teach others about it.

                    Berni Phillips <bernip@...> wrote: Welcome, Elizabeth! The storytelling is interesting, but I've never heard anyone call themselves a historic interpreter before. What is that like? Is it a more folksy thing or scholarly?

                    Berni

                    >From: Elizabeth Hardy <britomart3@...>

                    > I just wanted to introduce myself, as I have finally gotten round to joining up. I'm Elizabeth Baird Hardy. I teach English at a western North Carolina Community College, and my scholarly (and non-scholarly) interests lie primarily with Lewis, Rowling, Spenser, and Milton. I am also an Appalachian storyteller and historic interpreter.

                    Writing book Writing a book Writing child book Book writing software Science fiction and fantasy Writing a book report